No Fly Guidelines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jc2

Contributor
Reaction score
I know the standard rule of thumb is to not fly within 24 hrs of your last dive. I did a short 35-min dive on Nitrox 32 spent about 60% of the dive at about 65 feet and the rest higher than that. My VT Pro computer had a no-fly time I think exactly 24 hours after I entered the water for the dive. So in essence, the computer just resorts to a conservative 24-hr no fly despite what your nitrogen loading is?

My other question is that I've made some adjustments to some new equipment (different length primary hose, adjusted Hog harness, etc.) I want to test the changes, do a weight check (went from a tri-lam to neoprene drysuit), and see if my mask flooding problem with my new mask on my last dive was a fit thing or I just got my hair or hood caught. I want to just do a quick dive maybe total time about 15-20 minutes at about 30-40 feet on Nitrox 32 before I head out on a dive trip. I would have about 18 hours between the check dive and the flight. I assume this is more than adequate no-fly time given I haven't been in the water in the past week.

Question #1 - From what I remember, most computers have a no-fly 24h countdown, irrespective of one's real nitrogen loading stage. The reality is that I don't think (and this is my opinion) that the decompression models have been statistically tested for flying after diving so even with the computers that have a real no-fly countdown (there are a few in the market), I am not sure how reliable the information is. I think your personal judgement based on your actual dive profiles and breathing gases used, your risk profile and the DAN guidelines below are more useful to make a decision than a computer countdown.

Question #2 - see DAN recommendation http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/faq/faq.asp?faqid=54
You should be OK with 18 hours

Agreed with above try a dive computer they are great.

I want to just do a quick dive maybe total time about 15-20 minutes at about 30-40 feet on Nitrox 32 before I head out on a dive trip. I would have about 18 hours between the check dive and the flight. I assume this is more than adequate no-fly time given I haven't been in the water in the past week.
Omg yes. The 24 hour countdown on computers is not really useful, as it applies to aggressive diving. Here's what I use:
>> Deco dives: 24 hous
>> Repetitive No Deco Dives: 18 hours, per DAN suggestions
>> Single No Deco Dive: 12 hours
>> Nitrox dive for 30 minutes to 40 feet: Is my hair dry? :wink:

jc2:
I know the standard rule of thumb is to not fly within 24 hrs of your last dive. I did a short 35-min dive on Nitrox 32 spent about 60% of the dive at about 65 feet and the rest higher than that. My VT Pro computer had a no-fly time I think exactly 24 hours after I entered the water for the dive. So in essence, the computer just resorts to a conservative 24-hr no fly despite what your nitrogen loading is?

My other question is that I've made some adjustments to some new equipment (different length primary hose, adjusted Hog harness, etc.) I want to test the changes, do a weight check (went from a tri-lam to neoprene drysuit), and see if my mask flooding problem with my new mask on my last dive was a fit thing or I just got my hair or hood caught. I want to just do a quick dive maybe total time about 15-20 minutes at about 30-40 feet on Nitrox 32 before I head out on a dive trip. I would have about 18 hours between the check dive and the flight. I assume this is more than adequate no-fly time given I haven't been in the water in the past week.

I would assume you'd be fine but that is how I would judge myself. To another diver my insurance company would prefer if I made the most conservative recommendation, wait 24 hours.

I don't think any of the Suuntos have an arbitrary 24hr countdown, they calculate a time based on your dives.

I can not make any recomendations to you, I just suggest that you research using pure oxygen to scrub out nitrogen. For example, I'm given to understand that according to a U.S. Navy Table, two hours of surface breathing pure oxygen will take you from Group N to Group A.

Clearly some computers are no help with no-fly time. Some do use nitrogen load to determine no-fly time, need to check when you buy. Believe UWATEC has actual load in no-fly calc.

Or you could go with 18 hour span per DAN.

Back
Top Bottom