Nitrox mixes above 40%?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't get it, you all treat the CCR like it's some kind of space alien black box. I think mine is really pretty simple and I'm certainly no dive gear expert. It's a piece of gear like any other piece of gear. It's not the answer for everything, it does some things a lot better than others and I do not bring it for every dive.

No, I treat CCR like any other hi-tech ECC toting device with distrust. I see you left out of my post about not trusting my PDC, convenient.

Its called CCR ego and if not managed will kill you. He is correct thou, CCR's don't kill. Its the clowns that pilot them.

I have always wondered why CCR bail out to OC when the pooh hits the fan and not some sort of CCR subsystems?

Also interestingly is when the boys come out to play on real deep dives then generally a large % CCR "girls" switch to OC
Well, I can see where this thread is going now... You Luddites have fun!

Last edited:
Glad to see you fixed your spelling. Don't worry we will not break your machine, it will break itself. ::rofl3:

Hm...it really seems that the original question I posted now has nothing to do with the discussion that's been going on :p Perhaps I should try to summarize the points:

0) Nitrox mixes with O2 above 40% are used for speeding deco, and some tec divers allow a PO2 of 1.6 to speed deco.
1) Some people feel that CCRs are safe, and use them. They consider the responsibility of using a CCR to be that of the user, and are accepting of the potential risks.
2) Some people feel that CCRs are not safe, due to uncertainties in the computer control and whether or not the complexity is justified for every diver.

I don't really see why we're arguing. IF you don't want to use a CCR, don't. If you do, do so. If you are interested in CCRs but aren't yet decided, listen to both sides of the discussion, ask a lot of questions, try it out, get well trained, and then make a decision. If, on the other hand, you're curious about why you'd ever use nitrox mixes above 40%, see answer (0) and move on to a new thread :-D

MIKE

Hm...it really seems that the original question I posted now has nothing to do with the discussion that's been going on :p Perhaps I should try to summarize the points:

0) Nitrox mixes with O2 above 40% are used for speeding deco, and some tec divers allow a PO2 of 1.6 to speed deco.
1) Some people feel that CCRs are safe, and use them. They consider the responsibility of using a CCR to be that of the user, and are accepting of the potential risks.
2) Some people feel that CCRs are not safe, due to uncertainties in the computer control and whether or not the complexity is justified for every diver.

I don't really see why we're arguing. IF you don't want to use a CCR, don't. If you do, do so. If you are interested in CCRs but aren't yet decided, listen to both sides of the discussion, ask a lot of questions, try it out, get well trained, and then make a decision. If, on the other hand, you're curious about why you'd ever use nitrox mixes above 40%, see answer (0) and move on to a new thread :-D

MIKE

That's not the way it works on SB :) Look at all the extra info you got! Whether you wanted it or not!!

Opinions on SB are like golf clubs..... While they can be used responsibly for golf, they are even more fun to use irresponsibly to bludgeon others....:D

No, I treat CCR like any other hi-tech ECC toting device with distrust. I see you left out of my post about not trusting my PDC, convenient.

What is a PDC? I have no idea, there's too many abbreviations flying around here. Whatever it is, this logic would prevent flying in airplanes and driving most cars, the use of dive computers, decompression software to generate tables, etc. etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom