Nitrox problem, is it normal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Short answer...

You don't get through training at the Ocean Corp unless you know WTH you are doing. Just by reading the last few posts, I'd say both of them know WTH they're doing, huh?

The only thing I wondered about on this entire thread was that BOTH divers encountered the SAME issue at the SAME time in the OP. All things being equal without other explanation, THAT sounds like a gas problem or an "effect" of gas problem.

Kalidor's8, I'm curious, what was the origin of the fill on the second dive?

I only asked because Kirby Morgan makes a really good regulator called the Superflow. It has the dial-a-breath and everything like the 17a, with out the big yellow heavy thing. It is also designed to be used with a high flow 1st stage and a large bore hose so you don't get that"I can't breath" feeling at depth. Check it out.

Mud - out

Drewski:
Short answer...

You don't get through training at the Ocean Corp unless you know WTH you are doing. Just by reading the last few posts, I'd say both of them know WTH they're doing, huh?

The only thing I wondered about on this entire thread was that BOTH divers encountered the SAME issue at the SAME time in the OP. All things being equal without other explanation, THAT sounds like a gas problem or an "effect" of gas problem.

Thanks D
The origin was Gigglin Marlin's on Richmond, and after talking with Tom at school we all came up with over exertion with some Goon time for me. He described it as I believe someone else earlier put it as anything that makes you act differently than you would normaly. My buddy Super said he could not even tell I was having any issues.

muddiver:
I only asked because Kirby Morgan makes a really good regulator called the Superflow. It has the dial-a-breath and everything like the 17a, with out the big yellow heavy thing. It is also designed to be used with a high flow 1st stage and a large bore hose so you don't get that"I can't breath" feeling at depth. Check it out.

Mud - out

I will do that thanks a lot Mud!

Drewski:
Short answer...

Hey Drewski... the tanks were filled by the local shop... and the nitrox tanks we used on the dives talked about were analyzed.... We both did not get the effects of narcosis on the dives... Kevin was the only one that had problems with the nitrox... several key factors atribute to the onset of narcosis... overexertion, desent rate, experience, and age/body type all play a role in your tolerences as im sure your aware of. In my opinion all those were factors that affected kevin.... I figured i'd attach the folowing pic for some laughs... also check this site out... http://www.scubahides.com/cgi-bin/store/cp-app.pl?usr=51H9694282&rnd=50073&rrc=N&affl=&cip=69.59.0.72&act=&aff=&pg=prod&ref=scubahides_Narcosis&cat=scubaskins&catstr=HOME:scubaskins

008xxl.jpg

~Bill

LOL if you start doing that then you have some real problems kev-o

Kevin was the only one that had problems with the nitrox... several key factors atribute to the onset of narcosis... overexertion, desent rate, experience, and age/body type all play a role in your tolerences as im sure your aware of.
~Bill[/quote]

The only thing that was the same was the problem catching a breath and that was on the first Nitrox dive. I did react differently that Super did.

Ok, I'm going to chance getting a quality answer, and not start another argument. I thought one of the reasons you use NITROX was to reduce the amount of Nitrogen you were breathing, so as to offset Nitrogen Narcosis. The down side of doing this (I thought) was reduced depths. The up side was longer duration at those reduced depths. As stated before, the OPs problem occured before he reached the MOD (for O2pp = 1.4) let's not argue if this is a good number or not. If the above is correct, why did almost everyone jump on Nitrogen Narcosis as the problem? Wouldn't it be less likely under NITROX then air? I'm hoping to learn here, as I suspect many others who are reading this thread are also.

Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom