Nitrox - 1.40 or 1.60 PO2?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Caver,
Yes, I am doing recreational diving.

Thanks for replying.

You should be fine. In the future if you ever get into tech diving you may do some long, deep deco dives --in that case - accident analysis has shown that some people may be prone to O2 hits even with PP as low a 1.4. If you want to know more about divers taking an O2 hit, go to The Deco Stop or the Cave Divers Forum and check out links for an accident called "The Crack". But for where you are now in your diving, 1.4 max is my advise. Recreational diving is limited to NO MANDITORY DECO STOP REQUIRED. Any thing other than that is NOT recreational. With a 1.4 PP limit the O2 clock does not move near as fast than 1.6. If one is considering diving with a wide margin of safety, use EAN and dive the air tables or if using a computer, set it for 21%. I must say that a PP 1.6 should not hurt you but if one is doing repetative dives during the course of a single day, 1.4 will be better than 1.6...If you are planning a single dive you can get by with 1.6..In order to adhere to the KISS rule, use 1.4.

Even in recreational diving, I think it's good to understand the information behind the rules you are taught. For example, understanding that some staged decompression divers even further reduce their ppO2s on deeper or working dives might cause a recreational diver to consider doing the same, especially if doing dives close to the 1.4 MOD in current, or with a lower quality regulator. By the same token, it might make the decision to go to 1.6 or 1.8 to assist another diver in distress easier to make.

Maybe I'm a hopeless optimist, but I like to believe that people are generally capable of understanding a fair amount, if you take time to explain things and to encourage and answer questions. I do not like being taught by rote, and I do not teach anything that way. Memorizing rules does not create a thinking diver.

When you dive high ppO2s you take a risk. There are several questions that then need to be answered, including what benefit are you getting from the higher ppO2?

In the old days we used to do Oxygen Tolerance Tests to 60 FSW and we used to dive pure oxygen to 30 feet on a routine basis. There were very few problems. Since then we have come to not trust Oxygen Tolerance Tests, and have cut back our maximum exposure from 2.0 ATA, to 1.8, to 1.6, to 1.4 and now (some) to 1.2.

Clearly using higher ppO2s have risks, and benefits. As they say, "you pays your money and takes your chances."

[/QUOTE]Maybe I'm a hopeless optimist, but I like to believe that people are generally capable of understanding a fair amount, if you take time to explain things and to encourage and answer questions. I do not like being taught by rote, and I do not teach anything that way. Memorizing rules does not create a thinking diver.[/QUOTE]

Agree very much with the above.

Even in recreational diving, I think it's good to understand the information behind the rules you are taught. For example, understanding that some staged decompression divers even further reduce their ppO2s on deeper or working dives might cause a recreational diver to consider doing the same, especially if doing dives close to the 1.4 MOD in current, or with a lower quality regulator. By the same token, it might make the decision to go to 1.6 or 1.8 to assist another diver in distress easier to make.

Maybe I'm a hopeless optimist, but I like to believe that people are generally capable of understanding a fair amount, if you take time to explain things and to encourage and answer questions. I do not like being taught by rote, and I do not teach anything that way. Memorizing rules does not create a thinking diver.

Agree!!

FWIW, this was one of the best discussions on anything I have read here on SB, and I read every post. Of course, I have not read every discussion... so no dis to anyone is intended.

I am planning to do a couple of EAN dives this Friday using my computer set to the proper EAN %, instead of air, as I have done in the past. I reviewed the computer operation, set the PO2, and will re-read my EAN course instruction book tonight. And I will be following the book on the dives.

I look at it from a much simpler perspective. If you dive 1.4 you can pretty much dive all day (4-5 dives maybe) and if you have a decent surface interval, maybe an hour, then you will not have a problem with the oxygen clock. If you run 1.6 it gets more complicated for multiple dives and CAN be an issue. But to be honest, this is a minor issue for me.

You need to understand that the 1.6 is much more likely to kill you than 1.4 (however, either one is pretty "safe"). With that understanding, the most important thing is to look at the actual dive profiles that you expect to do. Will a 1.6 exposure give you significantly more actual no-deco bottom time? Or, will you run out of gas before pushing up against the deco limit with either 1.4 or 1.6? If you find that 1.4 will let you dive all you want without going into deco, then why run a richer mix that has a somewhat higher chance of killing you?

