Nitrox Equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

howarde:
What does this mean? You ask for 36 and you get 35, or the % o2 is changing from the time you leave the shop to the time that you do the dive? How are they filling PP or pre-mix?

It means that I don't trust the shop at all....double check it...I have asked for 40% on several occasions and received 35, 35.5...etc...way off. Asked for a redo...just don't have all day to burn up waiting for them to get it right.

ScubaScottland:
It means that I don't trust the shop at all....double check it...I have asked for 40% on several occasions and received 35, 35.5...etc...way off. Asked for a redo...just don't have all day to burn up waiting for them to get it right.
That must suck. There are no other shops around?

Not in my town.....that shop is 1.5 hours away. Hopefully Nitrox availability will get better the next few years...if I will travel a bit further there are other shops. My LDS doesn't fill Nitrox, yet teaches it. I believe this shop I go to for Nitrox uses a membrane system...they pull the O2 from a cascade, it mixes in a canister to the 'right blend', then it is pushed through the compressor to the scuba cylinder.

I trust my LDS. I took my Nitrox class from them and they are 100% by-the-book. If I show up for a tank of Nitrox, they pull out the O2 analyzer let me calibrate it and read the tank, or they do it while I watch. Then I initial the tank and sign the log.

Its when I'm traveling that I'm nervous. I rent most of my dive gear, and although I like to dive nitrox, the analyzer is behind other things on my shopping list (like BC, Regs & Gauges). So when I ask for Nitrox, I usually ask for it ala "If I can watch you calibrate the analyzer and read the tank, I would like Nitrox. If you can't support that, I'll just take an air fill today." Its worked well so far.

Just my $0.02,

...steve...

Back
Top Bottom