Nitrox Spare Air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Snowbear:
Hehe... almost all of those 21 reasons are easily preventable, negating the need for that "one more breath of air... just one." In the event of an O-ring failure, you can still get that "one more breath of air" from the tank as you are ascending. Anything for a buck I guess :rolleyes:

Depends how long it takes you to react. Have you ever had a 1st stage o-ring blowout? When it happened to me at 25m+ all I could think of was "where the heck is that noise coming from?" The noise was overwhelming. I never even thought about looking at my SPG, I was just spinning looking for the source of the noise. Only when I rolled on my back to look up and found myself in a cloud of bubbles did I realise what was going on, by which time most of my air was gone.
But my buddy was there for me so I didn't need a Spare Air.

i know it goes without saying, but that one more breath of air would be as many breaths as i wanted from my buddies tank...seems Larry needs to invent a spare buddy, not a spare air

The Spare Air story ...

Larry Williamson was just a scuba diver on his first night dive when tragedy struck. Out of air at 140', with no back-up air system, and his buddy was too far away. He panicked for a moment and began racing to the surface. His last thought was "If I only had one more breath of air". He blacked out near the surface.

A diver on his first night dive ... goes to 140 feet ... doesn't watch his gauge ... doesn't stay with his buddy ... runs out of air ... races to the surface ... blacks out.

... and out of it my commitment to educate the world about preventable drowning and safe diving.

Nice spin ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

OK - time for a blast from the Scubaboard past, folks:

Boogie711:
OK... I've seen a lot of posts saying things like "I like my Air2 because it's one less hose I need" or "I got a hoseless computer because it's less clutter."

I've been doing some serious pondering on the ultimate in streamlining, and getting rid of all these nasty hoses. It's redundant, easy to transport, and get this:

I've managed to get a gear configuration down to ZERO hoses!

OK - you may be saying to yourself, "Self - how does he do that! I'm getting all excited! With my split fins and no hoses, I'll be able to go Mach3 underwater! Look out fish and coral - I'm coming through!"

Well... here's the secret. Forget tanks. Forget regulators. Forget hoses... the wave of the future is... an ammo belt.

I'm going to take a leather belt full of loops - rather like an ammo belt for very large ammunition - and fill it full of Spare Airs.

No SPG needed... I can just swim along, and as it empties, I can replace it with my next Spare Air. No tanks on my back... no hoses... full and complete redundancy. To heck with carrying double tanks - I'm carrying 30 or 40 tanks!

If my buddy runs out of air, I can just hand him 3 or 4 of those suckers, like underwater candy.

What do you all think?

miketsp:
Depends how long it takes you to react.
In my Tech1 class we actually trained and practiced these scenarios, so yeah - it wouldn't take me more than a couple breaths to react. Keep in mind, even on a single tank, I still have a backup second stage if the first one goes bad (there were a couple reasons for that in the "21 reasons" list). Even if it were to take me a few extra seconds to realize something's very wrong and start ascending, most any of those non-preventable scenarios don't mean an instant, total loss of air.

In that Larry guy's sales pitch, he talked about how he wanted "just one more breath of air" and invented the SpareAir to give him that. I'm saying that even with most of those failures (including O-ring blowouts), you still have at least that one more breath available without the $300 gadget..... And again, most of the excuses he listed for running out of air are not very difficult to prevent from happening in the first place :wink:

Snowbear:
And again, most of the excuses he listed for running out of air are not very difficult to prevent from happening in the first place :wink:

That's what struck me when I read the Web site testimonials ....

http://www.spareair.com/product/storyby.htm#savedmylife

Most of those scenarios are not only easily preventable, but happened because the divers didn't follow the protocols they should have learned in Basic Open Water class.

No diving product should be marketed as a "bailout for lazy diving habits" ... it's just not the recreational activity where that mindset should be encouraged.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Snowbear:
In my Tech1 class we actually trained and practiced these scenarios, so yeah - it wouldn't take me more than a couple breaths to react.

Yes but those of you that have done Tech1 and those of us that have had a 1st stage o-ring blowout are in a small minority. I'd certainly react much faster next time.
I just wanted to make the point that a 1st stage o-ring blowout is one of the few valid reasons for an OOA among the whole list of 21. Something that really takes most average rec divers by total surprise.

Just curious, how do you simulate a 1st stage o-ring blowout?

Now this below was just darn funny. heh.

OK - time for a blast from the Scubaboard past, folks:

:
Originally Posted by Boogie711
OK... I've seen a lot of posts saying things like "I like my Air2 because it's one less hose I need" or "I got a hoseless computer because it's less clutter."

I've been doing some serious pondering on the ultimate in streamlining, and getting rid of all these nasty hoses. It's redundant, easy to transport, and get this:

I've managed to get a gear configuration down to ZERO hoses!

OK - you may be saying to yourself, "Self - how does he do that! I'm getting all excited! With my split fins and no hoses, I'll be able to go Mach3 underwater! Look out fish and coral - I'm coming through!"

Well... here's the secret. Forget tanks. Forget regulators. Forget hoses... the wave of the future is... an ammo belt.

I'm going to take a leather belt full of loops - rather like an ammo belt for very large ammunition - and fill it full of Spare Airs.

No SPG needed... I can just swim along, and as it empties, I can replace it with my next Spare Air. No tanks on my back... no hoses... full and complete redundancy. To heck with carrying double tanks - I'm carrying 30 or 40 tanks!

If my buddy runs out of air, I can just hand him 3 or 4 of those suckers, like underwater candy.

What do you all think?

It'll be great for the undertakers....now they will not have to deal with the bubbles when giving you the flushout.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom