Niue - Help/Advice Please :)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, you are right. I was just informed that shore dives are no no. But apparently we can do snokeling around the island. Do you have any recommendations for the snorkel sites?

By the way, do you have any recommendations for places to stay in Niue. We would prefer of course to stay as close as possible to the Dive operator.

We were told there is a backpackers place in Alofi - but you would need to hire a car to get to and from the dive shop each day (approx. 10 minutes drive).

The dive operator is located alongside the Matavai resort. Have you been there?

There is also Nic's motel and Lanu Tahi guesthouse. Any suggestions?

We are staying at Nic'd this year as it is right opposite the dive shop. You'll need a car no matter where you stay, in my opinion. There is no public transport and it makes it easier to get around the island to snorkel and to do some of the walks.
If you stay at Nic's , they''ll organise a car for you a tiny bit cheaper than if you hire yourself. Stone Cottages in Alofi is also a great place to say, but you'll have to drive to the dive shop every day (about 15 mins max ). You will however be able to walk to the shops from here.

The Matavai is ok . IT is the only hotel on the island. It has a pool and a restaurant open for lunch and dinner (and breakfast if you stay there). Quite pricey and no option to self cater (if that is your thing). Great deck out side the restaurant -ideal for whale watching.

My friend and I are trying to choose between the three places- Matavai, Nic's Bungalow, and Lanutahi.

Of the three. Lanutahi is the cheapest and also has two days free car hire. It seems to also have a kitchen where you can cook your own food. Have you heard anything good or bad about the latter? What made you choose Nic's over the other two may I ask?

Last time we were there was late April and it was quite humid. We chose Nic's because it had air con, we could self cater and it was so close to the dive shop. Lanutahi is another good choice if you wish to self cater and is also close to the dive shop. If you want a pool and great sea-views from the deck of the restaurant, then the Matavai is the place to stay, but there are no cooking facilities.
It is such a shame the Niue website is not working (Welcome to Niue) as you would find all the information you needed on it. I have emailed our friends in Niue to let them know and they were going to let the appropriate people know. You can make bookings and organise car hire via the website. It also has details of all of the accommodation with photos and prices. Hopefully it will be back up again soon.

Helloo.
Am looking around for adviice on Tonga and Niue. Have managed to snorkel and dive with whales but can't get enough of them. What;s the chances of a swim with whales in Nieu? and Tonga?
Thanks for any advice
Angela

Hi Angela
Highly likely in both places from July to October. Niue much less comercial than Tonga. Only one dive shop so less boats and less people. lDiving not allowed with the whales, but snorkeling is.

Helloo!
Thanks so much.
Will Target for 2012!
Do let us know how your August trip goes.

Angela:snorkel2:

Helloo.
Am looking around for adviice on Tonga and Niue. Have managed to snorkel and dive with whales but can't get enough of them. What;s the chances of a swim with whales in Nieu? and Tonga?
Thanks for any advice
Angela

Niue Dive, the sole Dive Operator on Niue, charges NZ$110 for each whale trip where you can snorkel with the whales. A maximum of 5 trips can only be booked at one time. If you are planning to go, you must book early because space is limited. Best time on go in July - Sept.

Air NZ flies weekly trips to Niue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom