http://www.diveheart.org/

Help needed! Have you ever experienced nitrogen narcosis while doing a recreational dive?

Have you ever experienced nitrogen narcosis while doing a recreational dive?

• Yes

Votes: 42 77.8%
  • No

Votes: 12 22.2%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I actually believe that a majority of recreational dives on AIR........ below 60ft....... involve at least some level of NN..... Maybe very minor and that many of us may have had it but may never even know that we had it...

My personal deepest dive ever......OC on AIR only...... was to 165ft in Crescent Lake, WA........ looking for a reported old 1927 Chevy that we did not find because of poor research on my part....... and I have no recollection of being narced.....but I probably was..... And maybe "no recollection" is an indication that I was in fact "narced". :)

When I was teaching here in the PAC NW, part of my ADV course was to have students perform very basic multiplication and short division problems on a slate on the beach, and then perform comparable problems on the same slate at depth between 80 to 100ft. The results for me......and the point made to the students.....was that problem solving efficiency and timelines are diminished as depth increases..

I also feel very much that overall health, hydration and the affect's' of lifestyle or "Partying" can play a huge part in the affects of NN..

At about 95 ft for a short time - 3 minutes or so?

As an answer to OP’s question?
Trimix is the answer to narcosis. A rebreather makes it possible for every dive.

Recreational is a sense of mind.

At 110' in a cold dark quarry with a featureless muck bottom it took me a minute to figure out my depth and SPG gauges.

But then on a 156' dive in a cenotes with 76 degree bright clear water I easily kept track of my depth and pressure, kept tabs on my buddy, was able to operate my video cam without difficulty and still enjoyed the view around me.

Trimix is the answer to narcosis. A rebreather makes it possible for every dive.

Recreational is a sense of mind.
Preaching to the choir isn’t an answer to OP’s question.
We all know that less N2 means less Martini.

Yes pretty regularly over nearly 30 years of diving, starting from a depth of 30m, level of narcosis depending on vis, water temp, current, level of exertion. No narcosis in the last 10 years since getting a rebreather and diving trimix dill for any dive deeper than 25m.

The problem with giving a depth is that narcosis will affect one without giving any indication, until something happens and you realize that you are impaired, as others have given examples with a wide range of depths,

130' during first Deep Specialty dive.
Disappeared at 120'
Was minimally noticeable at same depth, same day, second dive.
Daytime, good lighting per @Bob DBF above.

Recurred many years later at 135' when diving outside a wreck in dark lighting. I wasn't uncomfortable like Deep Specialty dive above, but could feel that I was noticeably stupid. Couldn't remember the deco dive plan.

...could feel that I was noticeably stupid....
noticeably stupid, and feeling disproportionately task loaded are what I primarily notice. Cold, visibility, and how rested I was (and probably other factors) made a huge difference at any given depth.

Back
Top Bottom