Nitrox Tank Marking

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IIRC, there was a plan to require various color schemes on scuba cylinders -- such as black and white quadrant markings on the top of a cylinder to indicate breathing air.

Did those regs ever go into effect? Recreational divers too, or just commercial?

Charlie99:
IIRC, there was a plan to require various color schemes on scuba cylinders -- such as black and white quadrant markings on the top of a cylinder to indicate breathing air.

Did those regs ever go into effect? Recreational divers too, or just commercial?

Not in the US,, The UK requires the top part of the cylinder to be black/white split.. There are a few others as examples I just cant remember off the top of my head..

NWGratefulDiver:
Well now ... I've been through the NAUI requirements (I'm a NAUI instructor) and what they dictate is that all cylinders prepared for nitrox use will be clearly labeled as suitable for nitrox use. They go on to describe several examples of how this can be done ... yellow paint with green crown, Nitrox banners, etc. ... but in fact, the VIP sticker satisfies the requirement, since it clearly identifies the cylinder as having been prepared for Nitrox use.

And it's important to note that NOAA's proposals are just that. They are not requirements except for those shops that choose to make them so. It's a business decision ... not an industry standard.
Can you be a bit more condescending? You can interpret the recommendations as rules if you choose ... as a shop owner that's your perogative. But it neither speaks for your education nor anyone else's.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

The link is a proposal because it hasn't been through the comment period.. once that period has been satisfied (and any modifications if necessary are complete) it becomes a rule, not a proposal..

My previous reply sounded condescending on purpose because there is alot of passion involved and alot of the people don't have the info.. Whether anyone likes it or not NOAA is looked upon as one of the experts, as is the US navy.. A good laywer would know this and would utilize it.. NOAA guidlines are not suggestions they are rules that are required for many forms of diving (all us based scientific operations (that I can think of, I am not saying there arent exceptions there just may be) follow NOAA rules) and since noaa is a government agency it, becomes by this fact the minimum rules for everone whether we like it or not..

I would have to see the wording of your NAUI rules, but every agencies rules I have ever read the VIP in itself doesn't cover it.. Although NAUI may ammend or modify their rules because of some of the ways they handle their tech stuff.. BUT there is usually an adder somewhere in all the rules that state:government and local laws should always be adhered to.. This in itself may be enough to probably pull in NOAA rules in the US..

This is the same thing most agencies use to not clearly require oxygen cleaning for regs but if challenged in court they can say they do.. The agencies always add the "follow manufacturer's recommendations" and all of them support oxygen cleaning for any reg that is ued with anything but air..

Most of rules and insurace is to protect the AGENCY not the individual.. Remember when you get a insurance policy the insurance is for is the AGENCY, you are under their master policy.. They have no problem sacrificng an individual to protect themselves, thats why they have so many ways out..
In other countries its not as bad bt with the lawsuit happy US the LDS should be protecting their butts...

AT ANDI we have lots of rules that we enforce (many say its overkill), and I can tell you these policies have helped our stores in the past.. Not long ago there was a lawsuit in california involving bad gas, all the local LDS were sued.. During the discovery period, upon presenting certain documentaion the ANDI shop was dropped but all the otheres had to remain and were all part of the responsible group.

I amways tell my students, don't take my word for it, do the reasearch yourself.. I'll point you in the right direction.. I want you to think for yourselves not recite someone else's opinions.. a tape recorder can do that....

lamont:
no, they pp blend EAN40 down to the desired mix, no need for O2 clean sticker.

as long as its not a luxfer or catalina cylinder.. their standards require all tanks be maintained oxygen cleaned for anything above "air"

If a shop CHOOSES not to follow manufacture recommendations, they gave the manufacturer a way out and probably their insurance carrier as well..

Its the same as with the nitrox stickers, the shop owner has o decide whats important to him... Many LDS are on the borderline of failing business and don't have much to lose... In that case you probably can get some wiggle room, but the owner who has alot to loose really should weigh all the possibilities...

If more stores enforced all the "rules" not just what suits them, there would be less oposition to them.. You don;t see people fighting yearly VIPs (its not a DOT requirement) just an industry requirement..

next time you have access nearthe fill station take a good look, ask about when their last gas analysis was done, what were the results..

Look at the color of the oxygen cylinders, are they industiral, avaition, medical?? look at the helium cylinders - do the same... These simple observations can tell you alot about the operation.

The helium is easiest to spot.. if they are brown or purple (complet or just a collar painted) they are using low grade gas ( industrial or ballon (lowest grade)),the better grades UHP are usually silver (with no colored collar), UHP should be the grade used, and there will be an additional sticker stating it)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom