Nitrox users-- do you own an O2 analyzer/meter?

Do you own an oxygen meter?

• Yes, a helpful piece of gear.

Votes: 62 45.6%
  • Yes, but I wish I'd just saved the money.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, never seen the need for it.

Votes: 21 15.4%
  • No, but I wish I did.

Votes: 50 36.8%
  • Isn't Nitrox what they give me at the dentist?

Votes: 3 2.2%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I always test, immediately before hooking up my first stage to the tank. Even if I know that what was in the tank before, and I watched it get filled from the air whip at the shop, I'll still confirm that it has the % that I expect.

All my diving is "travel diving". I know that it ain't that big, but an analyzer loses out when packing for a trip based upon the following:

1) I check with whomever I'm diving with (if I plan to dive Nitrox) regarding the availability of analyzers. Even if I am on a boat dive, I've never seen the delay discussed in this thread - I mean, c'mon, what are you doing during the ride?

2) When I check with whomever I'm diving with, I ask if the analyzer can be calibrated in open air, or if they will have non-Nitrox tanks available - almost always the answer is yes to both questions. This alleviates the "you know if your device is correct". I'm sorry, but after airline baggage handling, how is my own device (calibrated in the same fashion) going to be "known correct"?

3) At worst, if I'm not comfortable with the analyzer, etc, I dive air. As a rec Nitrox diver, in only rare instances would this be an issue.

StSomewhere:
An analyzer isn't something I'd put in checked baggage.

Between computers (laptop & dive), regs and camera equipment, plus carry-on allowances that are pretty tight some places, it still loses...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom