Question Nitrox diving with JOWD using air?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It seems like a great opportunity for your son to start learning about Nitrox well before he takes the class. I think it is sad that the diving physics and physiology learned in Nitrox training is not part of OW.

If a person can do the arithmetic, they can learn the principals behind diving with Nitrox, or even saturation diving, without ever getting wet. More knowledge will not confuse him, it will only make him a better diver.

AFAIK, for PADI he would have to be 12. I've never considered mixing the cert. agencies. (Maybe I should in this case if SSI allows it. But I don't think either of the local shops certs SSI.) Also, seems SSI min. age is also 12? Evidence otherwise?

Yes, he'll have his own computer in any case (probably a rental at first), but especially if he were diving air and I wasn't.

Probably only 3, and spread across the whole day. A 4th dive would have to be a night dive and only if it were still within his limits, which it might not be on air. Some days might not even be 3. We'll be playing it by feel and limits (both technical limits and fatigue for each of us). Which is why I was asking the original question. :)
Yes, PADI is 12 for Nitrox. SSI is 10!
But for age 11, he is certified to 40 feet only.
At 40 ft max, it would be very difficult to run into NDL problems, even on air, with any number of repetitive dives. For example, the NDL at 40 ft (PADI RDP) is 140 mins. You could do an entire day of 40-foot dives, over and over, each 60 mins, with a 1h surface interval, and never have a problem.
So, it will all be about fatigue...yours more likely than his!

And, if your son takes a Nitrox course, they will teach him about the placebo effect. :)

And, if your son takes a Nitrox course, they will teach him about the placebo effect. :)
Which is a hypothesis, not a fact.

Remember that there’s no scientific evidence to support the idea that diving Nitrox should lead to less fatigue.
Nor is there scientific evidence that it does NOT lessen fatigue, just lots of anecdotes.

The argument FOR lessening fatigue has to do with diving air close to its NDL limits, but for the same dive you have much less nitrogen in the system if you use Nitrox. It is the less nitrogen that might lessen fatigue, not the additional oxygen. One of the problems with some of the early "tests" was just one dive was done.....but those reporting less fatigue say they feel it after repetitive dives over days, not after one dive. Another problem is lack of agreement on what fatigue even is!

Anyway . . . . since you'll be diving shallow and MOD wont be a factor, you might as well keep your computer set to air so you can discuss NDL with your son and still grab nitrox tanks for yourself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom