Nitrox Tank Cleaning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

$220 would get 4 tanks cleaned and filled at the shop I frequent most... come to think of it, at the other shop I use here to. I'm a DIY guy though, I just don't trust many other people to do the job right regardless of their certifications. The certs are just the tip of the ice berg, its the earned trust and demonstration of compentency that allows for me to even leave my regs at the shop for someone to service (other than me).

I don't think so. Both Luxfer and Catalina require O2 certification on their tanks for O2 > than 23+ %.

Stan

This situation is a great example of how miscommunication between two people, in this case, a customer and a service provider, can result in misunderstandings and disagreement. It happens all the time. Both sides feel they are in the right and there are inconsistent recollections of what happened. Rather than continuing with the finger pointing and rude posts, why not learn from it and move on?

Next time, Jim will probably be more specific about what he asks the shop to do and what they will charge for it. The shop will have to decide if they want to leave the matter as it is or try and find middle ground to give Jim some satisfaction that he didn't overpay for the services he understood would be rendered. In the end, if the shop has disagreements of this nature with its customers on an ongoing basis, they will probably won't be in business for long.

Ok, sho here's a question that the customer service gal at PST played politician with.

They claim their tanks are Nitrox ready. Does this include Particial Pressure fill nitrox ready? I asked twice, and all I got was that their tanks were nitrox ready? Does anyone else here have a better answer?

Are they ready for the 100% particial fill?
Do they need to be tumbled and cleaned for this process?

They were bought from Divers Direct, and the store could not fill as the one in Orlando only has "D" air....

VoodooGas:
Jim,

2. All seating surfaces are coated with crystal lube which is an oxygen compatable lubricant.

3. Only Oxygen Compatable Materials Can Be Used- We use only the highest grade materials available for any of our oxygen enriched air equipment. Viton orings, segregated Snap On Tools for use only with cleaned surfaces, MCG Crystal Lube and Oxygen Compatible Air.

What is CRYSTAL lube ??!!

Maybe it is made out of diamonds thus the outrageous price??

mccabejc:
Bought a couple brand new AL-80's today, and took to another shop to convert to nitrox. Called a local shop, who told me it would cost $50 each to O2 clean tank + valve. Cool. I figured I'd get outta there for a little over $110 total.

Took them to the shop, only took them 1/2 day to do the cleaning and fill with nitrox. Cool. I was expecting a week or so.

Got the bill. Total cost: $220 freakin' dollars !!!. That's what it cost me to buy the two tanks in the first place !!!!

Here's the rundown:

They did VIP's on both, even though they had just been VIP'd about 3 hours before, and I told them before they were brand new: Cost $30

Two of those cylinder wrap stickers that says "NITROX" or whatever: Cost: $24. Are you freakin' kidding me?? $24 for two stickers?

Two contents tags: Cost $12

Six Viton O-rings: Cost $15

Actual cleaning of tanks and valves: Cost $118

31.2% nitrox fills (damn, they couldn't even get that right): Cost $20

Of course that's the last they'll be seeing of me. But I'm curious, how badly was I screwed?

sounds high to me but,not to defend them,but to show their menality, where did you get the tanks and what type of vip did they have? Was it internet and just a vip sticker that the internet company sent in?? they probably did a vip plus test..as to the actual cleaning $50. is what we charge but we do not charge for the stickers(they do retail at $12.) or o rings ..The fill we do charge for..31.2% is considered 32% so if that is what you asked for you got it there..The lds probably felt that you were only using them as you did not purchase there..Did you ever but anything there??Is everything you own via internet??They seem to be getting what they can since you may have never used them for anything else..They did not screw you but only charged for what they did without throwing anything in..

eandiver:
Of course that's the last they'll be seeing of me. But I'm curious, how badly was I screwed?

Yep! You've been had big time.

My LDS would do a vip, O2 clean, labels and a fill for $50 each no matter where I bought the tank. They only charge $12 for a hydro.
If they are new don't they already have a vip and are O2 ready or is it different for AL 80's? My 2 PST 100's came ready to go from PST.[/QUOTE]
we get tanks supposedly o2 clean from pst also..don't beleive it that they are o2 clean..found grease on threads of tank several time..Since then we o2 clean them all..

radinator:
Sorry for your experience Jim. So far when I've done nitrox I've gone to Hollywood Divers, where no O2 cleaning is necessary since they have a membrane system. I just use my standard tank and get 32%.

I'm hoping you did the cleaning because of the shop that is convenient for you to get nitrox fills does partial pressure blending, and other places are farther away.

I recently did a hydro and O2 cleaning for an aviation oxygen tank (to hold 100% O2) and it cost $74 for everything. If you're doing >40% you need to O2 clean, or if you're partial pressure filling (which for a brief time has a high O2 content in the tank).

Now that the tanks are cleaned, however, you should make sure they are not filled on a membrane system (like Hollywood Divers), or it may "O2 unclean" the tank.
said by radinator"if your partial pressure filling(which for a brief time has a high o2 content"..what does time have to with it? the instant you have high o2 touch contaminated surface you are inviting a fire..All nitrox tanks should be o2 cleaned, just because one place never introduces 40% or above during fill does not mean someplace else does'nt..Has to be safe for everyone that may fill that tank with nitrox..

oly5050user:
sounds high to me but,not to defend them,but to show their menality, where did you get the tanks and what type of vip did they have? Was it internet and just a vip sticker that the internet company sent in?? they probably did a vip plus test..as to the actual cleaning $50. is what we charge but we do not charge for the stickers(they do retail at $12.) or o rings ..The fill we do charge for..31.2% is considered 32% so if that is what you asked for you got it there..The lds probably felt that you were only using them as you did not purchase there..Did you ever but anything there??Is everything you own via internet??They seem to be getting what they can since you may have never used them for anything else..They did not screw you but only charged for what they did without throwing anything in..

I don't see how any of this matters. Of course he was "using them", they provided a service he needed done. His past buying history there is irrelevant. Or, if it is relevant, then they should have told him up front. If I was told something was $50 and then was charged $110, I'd feel screwed. And if they charged me double because they thought I'd never come back, they'd be right.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom