Nitrox Tank Marking

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NWGratefulDiver:
Hmmm ... interesting. And what's the date on that publication?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Bob its not that old.. last edition was
(Hardcover: 668 pages) ISBN: 0-941332-70-5 Pub Date 2001
, and I gues you really havent read the whole thread... In most cases its not up to the LDS if they want to follow it.. Its usually dictated by their agency and Insurance, if they choose not to, in most cases they invalidate their insurance..

BTW here is a link to the latest addition (draft) to NOAA diving requirements, it involved deco, but also has info on cylinder marking

http://www.ndc.noaa.gov/pdfs/DraftNOAADecoDivingStandards.pdf
(there is some interesting proposed requirements including redundant bladders)

"So, in other words, any cylinder with this banner cannot be filled with air ???"

not really, nitrox 21 is permitted.. The distinction being "air" doesnt meet the same purity standards look at it specifying "oil lubricated compressor".. This is simply an excerpt, you really have to go thorugh all the NOAA definitions..

"Neither was able to show me the requirement for having them, nor have they since refused to fill my cylinders with nitrox"

well you see it here, I guess he hasn't been educated.. Let me know the shop I will send him all the proper information..

"This paragraph is talking about trimix and deco gas ... it doesn't pertain to a discussion about the recreational use of nitrox."

It was brought up earlier in the thread..

padiscubapro:
, and I gues you really havent read the whole thread... In most cases its not up to the LDS if they want to follow it.. Its usually dictated by their agency and Insurance, if they choose not to, in most cases they invalidate their insurance..

Well now ... I've been through the NAUI requirements (I'm a NAUI instructor) and what they dictate is that all cylinders prepared for nitrox use will be clearly labeled as suitable for nitrox use. They go on to describe several examples of how this can be done ... yellow paint with green crown, Nitrox banners, etc. ... but in fact, the VIP sticker satisfies the requirement, since it clearly identifies the cylinder as having been prepared for Nitrox use.

padiscubapro:
BTW here is a link to the latest addition (draft) to NOAA diving requirements, it involved deco, but also has info on cylinder marking

And it's important to note that NOAA's proposals are just that. They are not requirements except for those shops that choose to make them so. It's a business decision ... not an industry standard.

padiscubapro:
"So, in other words, any cylinder with this banner cannot be filled with air ???"

not really, nitrox 21 is permitted.. The distinction being "air" doesnt meet the same purity standards look at it specifying "oil lubricated compressor".. This is simply an excerpt, you really have to go thorugh all the NOAA definitions..

I have ... I was simply pointing out that the wording lends itself to interpretation ... which is really what this conversation is all about.

padiscubapro:
"Neither was able to show me the requirement for having them, nor have they since refused to fill my cylinders with nitrox"

well you see it here, I guess he hasn't been educated.. Let me know the shop I will send him all the proper information..

Can you be a bit more condescending? You can interpret the recommendations as rules if you choose ... as a shop owner that's your perogative. But it neither speaks for your education nor anyone else's.

padiscubapro:
"This paragraph is talking about trimix and deco gas ... it doesn't pertain to a discussion about the recreational use of nitrox."

It was brought up earlier in the thread..

It's still a different topic ... the originator of the thread asked about nitrox banners on cylinders prepared for nitrox use ... not trimix or deco cylinders.

Bottom line ... if you want to tell me that based on your interpretation of marking requirements this is what you've decided to implement for your business, I'll respect that. I will then choose to either follow your rules and do business with you, or not.

But it's not accurate to state that these are universally applied requirements, and that anyone not following them isn't "educated". FWIW - most educated divers I know don't clutter their cylinders with unnecessary banners.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Just play it safe and get this :D

Does NOAA saying I need to do this or that have any bearing on anyone in a court of law?
Another question would be if NOAA standards have been used in a court of law as an example of what should have been done. For example, Joe Schmoe dies in a diving accident. Do the 'lawyers' look to NOAA for advice? Or do they go to the training agency and instructor standards?

As an Instructor, I do not care about what NOAA has to say, I only care about the agency that I am teaching with.

I wonder who gave NOAA a grant to research the double bladder BC's?

I know of cases where lawyers referenced OSHA and NFPA and other agencys, but have yet to hear of NOAA.

In order to send the proper standards to dive shops, you may as well print out a few thousand copies and mail them to dive shops in florida and new jersey to start. The shops that require the stickers are the minority. Maybe they are doing what they feel is right. But the large fill shops pump more gas in a week then some shops pump in a month or even a year and they dont seem to require the large sticker, if speaking from a liability concern, I would think that the large fill shops would be more in tune to what is the correct way to appease the insurance god's.

-g mount

padiscubapro:

eandiver:
what you hate may help others keep you alive.....just like the puking buzzard you wear on your shoulder the nitrox sticker will help people identify your breathng mix if you ** some time in the water. "It points out whats in the tanks" so does the nitrox sticker.

:m16: You tell them comrade. These crazy Americans vant choices everyvhere. Of course, once ve get control of the dive regulations, ve vill show them how to mark their tanks, IF ve let them have any. Then ve can control anything ve vant to put in them.

It vas also very clever the way you put Fl on your location.. I don't think they vill notice the difference.

i wanted a fill of EAN32 in my E8-130 doubles last week and the fill operator had issues because they weren't labelled for nitrox. i really can't quite understand that. nobody is going to mistakenly pick up my doubles. simply because i don't (yet) own my own compressor i got one of the narrow 1" wide nitrox bands to stick around the tanks just to keep all the fill operators happy.

IMO, industry standard for double tanks should be that nitrox or trimix should be unlabelled and SOP should be to analyze tanks before diving, while 21% should have a mandatory "WARNING: DEEP AIR DIVER" bumper sticker on them.

EDIT: Also, IMO (a little more seriously this time), if you want the industry to be prevented from having lawsuits and regulations, scuba divers should be trained on nitrox in BOW, they should be taught not to pick up tanks that aren't theirs, and they should be taught to analyze. Put the onus on the training agencies rather than on the silly bumper stickers. Plus, all those LDSes would get to sell more O2 analyzers for huge markups so everyone would be happy...

Back
Top Bottom