Nitrox Stick Manufacturers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The issue with homemade sticks afaik is that there is no way for the flow of oxygen to stop if nitrox exceeds 40%.
This means you need to monitor your setup at all times when filling nitrox. Depending on how many tanks you fill this may or may not be a problem.
I use a Coltri oxyflow mixer. This shuts the oxygen supply when O2>40%...

---------- Post added April 12th, 2014 at 08:06 PM ----------

And yes, it does cost way more than homemade solutions...

Questions please:
2. Can the nitrox stick be in the same room where the compressor is including the air intake or do I have to install it in a different room so it won't suck air with a running compressor in the same room?

This depends on what is driving your compressor - electric or gas. I'll guess that you are using a gas (or diesel) engine. If so, yes you need to pay attention to where your air intake is (ie far away from the exhaust). But that's a standard compressor issue, not a nitrox specific issue.

Also, not all compressors are certified by their manufacturer to pump >21% O2 (ie nitrox).

That is to say, you can do it if you want, but unless stated, the manufacturer will tell you its not safe with their equipment. Possible reasons for a compressor not to be deemed safe: poor oil control, non-O2 compatible oil, non-O2 compatible orings and AL used in construction, incapable to take the higher temps of pumping >21% O2, compressor was never tested with >21% O2.... Or, their company lawyers would not allow them to take the liability risk.

Bottom line, if you don't know, you're on your own safety wise.

This depends on what is driving your compressor - electric or gas. I'll guess that you are using a gas (or diesel) engine. If so, yes you need to pay attention to where your air intake is (ie far away from the exhaust). But that's a standard compressor issue, not a nitrox specific issue.

Not decided yet but I am leaning towards electric as long as it is single phase.

Also, not all compressors are certified by their manufacturer to pump >21% O2 (ie nitrox).

That is to say, you can do it if you want, but unless stated, the manufacturer will tell you its not safe with their equipment. Possible reasons for a compressor not to be deemed safe: poor oil control, non-O2 compatible oil, non-O2 compatible orings and AL used in construction, incapable to take the higher temps of pumping >21% O2, compressor was never tested with >21% O2.... Or, their company lawyers would not allow them to take the liability risk.

Bottom line, if you don't know, you're on your own safety wise.

No compressor out there says on it OK to use with > 21% O2 in the Bauer and Coltri line as far as I can tell. I am leaning towards using one of the portable Bauer compressors (140 L/min).

No compressor out there says on it OK to use with > 21% O2 in the Bauer and Coltri line as far as I can tell. I am leaning towards using one of the portable Bauer compressors (140 L/min).

Quite right. Bauer and Coltri-sub are the best known for nitrox pumping so you're on the right track with those.

Quite right. Bauer and Coltri-sub are the best known for nitrox pumping so you're on the right track with those.

This is what is available to us in my part of the world. There is also another German company called, L&W Compressor, but this is it.

Actually they both have documentation that their compressors can be used for nitrox. Have a look at this Coltri distributor's web site and you can read their manuals about the use of nitrox up to 40% but I think only to a maximum pressure of ?250 barg.
Nuvair supplier of High Pressure, Low Pressure, Breathing Air, Industrial Gas Compressors

Bauer sells a nitrox compressor called B-Trox which can be used to pump nitrox up to 40% and 300 barg although I would not recommend this if using the IK12.14 block or smaller. They have an extra separator between the first and second stages and each of the stages has a high temperature alarm on it. You can purchase just the hp compressor.
http://www.bauergroup.com/pdf/produkte/atemluft/b-trox_en.pdf

L&W also has a membrane system for sale so they also must have an hp compressor that they use to pump nitrox although I am not familiar with their products.

Now we'll just wait for Iain Middleton of Rix to come along and tell us the real risks of pumping 40% nitrox through an oil-lubricated compressor. :wink:

Actually they both have documentation that their compressors can be used for nitrox. Have a look at this Coltri distributor's web site and you can read their manuals about the use of nitrox up to 40% but I think only to a maximum pressure of ?250 barg.
Nuvair supplier of High Pressure, Low Pressure, Breathing Air, Industrial Gas Compressors

Bauer sells a nitrox compressor called B-Trox which can be used to pump nitrox up to 40% and 300 barg although I would not recommend this if using the IK12.14 block or smaller. They have an extra separator between the first and second stages and each of the stages has a high temperature alarm on it. You can purchase just the hp compressor.
http://www.bauergroup.com/pdf/produkte/atemluft/b-trox_en.pdf

L&W also has a membrane system for sale so they also must have an hp compressor that they use to pump nitrox although I am not familiar with their products.

Now we'll just wait for Iain Middleton of Rix to come along and tell us the real risks of pumping 40% nitrox through an oil-lubricated compressor. :wink:

Swamp diver,

I wasn't looking at their most expensive hardware. I am looking at their portable air compressors to use with a Nitrox Stick :)

That Bauer B-Trox system looks like it would need one big suitcase full of Euro bills.

Bhuran,
May I ask how many tanks you plan on filling a week?
I guess not too many if you're looking at one of the Junior Bauer compressors.
If I'm right on this, I would suggest going the partial pressure filling route. Yes, you need to keep your tanks O2 clean, but this may be easier if you fill less than 50 tanks a week. You can train yourself as an O2 technician to learn O2 cleaning or read Harlow's book if you don't have access to that.
I used to fill 20 tanks a day using this method and it's totally doable albeit time consuming.

Quick questions: how available is O2 in Libya right now? What about molecular sieve and active carbon?

In one location we will use this compressor: BAUER COMPRESSORS - Compressors - Breathing Air - Portable Compressors - COMPACT LINE - OCEANUS

In the other, probably this one: BAUER COMPRESSORS - Compressors - Breathing Air - Portable Compressors - PROFI LINE II ? MARINER 320

For the partial pressure method, it will assume that our potential clients will keep their own Tanks clean and not fill them at other compressors stations that don't have O2 clean air. We will also need to invest in extra filters and plumping where I think the overall cost of the system is going to be higher than the Nitrox stick system, no?

O2 is available in Libya no problem.

I am not sure what you mean by this? "What about molecular sieve and active carbon"

For the partial pressure method, it will assume that our potential clients will keep their own Tanks clean and not fill them at other compressors stations that don't have O2 clean air. We will also need to invest in extra filters and plumping where I think the overall cost of the system is going to be higher than the Nitrox stick system, no?

O2 is available in Libya no problem.

I am not sure what you mean by this? "What about molecular sieve and active carbon"

Whoa, time out dude - you need to do some more reading before you get into this compressor stuff - there are some dangers which you need to understand.

Tanks need to be O2 cleaned to accept nitrox as well, according my SDI certification to mix and make nitrox; all new standards also agree with this.

It can get dicey if your clients use their tanks on any old compressor after they've been O2 cleaned, because the tank owner takes the liability to make sure they only fill off compressors that have been certed as producing O2 compatible air, thus not dirtying the tank. In the US, it would seem most LDS compressors are pretty well maintained and monitored such that we rarily hear of anyone exploding a dirty tank with nitrox - that said "hear" would probably be the key word.

Molecular sieve pulls water out of your air to make standards - if you are filling steel tanks this is critical to keep them from rusting, or from regulators freezing up and free flowing (probably not an issue in your area, just guessing). Carbon is used to pull out hydrocarbons (ie oils) from the air stream - deadly if breathed at depth. Also Hopcalite is used to convert CO to CO2. Google Lawrence Factor filters and read up. This is a critically important part of your compressor system and your ability to produce breathable air and not kill someone.

Read some more compressor threads in this Equipment thread section of SB and you'll get a good understanding of what you don't understand and need to go research.

Alternatively pay one of the big manufacturers (like Bauer) to come and put your system in and teach you how to use it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom