Nitrox?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I doubt there will ever be a well-designed, adequately powered clinical trial to answer the question regarding fatigue in air vs. nitrox diving. The design of such a trial is not the difficult part. Having an acceptable, validated measurement tool for fatigue is the major impediment. Who would pay for such a trial, this is not an important question in diving.

I can't remember the last time I dived air, I cannnot make the comparison. I appreciate the longer bottom times and reasonable SIs afforded by diving nitrox. My RMV is reasonable, I enjoy having more dives not limited by my NDL.

I do not argue with folks claiming a fatigue advantage with nitrox, it is subjective. To each their own.

Diving Hyperb Med

. 2010 Sep;40(3):114-8.

Evaluation of critical flicker fusion frequency and perceived fatigue in divers after air and enriched air nitrox diving​

Pierre Lafère 1, Costantino Balestra, Walter Hemelryck, Nicola Donda, Ahmed Sakr, Adel Taher, Sandro Marroni, Peter Germonpré
Affiliations expand
  • PMID: 23111908

Abstract​

Introduction: Many divers report less fatigue following dives breathing enriched air nitrox (EANx) compared with breathing air. A reduction of post-dive fatigue with EANx would suggest a pathological origin, possibly the presence of asymptomatic nitrogen bubbles in the body after a dive.
Method: We studied fatigue in 219 healthy divers performing either an air (n = 121) or EANx32 (oxygen 32%, nitrogen 68%; n = 98) dive to 21.2 ± 4 metres' sea water for 43.3 ± 8.6 minutes in tropical open-water conditions. Divers were assessed pre-dive and 30-60 minutes after surfacing using a visual analog scale (VAS) of fatigue and critical flicker fusion frequency (CFFF).
Results: The two groups were comparable in sex ratio, age and diving experience. The change in perceived fatigue level after a single dive was significantly lower when EANx was breathed compared to air dives (VAS; P < 0.001). Compared to pre-dive, CFFF decreased by 6% in the air group (P < 0.01) but increased by 4% in the EANx group (P < 0.05). The post-dive difference between the two groups was highly significant (P < 0.001).
Conclusions: Three hypotheses should be considered to explain the difference in post-dive fatigue and alertness between the air and EANx groups: a nitrogen effect, an oxygen effect and a bubble effect. These involve complex phenomena in the functional modifications of the nervous system in hyperbaric environments according to the type of gas used for the dive, and more research will be required to elucidate them.

Just like all that deep breathing when I used to freedive a lot. My body and brain would get oxygenated and I felt great. When I dive nitrox my body and brain get more oxygenated with the increased PPO2 and less N. I have great more vivid dreams and I feel great!
Screw all of you, you can debunk all you want I don’t buy it.
I love my nitrox and YES it makes me feel better!

Speaking from my own experiences ONLY.
I do feeling better after every nitrox dive from EAN 21 - 36.
I couldn't careless what others claimed cause it is none of my business.

Is critical flicker fusion frequency an accepted and validated marker for fatigue? Is there more data in the last 13 years? Personally, I don't find the study design acceptable. Ideally, the same divers would do the same dives in a blinded manner with either air or nitrox. This is not even close,

Just like all that deep breathing when I used to freedive a lot. My body and brain would get oxygenated and I felt great. When I dive nitrox my body and brain get more oxygenated with the increased PPO2 and less N. I have great more vivid dreams and I feel great!
Screw all of you, you can debunk all you want I don’t buy it.
I love my nitrox and YES it makes me feel better!
You blew off your CO2 before your freedives and blunted the stimulus to breathe. That is how shallow water blackouts occur, lack of oxygen.

$170 for a perfectly good recreational computer with big enough numbers to read for old people. Tell me why he needs to spend $675 on a Shearwater Peregrine.

$170 for a perfectly good recreational computer with big enough numbers to read for old people. Tell me why he needs to spend $675 on a Shearwater Peregrine.

If he doesn't want to dive the PZ+ deco algorithm. I would imagine it would be fine for @mac66

Back
Top Bottom