Nitrox?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm 6 foot 2 inches full clothed weight 180 pounds and I notice benefits of using nitrox.

So am I in your walking heart attack can't get up from the seat stereotype?
"Almost to a one,“ seems to me, a qualifier and about as clear ”as an azure sky of deepest summer"-- and it's great that you seem to found some measurable benefit that I have never experienced.

A friend, who now swears by nitrox seems largely incapable or even unwilling to correlate his recent stoppage of a thirty-plus year habit of chain-smoking unfiltered Canadian cigarettes, to his new-found comfort and longevity while diving EAN.

I just don't think that it's really necessary to drop US 110.00 on a nitrox 32 air-card, for what many still view as a highly profitable though largely placebo effect . . .

I am saying that I have found dives, as a whole, where I experienced narcosis to be more fatiguing than similar dives where I didn't experience it.
The correlation is evident, but the cause-effect relationship is reversed: when you fatigue during your dive you produce a lot of CO2, which causes narcosis...

I'm 6' 3", 210 pounds, and have also been using nitrox since the 90s. I've never noticed any difference. I used to dive deep air with double steel 120s and two 40 cu ft deco bottles. Moving all of that through water is a lot of work. I always made incredibly slow ascents, especially the last fifteen feet, and was never too tired to pull my tanks back on board as well as my buddies' tanks and the anchor/chain. One of my buddies used to call me freakishly strong. For the past ten years, most of my diving has been using nitrox as deep as 40 meters. I understand how the placebo effect works, therefore I don't notice any reduction in fatigue. I dive steel 130s. After a day of diving, I carry my tanks as well as Merry's from the boat to the car, plus clean the boat. Diving is a lot of work. If it caused noticeable fatigue, I'd probably switch to lighter tanks.

I'm 6' 3", 210 pounds, and have also been using nitrox since the 90s. I've never noticed any difference. I used to dive deep air with double steel 120s and two 40 cu ft deco bottles. Moving all of that through water is a lot of work. I always made incredibly slow ascents, especially the last fifteen feet, and was never too tired to pull my tanks back on board as well as my buddies' tanks and the anchor/chain. One of my buddies used to call me freakishly strong. For the past ten years, most of my diving has been using nitrox as deep as 40 meters. I understand how the placebo effect works, therefore I don't notice any reduction in fatigue. I dive steel 130s. After a day of diving, I carry my tanks as well as Merry's from the boat to the car, plus clean the boat. Diving is a lot of work. If it caused noticeable fatigue, I'd probably switch to lighter tanks.
“One of my buddies used to call me freakishly strong”.
Ross?

Yes. He would try to pull up the anchor from a deep dive and tire out after about fifty feet or so. I would then pull the rest up quickly. (Showing off)

Perceived fatigue improvements may be attributable to differences in VO2 uptake. The diver that notes the improvement is likely the diver with a lower VO2 uptake. At the beginning of the dive that diver is likely breathing faster, and likely has an O2 sat in the mid 90s vice high 90s-100 for the other diver. This (again likely) carries through for the entire dive with the less fit diver pushing that extra bit to stay with the leisurely pace of the other. At the end of the dive, the cumulative effects of an hour spent with an O2 sat in the mid 90s will be fatigue. Simply breathing EAN32 for that hour will be noticed as less fatigue.

I just did my nitrox course today and I generally dive within OW limits. Same today, we only went to 55 ft. I dunno if it is placebo or something else, but I felt unusually energetic after the dive, 32% nitrox. After that we did a regular air dive and for some reason it lasted me much less, and the usual post dive tiredness was back.

Download the instructions for any computer youre interested. Then again for the Shearwater Perdix or Terric.

After a few manuals, I found some extra cash quick.

I just did my nitrox course today and I generally dive within OW limits. Same today, we only went to 55 ft. I dunno if it is placebo or something else, but I felt unusually energetic after the dive, 32% nitrox. After that we did a regular air dive and for some reason it lasted me much less, and the usual post dive tiredness was back.

OW limits... the same as recreational depth limits... 40m.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom