Nitrox problem, is it normal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well yes you guessed it, time for another update! :p

Did another dive at Lake Travis this last weekend, this time we went to 165 to find the bottom for that area. Got toreached depth on a down line and did some of the things mentioned here like visualizing the dive before hand. I am very proud to say that I did not get narced even though we were trying to see if I would and where it was to see if there was a patern. I think this was the darkest dive I have ever done turned off our lights and could not see 1ft away. Must say that it was a fun dive all in all.
Thanks for all the help it was very useful

kalidor's8:

...this time we went to 165 to find the bottom for that area...

165 feet? Is this correct or a typo?

kalidor's8:

Did another dive at Lake Travis this last weekend, this time we went to 165 to find the bottom for that area. Got toreached depth on a down line and did some of the things mentioned here like visualizing the dive before hand. I am very proud to say that I did not get narced even though we were trying to see if I would and where it was to see if there was a patern. I think this was the darkest dive I have ever done turned off our lights and could not see 1ft away. Must say that it was a fun dive all in all.
Thanks for all the help it was very useful

On a single tank? What gas? Air? 32%?

:popcorn:

yes 165 was correct and it was dual tank air, don't worry we did not blow our tables. We stayed there just long enough to get the depth and leave. We also made sure to do 2 deco stops just to be on the safe side. Computer only wanted us to do 1 stop for 3 minutes, but we went ahead and did 2 anyway. Funny though 30 minutes travel time just for a minute on objective.

I will also say this, you really notice just how different everything is once you start going deeper. We were wearing only 10pds of weight and by the time we reached around 140 with BC's fully inflated we would still have been dropping like rocks if we did not have a down line. I was a bit light towards the surface. And VERY cold, I felt like my face was going to freeze even though my temp guage only said around 51 degrees, and I have dove in those conditions before I don't think it felt quite that cold.

:catfight: Did y'all resolve that debate ok?

Let's see, we got a newbie diving to 165 feet on [-]cheap[/-] lower quality regs with a history of breathing problems. Did you get the regs checked, or replaced with beter ones?

We were able to figure out that the breathing issues were due to overexertion and my regs are not that cheap, they might be on the lower side for Scuba Pro but I would not call them cheapies. Yes I did get them checked out and serviced again just to be sure but have not had any other problems with them. I am deep certified even though I have not been to that depth until then and was well within my tables and stuck to my plan. That was why we went down a down line to make sure we did not get stuck down there due to pressure differential.

kalidor's8:
That was why we went down a down line to make sure we did not get stuck down there due to pressure differential.

?????

Deep certified by who to 165 ft? With less than 50 dives? Certainly not any of the recreational agencies. If they did then standards have been seriously violated as far as I'm aware. Also some training was seriously lacking if you discovered on that dive how seriously over weighted you were at 165. What would have happened if you lost the line? There are ways to counteract the lightness at the end that should have been covered in this "deep cert". Like hanging extra weights on the line for those who do not dive a balanced rig. A bounce dive to 165 ft in cold water with no real preparation? Darwin was seriously being courted here. That kind of dive, just to do it is not a plan. It is a stunt that could get someone killed. And what do you mean by dual tank air? Were you diving doubles with air and what size tanks? And when did you pick up your second reg to dive doubles with? And what tables because you were beyond recreational depths and what computer? What deco profile did you come up with before this dive and how did you generate it? And oh yeah you were narced! You just have no idea to what degree. And your temp guage most likely did not have time to react to the change at that depth. I'd say the narcosis set in some time around when the decision was made to go to 165 ft with what experience you have and with the equipment issues you were having. It never ceases to amaze me when I hear things like this and wonder what kind of instructor implies, teaches, or oks by omission of teaching that these kind of things are ok to do. I guess mine was just too thorough. I'm missing alot of fun by diving in ways that don't take me to the edge of getting killed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom