http://www.diveheart.org/

How many deep dives have you done and how many times have you experienced nitrogen narcosis?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Right. Another hint if you needed it that I'm a native speaker of French which has a single word where English use two.
I don't think so. Experience and Experiment are quite different words and meanings in both English and French.

I think this will fall into the category of not knowing what to ask for until they ask for the wrong thing.

Many years ago I had a college class and remember the class was to ask questions about the teacher. Not knowing anything about the teacher, everyone asked there own question. In the end, it was pointed out how we did it wrong. The response from the first question should have been fed back into forming the next question. At this point you are learning about the whole picture, not just filling in the blanks on the page.

Guessing this OP is taking a stats class or something and is looking for data. Push the data into some formulas. Have a presentation for his class. Been there, done that. Might get you a passing grade. Doesn't get you the education. Get labeled book smart with no real experience.

As others have pointed out, you need to ask better questions to get real data. What you should learn is to start with a basic question (you did that correctly), listen to feedback and revise the questions to match real data that can be provided. Otherwise you get the 'garbage in - garbage out' data.

I don't think so. Experience and Experiment are quite different words and meanings in both English and French.

According to my experience, "expérience" is a good default translation for both "experience" and "experiment" used as noun and "expérimenter" is a good one for verb usages of both words. Some other words are better in some contexts, but none are as widely applicable. If you don't believe me, I'll let you do a little experiment, put this paragraph in an online translator and see which words are used in the translation for the words in bold.

How are these questions related to a math research paper?
I answered 120 deep dives and 25 experiences of narcosys (of which just 2 severe!).
I consider "deep" any dive done beyond my recreational certification limit (50m in air).
My last deep dive was in January 1990, so these are very old experiences.

According to my experience, "expérience" is a good default translation for both "experience" and "experiment" used as noun and "expérimenter" is a good one for verb usages of both words. Some other words are better in some contexts, but none are as widely applicable. If you don't believe me, I'll let you do a little experiment, put this paragraph in an online translator and see which words are used in the translation for the words in bold.
Get a better translator.

338/2257 dives have been over 100 feet. Only 37 have been over 130 feet. All without noticeable narcosis, isn't that the way it is? I've always thought it was due to earlier life experiences, I'm 69 now.

I'm sure his French is fine. His translator sucks.
I've still no clue which French word you think is a better generic translation for "experiment" than "expérience". Or do you mean that there is a better English word than "experiment" in my paragraph above? In the later case the faulty part is my knowledge as I didn't use any tool to write it.

I was hoping to get a better understanding of the meanings of "experience" and "experiment" in English, currently I fear I'm not getting anything more of this part of the thread than the need to double check every affirmation you make.

I was hoping to get a better understanding of the meanings of "experience" and "experiment" in English, currently I fear I'm not getting anything more of this part of the thread than the need to double check every affirmation you make.
Was just going to post that experience is your long-term knowledge on a subject.

Then I looked up "experience" in a dictionary and quickly realised there's several meanings of "experience" which are different to this context. Language is subtle :)

The general context of experience, as in diving experience, is how much you've done and to what level.
Experiment generally means a deliberate process of measuring something to prove or disprove some thesis.

Am impressed with your command of English as your second language.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom