nitrogen nightmare?????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

craysea:
Hi there Dan I'm in New Zealand so you wouldn't be the one having to rescue
me from myself. .........

Hmmm, he wouldn't but I might have to. If you're not worried about having to replace cylinders, then you might want to consider buying larger ones so that you don't feel the need to suck them dry (unless, I guess, you are already diving 123cf Fabers).
Out of interest, where in New Zealand are you? Too many New Zealand Cray Divers think they are fine pushing air limits until one day they aren't fine at all.
Best luck to you. I just hope I'm not there the day something goes wrong.
Oh, and I would definately agree that freediving after a dive is not a very sensible plan.
As you suggest, go freediving first.

craysea:
Hi there Dan I'm in New Zealand so you wouldn't be the one having to rescue
me from myself. I only suck them dry if I can still safety surface eg under 5 metres. Me and my mate are very confident with our own abilities and usually are sob. The worry about having a tank fail due to stress fractures or corrousion are things that don't worry me (they are replaceable). I'm just a very addicted diver whom can't get enough.

Craysea, out of curiosity, are these usually boat dives or beach dives you are doing where you suck the tank dry?

Scott

Whether this is a Troll or just an Unsafe Diver cannot be determined.

What I fear is that some newbie may read it looking for education and perhaps get a wrong idea somewhere. So just in case -this diver's posts are full of caca!

Thank you :)

DandyDon:

What I fear is that some newbie may read it looking for education and perhaps get a wrong idea somewhere. So just in case -this diver's posts are full of caca!

My sentiments exactly Don.

Craysea, you obviously do not place much value on your life if a few extra minutes underwater are more important to you than following a reasonable level of safety procedures/standards.

Your comments and diving habits are indicative of a very young, immature and irresponsible diver. You are on a path of self-destruction my friend.

Any new divers reading these posts, please let him be an example of the type of diver you DO NOT want to be. He is a terrible role model to follow.

DandyDon:

I'm leaning toward troll, given the username...

If not, then I'm sure we'll be reading about him in the Accidents and Incidents forum soon... :shakehead

DandyDon:

Christi:
Craysea, you obviously do not place much value on your life if a few extra minutes underwater are more important to you than following a reasonable level of safety procedures/standards.

Your comments and diving habits are indicative of a very young, immature and irresponsible diver. You are on a path of self-destruction my friend.
MtnDiver:
If not, then I'm sure we'll be reading about him in the Accidents and Incidents forum soon... :shakehead

Christi:

First of all, Welcome to the board Cray,

and to the rest of you ... WHOAAAA there.

DONT SCARE AWAY THE NEWBIE..

Perhaps there is something that you dont understand here. In New Zealand, Diving is something that is an integral part of barbeque preparation, and rarely done to see pretty fish.

Remember also, you are talking about the country that invented bungy jumping, womens sufferage, were first to split the atom and told the USA that they didnt need the protection of overwhelming military might if it included nuclear weapons; so there is an attitude of adventure and survival and doing things our way there that you may not find in other places.

That said:

Cray, snorkling after diving is like shaking an opened soda. It can make the bubbling worse. It is not how long you stay down that could cause problems, but the multiple rapid descents and ascents that could give you DCS, so be really careful. Why not get your crayfish before you run out of air..

Maybe you're right, Mark, but did you see what the local Inst from his country said...?

Xman:
Hmmm, he wouldn't but I might have to. If you're not worried about having to replace cylinders, then you might want to consider buying larger ones so that you don't feel the need to suck them dry (unless, I guess, you are already diving 123cf Fabers).
Out of interest, where in New Zealand are you? Too many New Zealand Cray Divers think they are fine pushing air limits until one day they aren't fine at all.
Best luck to you. I just hope I'm not there the day something goes wrong.
Oh, and I would definately agree that freediving after a dive is not a very sensible plan.
As you suggest, go freediving first.

DandyDon:
Maybe you're right, Mark, but did you see what the local Inst from his country said...?
Yep, I did, but did you see what the course director from his country said?? Remember that I am a good kiwi boy at heart Don and I do remember what I used to do as a young felluh back home. The question was a good honest and innocent one, and I thought he got pounced on rather than counseled.

Now, do I think deep apnea freediving with a high nitrogen load is healthy, absolutely not, far from it, but also there is probably little harm in splashing around in the shallows if the nitrogen load is low.

The best suggestions so far are

Get a bigger tank and do it on scuba.

Dont suck your tank dry, and you wont have to free dive for them.

Xman, by far the most dangerous animal in New Zealand waters is the scallop, but as you say, anyone that has ever latched onto a great cray hole has at one time been suprised how quickly their guage has gone from plenty to OMG.

So what are they doing in Godzone to teach better gas management?

So are we now suppose to look at the country of origin for a given post then decide what his/her safety level should be. I don't think so. According to his profile, he's a PADI diver. Are PADI's standards different for different countries? If he's going to come ask for opinions, he's going to get them.

Jason

Jason B:
Are PADI's standards different for different countries? If he's going to come ask for opinions, he's going to get them.

As far as I know PADI has no standards regarding snorkeling for crayfish after a scuba dive, if you can find any, I suggest you post them,

and regarding checking where people are from, YES I think you should realize that different regions, countries and cultures have different attitudes to personal responsibility, safety, what constitutes sport, and what constitutes someone that has jumped on the "lets beat up on the newbie" bandwagon.

It is not for you or us to decide what someones safety level should be Jason, it is for them to decide, and we can help them make good decisions by mentoring and advising, or we can indignantly and self righteously criticize them..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom