Nitrox Tank Marking

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pt40fathoms:
That's just the kind of thinking that gets salivating bureaucrats popping their heads up from their cubicles like a bunch of prairie dogs. They can smell government regulations about to be created years before they happen.

Nice to see just how concerned you are about your fellow divers. Is this how you feel about your dive buddies as well?

Dive buddies and people you share the cattle boat with are two seperate things. My 'buddies' know well enough who owns which tanks, and what we are all breathing. If some inconsiderate diver wishes to take my tank insted of there own, then what even happens to them happens. If per chance that dirtbag dies, well then we shall let our lawyers and the police hash it out. People need to start relying on themselves insted of everyone that they try to hold accountable. Is the gubment going to get involved because of one person stealing someones tank and croaking? I dont think so.

IMHO any nitrox cylinder should be marked in such a way that it is visible from any angle, ie 360degrees. So the label should go all around the cylinder.
Occasionally my cylinder gets changed by an enthusiastic crew member before I have time to get back to my equipment after de-kitting. If he grabbed someone elses cylinder I expect it to be obvious without risk of my BC covering up a single sticker.

I still rent or use borrowed tanks (i am saving for pst 119's) but I am not a big fan of the big stickers either the tanks i borrow routinly and the way i prefer it just have nitrox painted on the side with black spray paint and mod up close to the neck and when we fill them a peice of masking tape with the mix, who they are for, and mod, if i am not there when they are mixed or mix them myself we also put who filled them. thats my 2 cents hope it helps. oh yea i havent had a store give me a problem with the spray painted cylinders

gjmmotors:
A big green sticker saying Nitrox Use only, only gives the information that what is in the tank could be nitrox. Which I dont think is very useful. Having a sticker that shows %, mod (I use duct tape) and date, and a vip sticker that shows when it was o2 cleaned is the most informative and in my eyes useful way of marking a tank.

If I had to paint a tank yellow and green to make a dive shop happy I would buy my own compressor, or simply walk out of the shop laughing.

In every dive shop I have gone to in NJ and Florida, I never once had to buy a nitrox sticker. They will gladly take my money for vip's and fills and never give me a hassle.
If it is the insurance agencys requirement to have tanks marked or yikes, even painted in green or yellow. Then I guess all these dive shops have a different insurance agency or something.

Someone correct me if im wrong, but dont shops connected to andi need to have the tanks marked in this way to satisfy ANDI standards (one by me used to teach the andi courses) Because I remember asking what the stupid dog tag things were hanging from the necks of some bottles.

-g mount

AT ANDI we follow NOAA standards plus we add a tank contents tag to show the actual mix during our classes.. My insurance doent require me t use the "dog tag" but I usually recommend it since it works out well because its reusable and gives room for all the important info, n2,he,o2 percentages, tank pressure, date and the analyzer's initials....

This tells me alot when I am going to do a fill... I analyze all tanks before filling...

If you read the standardsof PADI TDI,IANTD etc they all have standards quite similiar to NOAA..

If anyhing happens I know my butt is covered, any good lawyer will nail the shop that doesn't adhere to NOAA standards at a minimum..

I also do proper VIPS and REMOVE the big sticker (and all other stickers) on EVERY vip and replace them.. I basically give them away at cost.. Its more of a hassle to remove them than its worth, but I know I am doingin it the right way..

I dont know how many times I see tanks come in with multiple VIP stickers, (if they do I require a correct VIP or trhe person can get a fill somewhere else)..
(or the original manufacturer stcikers that have been there obvoiously for several years)
I carefully explain the reasoning and educate my customers, I have many people who will only get gas/vips from me even though there are many people cheaper and closer to them..

I have found pitting/scaling under otehr stores VIP stickers that were never removed...

Hiw much attention a store pay to detail can tell you alot about the operation.. I know many stores that are willing to do trmix blending using industrial or HP grade helium, I personally use UHP which is considerably more expensive,but I fell breathing gas should be treated with the highest respect..
I also bank all my own oxygen from LOX so I know at all times the gas is pure and the cylinders (bank) don;t have any hidden problems, Plus the oxygen is drier than gas usually received when in gas form..

I don't have much respectfor a shop that disregards standards to make a buck (or has no standards)

As to "different insurance policies"

Unfortunately many shops are ignorant about the requirements imposed on them by their insurance or don't care.. I have gotten thsi attitude when doing xovers and the owners on several cases were very surprised when they actually read their entire policy and realized how exposed they were for their policies (or lack of them).

That's what I get for bad mouthing the Big Green Weenie - I bought 2 Fabers last night and low and behold they have 2 great big NITROX Stickers.

I guess we'll just have to get along :D

ScreamingDiver:
Yep, I have the O2 clean and O2 service rated on the tank, brand new PST 130.

He still said "No" and he only does pre-mix.

Oooh... PST 130's. I just picked two of them up yesterday. I can't wait to get them into the water. :)

I know in Florida the green and yellow sticker is the only one accepted by the divig community. I do not believ ot is an actual law, but the scuba industry polices itself by these strict guidelines in order to keep the govornment out of it. If we as the diving community do a strict self policing job, the govornment does not step in. In other countries, people actually have to have the tank painted white with a blue top. In the us, you can have any tank color as long as the universally recognized green and yellow sticker is on it. we are strict about it so that people don't print out their own stickers off the computer and use any old tank for nitrox. Hope that answers your question.

ScreamingDiver:
I was told yesterday by a local shop that I can't have this for marking my Nitrox tank.

I hate the big green band, and don't want it on my tanks. This clearly points out what is in the tank so I don't see the problem.

Am I wrong ?

If you look up nitrox marking u will find there is no common world dtandard. Most of the stickers u will see are agency standards for PADI, TDI, SDI and such who have agreed on a particular format. NITROX in big black letters will also do according to the info I have read. It is up to the filler who is responsible for what is put in your tank and the agency he/she is certified by.

eandiver:
what you hate may help others keep you alive.....just like the puking buzzard you wear on your shoulder the nitrox sticker will help people identify your breathng mix if you ** some time in the water. "It points out whats in the tanks" so does the nitrox sticker.
If you use my tanks without analyzing the gas yourself then you probably are a Darwin candidate anyway.

If anything its the AIR tanks that ought to be marked, IMO.

Now if you want rental tanks marked, that's OK with me.

All I believe my tanks need is a current Hydro stamp, a current VIP sticker and my name on them. I'll label the gas in them myself, thankyouverymuch.

StSomewhere:
If you use my tanks without analyzing the gas yourself then you probably are a Darwin candidate anyway.

If anything its the AIR tanks that ought to be marked, IMO.

Now if you want rental tanks marked, that's OK with me.

All I believe my tanks need is a current Hydro stamp, a current VIP sticker and my name on them. [emphasis added] I'll label the gas in them myself, thankyouverymuch.
I think a lot of people overlook the potential problems on a boat where there are rental tanks in use. In your case, by having your name clearly marked, it makes it unlikely that a diver would mistake your tank for a boat-supplied rental tank of air and inadvertantly use it below the MOD.

gjmmoters:
Dive buddies and people you share the cattle boat with are two seperate things. My 'buddies' know well enough who owns which tanks, and what we are all breathing. If some inconsiderate diver wishes to take my tank insted of there own, then what even happens to them happens. If per chance that dirtbag dies, well then we shall let our lawyers and the police hash it out.
Cute macho attitude.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom