Nitrogen Psychosis

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

*note an embolism is actually any foreign body in the bloodstream ... your mother's micro-sized hairbrush ...

EEEeeewwwwwww.... :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:

Well correct would be Nitrogen embolism. Wouldn't see it as wrong, just as a bit sloppy spoken.

I think you're probably right... it is sloppy... but in being sloppy it *seems* to imply two potentially different possibilites and, basically leave us with almost no information at all...

HOWEVER... your questions got me thinking... which got me researching... which got me to the following...

(From an on-line Medical dictionary)

Gas embolism
Gas emboli result from the compression of respiratory gases into the blood and other tissues due to rapid changes in environmental pressure, for example, while flying or scuba diving. As external pressure decreases, gases (like nitrogen) that are dissolved in the blood and other tissues become small bubbles that can block blood flow and cause organ damage.

air embolism
Bubbles of air in the heart or vascular system that create an obstruction and are usually the result of surgery or trauma.

So... while it's quite possible for a diver to have a "gas embolism"... the "air embolism" seems a bit unlikely... under normal diving siutations at least...

... and then there's the ever popular "lung overexpansion injury"...

Nitrogen "psychosis" is a real and common occurrence. You only have to read the current thread "Why I don't go 100 feet on Air" to see the psychosis in action. IMO narcosis is largely a psychosis when you start having people blame all manner of deficiencies real and imagined on nitrogen narcosis, good old rapture of the deep. Nitrogen psychosis is a mental effect of anxiety, fear and provides built in excuses for whatever demon haunted the diver during the dive. Like all such things, it is not real but a product of the human mind and imagination and built in checks and balances, FEAR being the greatest check, an evolutionary product for survival. NO FEAR, no narcosis (not at 40 and 60 feet or even 90 or 100, maybe at 150 or 200 plus---lol).

N, NO FEAR

I was in the pool practicing my skills and when I went to clip my SPG back onto the d-ring I accidentally clipped it to the double-ender on my reel.

ZOMG ... I GOTS TEH NARCOZIZ IN TEH POOLZ!

:dork2:

Last edited:
Nitrogen psychosis is a mental effect of anxiety, fear and provides built in excuses for whatever demon haunted the diver during the dive.

So... "nitrogen narcosis"
stems from diver psychosis
to create an neurosis
for SB diagnosis?

... or does diver neurosis
stem from psychosis
to blossum during narcoisis
into supercalafragilisticexpealidocious???

:rofl3:

to create an neurosis
for SB diagnosis?

stem from psychosis

Most excellent analysis.

N

to create an neurosis
for SB diagnosis?

stem from psychosis

:clapping:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom