Nitrox Tank Cleaning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Save the money and do your own. It's not that hard. Time consuming, but not hard at all. A couple hours and you've done a set of doubles. You can get the products you need from Global. Cleaner, rust inhibitor, distilled water and a couple full tanks of air for the quick dry and you're done.

Viton o-rings are cheap if you know where to get them.

That may be a good solution for some, but for most, that just isn't going to happen. Dive shops that don't allow their customers to be overcharged for plastic stickers with glue on the back should be rewarded with increased business.

Good to see you posting again.

Somethin-Fishey:
I would NOT count on this 100%. When you PP fill there is 100% O2 in the tank, so the air requirements must meet much stricter standards when introduced to the tank. Membrane and other pre blending techniques never have this happen and the air requirements are not nearly as stringent. I will NOT under ANY circumstances let my steel tanks be filled ANYWHERE that doesn't do PP filling, even if I just want air. One hint of moisture and $350 down the toilet.
Other than remote resorts I have never seen a dive shop that did not have "oxygen clean air" (that is if they offered Nitrox in any form). Maybe I just live in paradise...

grf88:
I believe the Luxfer Web Site recommends against testing the newer tanks with Eddy Current Machines as it has resulted in too many false positives
Don't get me started. NO MORE Luxfer for me. I don't need another door stop. Now if only they exchanged a new tank for the defective alloy they sold me.

Charlie99:
I'm a bit confused on the VIP+. Are you doing eddy current checks on both the old 6351 alloy as well as the newer tanks out of alloys like Luxfer's 6061?

Excellent question - per PSI 'inspecting cylinders' book, p51, "Luxfer Gas Cylinders announced in Feb 2000 that eddy current examination is not recommended on its propietary 6061 alloy cylinders"

So why the VIP+ ???

Also, did the tank come with a green cap... these ones mean that the tank is nitrox ready.

Doing the VIP+ and the price of the stickers really make me doubt of the whole process.

Now, regardless of this, I still have to be convinced that putting a tank on a tumbler for 30 min with a cheap solution in it (simple green or blue gold) is worth $50 - I dont get either the 3 fold ratio with cleaning a valve ($14), that requires at least 5 mins to disassemble and reassemble, on top of cleaning

Are the prices done by weight ?

eric

SCUBAMedicBill:
I think they saw you coming. Typically most tanks sold now are nitrox ready from the manufacturer. But, if you bring it to a shop other then where you bought it from, it's reasonable to say that it must be cleaned, since they really don't for sure (other than you saying it) that they are new. My shop will charge $50 for a nitrox cleaning, as long as the tank is not really dirty and a lot of work doesn't have to be put into it. This cleaning includes rebuilding the valve, cleaning the tank (which if its new, it just needs a rinsing with something like dish detergant or blue gold), stickers (Nitrox and VIP) and tags. The VIP is different in the fact that it just indicates the tank and valve are nitrox clean. Does not include a nitrox fill.

I would definetly re-think using them. $220.00 is not just unreasonable, it's highway robbery.

Good luck.

Bill

I wouldn't say that.. Luxfer probably sells more tanks than anyone else and they are not nitrox ready unless they are specifically ordered that way..

Faber used to claim cylinder were oxygen cleaned, they no longer claim this on their site..

Catalina cylinders specifically states their cylinders have not been cleaned..

ericrd:
Excellent question - per PSI 'inspecting cylinders' book, p51, "Luxfer Gas Cylinders announced in Feb 2000 that eddy current examination is not recommended on its propietary 6061 alloy cylinders"

So why the VIP+ ???

Also, did the tank come with a green cap... these ones mean that the tank is nitrox ready.

Doing the VIP+ and the price of the stickers really make me doubt of the whole process.

Now, regardless of this, I still have to be convinced that putting a tank on a tumbler for 30 min with a cheap solution in it (simple green or blue gold) is worth $50 - I dont get either the 3 fold ratio with cleaning a valve ($14), that requires at least 5 mins to disassemble and reassemble, on top of cleaning

Are the prices done by weight ?

eric

while simple green may be cheap (and its not an approved oxygen cleaning agent by the manufacturer), blue gold isn't..

After speaking to others that were present at the time that the customer brought the tanks in, there was no mention of pricing for cleaning his tanks. I was busy with other customers, Jim dropped the tanks off and I simply said I would see him in a few hours. He may have talked to someone not involved in the repair process. So, my question is where did the idea of $50 for cleaning came from? It is $34 for the tank and $25 for the valve cleaning and service. Parts and appropriate cylinder markings are extra. Everything is tagged based upon ANDI standards.

His first paragraph reads;

"Bought a couple brand new AL-80's today, and took to another shop to convert to nitrox. Called a local shop, who told me it would cost $50 each to O2 clean tank + valve. Cool. I figured I'd get outta there for a little over $110 total. "

He called & was told $50.

25 bucks for valve cleaning and service? I payed 100 bucks to get a set of doubles visualed and O2 cleaned with valve and manifold service, and 140 for the same with hydros. 12 bucks for the big green and yellow bands??? Why put the bands on when your visual stickers should have a marking for O2 cleaning? Did you ask him to grab his ankles when he dropped the tanks off?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom