Nitrox Tank Marking

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know but Caution! Breathing Gas Other Then Air gets my attention just as good, and it looks better then a HUGE Nitrox decal

eandiver:
what you hate may help others keep you alive.....just like the puking buzzard you wear on your shoulder the nitrox sticker will help people identify your breathng mix if you ** some time in the water. "It points out whats in the tanks" so does the nitrox sticker.

So what if you have hypoxic trimix in your tank? The nitrox sticker won't help one bit.

You shouldn't have to use a big yellow and green sticker. Ask if the shop also removes that sticker when they do the VIP every year. If they say no, they are not doing the proper inspection.

Say no to the yellow and green stickers!

ScreamingDiver:
I was told yesterday by a local shop that I can't have this for marking my Nitrox tank.

I hate the big green band, and don't want it on my tanks. This clearly points out what is in the tank so I don't see the problem.

Am I wrong ?

It really depends on the stores insurance policy..
Most policies state they must follow established standards for their agency and established standards.. That basically means following NOAA rules at minimum for nitrox.. ALL the agencies except one require marking similiar to NOAA requirements.. andas far as I know they still don't have their own insurance policies.. (I may be wrong here)

There are no established rules for tri-mix marking so a custome blend sticker should be acceptable for that..

If a store flls a tank marked (or lack of marking) contrary to the requirements imposed on them then they are SOL if something happens... If you don't like the nitrox sticker, get your own compressor and fill your own tanks...

I will not fill any tank that doesnt meet noaa requirements (for nitrox). It doesn't have to be a sticker.. the tank can be painted to meet the requirements..

Oxygen tanks must be clearly marked Oxygen and trimix just need something showing its not an air mix andmust show the actual mix in the tank..

I would be much more afraid of a store that ignores the rules than insists on them.. If they are willing to ignore minimum requirements for marking, what are they doing during training or gas testing??

I don't understand why there is so much dislike of a nitrox sticker. They cost around $2.50 and if you need to do the outside surface visual just replace it.

Trimix is not nitrox and should be labeled with a custom blend sticker. Nitrox sticker or custom blend sticker.........you still have a sticker on the tank identifing the contents.

No direspect was intended with the "puking buzzard thing. My buddy was over with me when I wrote the reply and he made the comment which I thought was funny. Of course he was in the 82nd. Feel free to make a comment about the Marines if you want. I don't mind.

When I was stationed at Ft. Campbell that was the common name for the patch, everyone refered to it as the Puking Buzzard.

I just use the sticker that gives the O2 concentration, MOD, and date.
but then again I only go to one shop to get my fills. I personally feel that a removable sticker stating the pertinent(sp) information should be sufficient, but if insurance companies are making the decisions then it could get ugly, you will end up with more stickers then a well traveled piece of luggage :)

Mike

mlakin:
I just use the sticker that gives the O2 concentration, MOD, and date.
but then again I only go to one shop to get my fills. I personally feel that a removable sticker stating the pertinent(sp) information should be sufficient, but if insurance companies are making the decisions then it could get ugly, you will end up with more stickers then a well traveled piece of luggage :)

Mike

That's exactly what I do as well. I can see a dive shops wanting to put a huge ugly sticker on their rental tanks for the very reason an earlier post stated, you don't want someone taking a high nitrox mix down to 130'. But for our own tanks, I don't think they should have any say in what goes on or stays off our tanks. As long as it has a current VIP that states it's O2 clean they should fill your tank.

I recently (last week) picked up a new set of PST E7-100's to double up. The shop threw in O2 cleaning for free to get me to buy them from there. When I went to pick up the tanks, they were covered with the biggest "Enriched Air Nitrox" green/yellow sticker that I've ever seen. Coupled with the PST sticker that the factory puts on, you could hardly see the rest of the tank. I walk over to my new tanks and start peeling away all the stickers. The girl at the LDS is like, "What are you doing? You need that." I point at the VIP and reply, "This is all I need, if you won't fill the tank otherwise, I'll go somewhere else." :eyebrow:

Mel

A big green sticker saying Nitrox Use only, only gives the information that what is in the tank could be nitrox. Which I dont think is very useful. Having a sticker that shows %, mod (I use duct tape) and date, and a vip sticker that shows when it was o2 cleaned is the most informative and in my eyes useful way of marking a tank.

If I had to paint a tank yellow and green to make a dive shop happy I would buy my own compressor, or simply walk out of the shop laughing.

In every dive shop I have gone to in NJ and Florida, I never once had to buy a nitrox sticker. They will gladly take my money for vip's and fills and never give me a hassle.
If it is the insurance agencys requirement to have tanks marked or yikes, even painted in green or yellow. Then I guess all these dive shops have a different insurance agency or something.

Someone correct me if im wrong, but dont shops connected to andi need to have the tanks marked in this way to satisfy ANDI standards (one by me used to teach the andi courses) Because I remember asking what the stupid dog tag things were hanging from the necks of some bottles.

-g mount

This has been hashed over several tomes over the years, and the arguments are always the same. So here’s the low down on this subject in simple terms.

The scuba industry up till now is largely unregulated. In order to keep it that way we have to clearly show that we are responsible and take the well being of ourselves and others seriously. If we wish to use high pressure cylinders we need to inspect them annually to ensure safe operation. If we put anything in those cylinders other than air, we must label them with clearly visible and universally recognized markings that indicate contents other than air may be inside. If we don’t do this, then someone is hurt or killed while scuba diving and using a cylinder filled with something other than air, which does not have a clearly labeled marking of universally recognizable nature on it. WE ALL get to experience the inner working of government bureaucracy, and will have to conform to regulations dreamed up by people who most likely have never been under water!

So get off this “I don’t like the color” garbage, and realize that you may be putting in jeopardy the very freedom we so readily enjoy in the sport we all love. Or do you WANT government imposed regulations on the scuba industry?

The 3 shops I frequent in my area do not "require' a green and yellow sticker (although I do get questioned about NOT having them at one store, though they will fill them for me). My back gas cylinders have O2 clean VIP stickers on them and a 3" strip of white duct tape with contents, MOD, and fill date. My deco/stage bottles all have 3" permanent MOD numbers on them. Any diver NOT paying enough attention to get his/her own cylinders gets what they have coming. Maybe they need to come up with a universal standard about awareness......

matt t.:
Any diver NOT paying enough attention to get his/her own cylinders gets what they have coming.

That's just the kind of thinking that gets salivating bureaucrats popping their heads up from their cubicles like a bunch of prairie dogs. They can smell government regulations about to be created years before they happen.

Nice to see just how concerned you are about your fellow divers. Is this how you feel about your dive buddies as well?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom