Nitrox?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

$170 for a perfectly good recreational computer with big enough numbers to read for old people. Tell me why he needs to spend $675 on a Shearwater Peregrine.

Can’t imagine anyone would be able to tell you why, given that Peregrines don’t cost that much.

Can’t imagine anyone would be able to tell you why, given that Peregrines don’t cost that much.
post 37 in this thread says otherwise.

Edit: Sorry I'm presently visiting Canada and that is Canadian Dollars, my bad.

Nitrogen narcosis goes away if you ascend a bit. Are you saying it gives you fatigue that stays with you?
I am saying that I have found dives, as a whole, where I experienced narcosis to be more fatiguing than similar dives where I didn't experience it.

I've appeared to have opened a can of worms...LOL

I really appreciate all the feedback I've gotten. It's very interesting.

What I've decided to do is...

A. pick up a cheap dive computer
B. Continue to dive my OW dives on cruises, which are typically fairly short (35-45 mins) and not too deep (<60')
C. Look into getting nitrox if/when i decide to get more into diving and/or join a dive club if we decide to spend the winters in Florida next year.

B. Continue to dive my OW dives on cruises, which are typically fairly short (35-45 mins) and not too deep (<60')
C. Look into getting nitrox if/when i decide to get more into diving and/or join a dive club if we decide to spend the winters in Florida next year.
I think you’re on the right track.

That’s about typical for scubaboard, lol!

You have decided well, good plan 👍

Something that I had noticed while working boats over the years, while in school, was that, for a sport that required some strenuous activity and, at the very least, some upper body strength, scuba also seems to attract some of the least physically fit people of most any popular pursuit that I have ever seen; and it was not uncommon to see divers sporting thirty-plus pound weight-belts; a fair share of highly-custom suits; an all-too common incapability of standing from a bench seat while fitted with gear; and we had clear instructions to keep a close eye on each of them.

Almost to a one, those who claimed the greatest benefit from nitrox use, usually fell into that large and in charge category; and perhaps there was something to said for that, in terms of a potential benefit?

I have personally used nitrox since it first became widely available, back in the early 1990s, and had noticed little to no discernible difference between EAN use and that of air -- and typically only use it, nowadays, while spending the lion's share of time below 20-30 meters, but find it an utter waste on shallow repetitive dives.

More often than not, I still mostly dive with air, in Northern California, where it is quite easy to find yourself well below nitrox depths . . .

Almost to a one, those who claimed the greatest benefit from nitrox use, usually fell into that large and in charge category; and perhaps there is something to said for that, in terms of some potential benbenefitim

I'm 6 foot 2 inches full clothed weight 180 pounds and I notice benefits of using nitrox.

So am I in your walking heart attack can't get up from the seat stereotype?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom