Nitrox Equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cheekymonkey:
Well while most agencies say everyone should check their own fills, with that many people its not very realistic to al lhead to dthe dive shop, nor would the diveshop owner have room for everyone, so we tend to pick up tanks a day ahead and have them with us when we go on the trip for the others with names on them.

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I understand your situation with the club. I'm asking what's the benefit of owning one's own analyzer when such situations as what you describe don't apply (i.e. for someone like me who is only ever checking his own tanks).

Rainer:
Sorry if I wasn't clear. I understand your situation with the club. I'm asking what's the benefit of owning one's own analyzer when such situations as what you describe don't apply (i.e. for someone like me who is only ever checking his own tanks).

If you are getting fills from a shop that you trust then I really don't see spending the money on a O2 analyzer. In my case I don't have a local nitrox filler so I am always getting from someplace that I don't know. Thus it is a peace of mind having it.

If a dive shop makes nitrox, they WILL have an analyzer. It's very easy to check their analyzer against an air tank to make sure it's calibrated and functioning. I don't have an analyzer, nor have I encountered a situation where I've needed to have my own.

I always check the mix at the shop and then right before the dive...the closest shops I have use around here rarely get the mix right...

ScubaScottland:
I always check the mix at the shop and then right before the dive...the closest shops I have use around here rarely get the mix right...

What does this mean? You ask for 36 and you get 35, or the % o2 is changing from the time you leave the shop to the time that you do the dive? How are they filling PP or pre-mix?

An analyzer is nice for doublechecking the shop's analyzer, figuring out what's in a tank when the label falls off, and knowing what you are diving with when you have a tank with some old nitrox in it topped up with air. In the latter instance it is particularly handy since the shop may not have an analyzer you can use. Also, if you pick up a tank for someone else it is wise, for liability and other reasons, to have them analyze the tank themselves before using.

I can't image diving nitrox without one. While some shops are very free and easy about letting you use theirs, some make a big ritual out of the process, and it can just be a pain to try and use there's, expecially on those occasions when you want to analyze but haven't just bought a fill.

I wouldn't necessarily run out and buy one right away. Take you class, analyze a few bottles, and find out whether you are going to be diving nitrox on a regular basis.

An analyzer doesn't have to be all that expensive. You can build one for about $100, following the plans in our book, or using one of several kits based on those plans like the one Oxycheq sells. The homebuilts actually have some advantages over the cheaper commercial models.

Well in some destinations I have had the bad luck of dive shops bringing the nitrox tanks you ordered to the boat without bringing an analyzer. In this case it would certainly be nice to have your own rather than having to tell them you'd rather just dive with air for saftey.

As RAkkis has said, check your manual to be sure

Good point. I would feel extremely uncomfortable using a tank in that situation.

Cheekymonkey:
Well in some destinations I have had the bad luck of dive shops bringing the nitrox tanks you ordered to the boat without bringing an analyzer. In this case it would certainly be nice to have your own rather than having to tell them you'd rather just dive with air for saftey.

What I like about having my own analyzer is that I don't have to do my check in the usually very busy and crowdwd fill area of the Dive Shop, I know that my own analyzer is well maintained(O2 Sensor is in good shape), and I can conveniently check my tanks at home whenever I want vs. on the crowded Dive Boat w/ numerous other folks waiting to use the analyzer. Simply put convenience and dependability of the device.

Back
Top Bottom