Of course some people will argue that the reduced nitrogen loading (even below the no-deco limit) is a valid reason to use 1.6; but I would rather expose myself to the risk of getting a little bent rather than simply dead from an oxygen seizure. Both dangers (Bent versus Oxygen Tox) have a low probablity of occurance, but the consequences are very different.

You need to look at the risk/reward ratio for your type of diving and then the answer may be obvious.

I personally will push into 1.6 for short periods of some dives, but generally set my mix/depth profile for maybe 1.4 or so.

during my last trip to bonaire the divemasters doing the orientation dive recommened leaving computers set to air and to dive to a max of 100ft. they claimed that many of the divemasters followed this practice on the island. I set my computer to 1.4 just to be conservative.

I use 1.6 as my hard limit but only occasionally go beyond 1.4. Even diving in the 1.2 to 1.3 range on 32% (85 to 100 ft +/-), I find my dive planning (Oceanic data plus computer) is limited by O2 loading rather than N loading by the 2nd day doing 4 or 5 dives per day.

Thats a very good question. Answer - it depends.

The reason you've learned to use increased percentages of Oxygen, i.e. EAN mixes, is to offset the negative affects of exposure to Nitrogen. It's the Nitrogen which limits our dive times due to it's absorption into and then time to be released from our bodies. So higher EAN and higher Partial Pressures gives us more time (though not more depth!).

But like so many things in life, nothing is free... by increasing Oxygen in your breathing mix, i.e. increasing the partial pressure of the O2 in your mix, we are exposed to a new risk of Oxygen Toxicity. There are 2 kinds, the main one we're worried about is CNS or Central Nervous System toxicity. As you probably recall... once the partial pressure of O2 in your mixes reaches a certain level, by diving deeper and the partial pressure builds, you increase dramatically the chance of rapidly and with little warning suffering from sudden seizures from the O2 toxicity. While generally not life threatening above the water, underwater your very likely to drown. The safe threshold for not having this happen is something above 1.6... the military sometimes pushes the limits above this, some training course use a 1.6 threshold, others a more conservative 1.5, or 1.4 (PADI).
So simple answer is 1.6 or below, with 1.4 being more conservative. Never go above 1.6.

A fuller answer lies in another factor in using higher percentages of O2, and that is cumulative Oxygen Pressure limits... which are simply a reality that your body really isn't designed to handle high concentrations of O2 for long periods of time - so there are limits. At a partial pressure of 1.6 O2 you're limited on a single dive to 45 minutes of exposure, wheres at 1.4 your limited to 150 minutes (NOAA table). For cumulative dives each minute at a partial pressure of O2 at 1.6 'uses up' if you will 2.2 percent of your daily limit, whereas at 1.4 you only 'use up' .67 per minute of your daily limit. Once you hit 100% of your limit your done (most recommend stopping at 80% of your daily limit). So you can dive much longer (more dives per day) using a lower partial pressure of 1.4 (or 1.5) than 1.6. It'd be hard to hit the limit using 1.4 - which is why it is the more failsafe recommendation.

What you should consider when diving enriched air... first know the Maximum Depth you can go to (which is the depth at which the partial pressure of O2 equals the limit your shooting for; 1.4, 1.5 or 1.6). Use your tables or the formula MOD = ((1.#/EAN##)-1)*33 Example: (1.4/.32)-1*33=111 Max Depth for EAN32 at 1.4 PPO.
The second thing then is account for, at least generally, how much diving your going to do on O2 at depth all day... if your pushing the depth limits (i.e. breathing high partial pressures of O2) and doing multiple dives - then be conservative and use 1.4. If you doing one dive, have a long surface interval, have a large tank with lots of air and are diving to depths more half way to your MOD, then a higher limit of 1.5 or 1.6 may be worth considering. If in doubt, use 1.4.

Short answer though... use 1.4 for now... to help make this all make sense I'd highly recommend the Advanced Nitrox class to really understand the trade offs of replacing Nitrogen with Oxygen. Its not a hard class a tall... just grounds you in how trading of Oxygen to reduce Nitrogen has new issues to consider. Once you 'get' this, the tradeoffs involved, at least from my point of view , you feel much more confident of what breathing enriched air is doing for and to you and your well on your way to understanding similar issues in decompression planning and even more advance mixing of gases (trimix - where you go one step further and offset the O2 toxicity with inert Helium... but thats another challenge for another day.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom