http://www.diveheart.org/

Help needed! Have you ever experienced nitrogen narcosis while doing a recreational dive?

Have you ever experienced nitrogen narcosis while doing a recreational dive?

• Yes

Votes: 42 77.8%
  • No

Votes: 12 22.2%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Noticeable from 30m/100ft.
Giggling like schoolgirls on a 40m/130ft chamber dive.
Off me tits on 25% at 45m/150ft

Helium is your friend. Rebreathers rock.

One of my characteristic traits when experiencing narcosis is that I don't know I am experiencing narcosis unless some event occurs that allows me to gauge the level of my stupidity. I have never felt anything. Since such events are rare, I don't have many instances to share. I will share a few.
  1. My buddy and I were following a guide at about 100 feet in a wreck in Truk Lagoon (Chuuk). The guide swam through a hole in the bulkhead, and I noticed a short length of pipe hanging down from the top right corner. I was then wearing a conventional regulator set, and I noted that it would be easy to catch the regulator hose on it. I congratulated myself on that perception and noted that I must not be experiencing any narcosis. My buddy swam through, and, sure enough, he caught his regulator hose and had to pull it down to get through. I swam through and felt a tug as a hose caught on something. Which hose was it, I wondered. Do I pull it up or down to free it? I heard the guide laughing at me through his regulator. I realized that those were easy questions, and I should know the answers. I must be narced!
  2. My buddy and I were swimming side by side at about 130 feet. We were using technical diving gear (long hose primary; alternate hanging from the neck on a bungee), but breathing air. It was dark as night. My buddy flashed me with his light to get my attention. He wanted to know why I was breathing from my alternate. It was news to me. Reflecting on it, I had had problems with that regulator and had adjusted the flow prior to the dive. I probably decided to test it at depth and forgot I was breathing from it.
  3. I did almost all of my cave training at depths of about 100 feet. I think I was narced on every one of those dives. Nothing significant happened; I just felt like I was even more stupid than normal. I struggled to remember details from the very simple dive plans we had.

131'/40m leading a dive on air

Both myself (once at 90' in cold dark water) and my buddies (100+ ft) during rec dives, a few times. With air as well as Nitrox

Although I'd been to that depth before on air, my first clear indication of narcosis while diving was when trying to take a picture at 142 ft of an anthias at Molokini; I had trouble using the camera controls. Other instances of clear narcosis at > 100 ft were only apparent after the dive when trying to remember or relate parts of the dive; I had no indications during the dives. In clear water, unstressed, I now can recognize some symptoms of narcosis -- especially the ability to focus and a loss of situational awareness -- at >100 ft, definitely at 120-130 ft. My one dive on air to 185 ft I have almost no memory of.

Starts at 20m (65ft),at about 40m(130ft) it takes all my attention to keep everything under control. Anything under 50m(165ft) get’s tricky.

I dive 130 now pretty frequently and I think I feel a little different than at 80, but the difference is not great.

Only once, at about twenty meters, while diving on cold meds -- yeah, bright, I know -- the whole vertiginous experience and a somewhat pleasurable five martini effect, which all but disappeared, like flipping a switch, upon ascending a few meters.

Hasn't happened in years and I had been far deeper than that, before and after . . .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom