Question Nitrox diving with JOWD using air?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gajahduduk

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm wondering whether I should dive using nitrox or air when diving with beginner diver using air.

We'll soon be doing repetitive (~3x day) shallow (<20m, ideally <12m) shore diving on Bonaire. I'm nitrox certified and last time I did that much repetitive diving I definitely felt less tired than on air. But my 11-year old son is a beginner junior open water diver and because of his age he can't get nitrox certfied yet anyway. His air consumption is really good for about 10 logged dives.

The main drawback I can think of would be it'll be harder to guage my son's fatigue based on mine. OTOH, he can just tell me if he's too tired to do a 3rd or 4th dive. OTHO he may want to push it… Any other considerations I may be missing?

absolutely no reason you cannot use nitrox while your buddy uses air. if you want to make things easier, you can simply plan your dive (while keeping your MOD in mind) as if you both were using air.
btw....with SSI at least, the minimum age for the nitrox course is 10yrs old

absolutely no reason you cannot use nitrox while your buddy uses air. if you want to make things easier, you can simply plan your dive (while keeping your MOD in mind) as if you both were using air.
btw....with SSI at least, the minimum age for the nitrox course is 10yrs old
I agree 100%. I am assuming you have a Nitrox included package and the cost is the same for you diving Nitrox or air. I too feel less fatigued on Nitrox and something tells me your 11 year old might have more energy than you so the Nitrox should help you keep up dad :). Enjoy Bonaire!!

You might set your computer to air so you have a more immediate sense of where they likely are on NDL. (In addition to planning the dive.)

Or also have them take the SSI nitrox class.

I'm wondering whether I should dive using nitrox or air when diving with beginner diver using air.

We'll soon be doing repetitive (~3x day) shallow (<20m, ideally <12m) shore diving on Bonaire. I'm nitrox certified and last time I did that much repetitive diving I definitely felt less tired than on air. But my 11-year old son is a beginner junior open water diver and because of his age he can't get nitrox certfied yet anyway. His air consumption is really good for about 10 logged dives.

The main drawback I can think of would be it'll be harder to guage my son's fatigue based on mine. OTOH, he can just tell me if he's too tired to do a 3rd or 4th dive. OTHO he may want to push it… Any other considerations I may be missing?
You can use nitrox while buddy uses air no issues, but I am guessing there is more to this. Does each diver have a computer they are using? Not a good idea to be sharing one only as one is on air and other on nitrox, spend the $$ get the kid a computer

You are considering having your son do 4 repetitive dives and you are not giving him nitrox... why?
Because he doesn't have a card?

I don't know if I would set such an aggressive dive schedule for an 11 yr old, but if I were, it would be with nitrox. Especially if I were using it.

You are considering having your son do 4 repetitive dives and you are not giving him nitrox... why?
Because he doesn't have a card?

I don't know if I would set such an aggressive dive schedule for an 11 yr old, but if I were, it would be with nitrox. Especially if I were using it.
You really should not be suggesting giving Nitrox to someone -- especially age 11 -- who is not trained to use it. Nor should the supplier of the Nitrox allow it.

Yeah, he should get that certification card - of course. 11 yr olds can take the class, maybe it is on-line.

Yeah, he should get that certification card - of course. 11 yr olds can take the class, maybe it is on-line.
All the classes I'm aware of -- even SSI -- require some hands-on analysis practice...so purely on-line is a no-go.

AFAIK, for PADI he would have to be 12. I've never considered mixing the cert. agencies. (Maybe I should in this case if SSI allows it. But I don't think either of the local shops certs SSI.) Also, seems SSI min. age is also 12? Evidence otherwise?

Does each diver have a computer they are using? Not a good idea to be sharing one only as one is on air and other on nitrox, spend the $$ get the kid a computer
Yes, he'll have his own computer in any case (probably a rental at first), but especially if he were diving air and I wasn't.

You are considering having your son do 4 repetitive dives and you are not giving him nitrox... I don't know if I would set such an aggressive dive schedule for an 11 yr old, but if I were, it would be with nitrox.
Probably only 3, and spread across the whole day. A 4th dive would have to be a night dive and only if it were still within his limits, which it might not be on air. Some days might not even be 3. We'll be playing it by feel and limits (both technical limits and fatigue for each of us). Which is why I was asking the original question. :)

Back
Top Bottom