No Night Diving in Coz??? Aaaaaaargh!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WicketsMom:
We're arriving Wednesday, 11/23 and would have probably delayed if I had known there would be the night diving restrictions since that's one of my favorite things to do. I don't really have a problem with some of the sites being closed. I figured some of the sites would be closed due to damage, but I still haven't done all of them in all the times I've been to Cozumel, and definitely haven't seen everything on the ones I have seen. If they're closing the ones with the most damage, I would prefer to dive on the healthier reefs anyway. But, the dive operator we're using (Dive Paradise) did tell me that shore night diving is still available from our hotel (VillaBlanca). I prefer not to do shore night dives in Cozumel, but if it's the only way we can do it this time we'll do it - it's not the first time we've done one there, although there is alot more to see if you can dive from a boat.

Just my opinion, but I don't realistically see a way to enforce a 3m distance from the reef. I think that this is just to give them more leeway to deal with those with bad bouyancy control - and we've all seen our share of those on the reefs. I think that most operators will continue to operate as they did before the restrictions, and if you display good bouyancy and stay off the reefs (like we all should be doing anyway) that you will still be able to get up close to see the critters. At least I hope so since I'm still taking my camera and hope to get some good shots.

I'll post an update when we get back as to the impact of the restrictions and the quality of the diving when we get back. We're still looking forward to our trip, just viewing it as more of an 'adventure' this time and we don't think we made a mistake by going ahead with our plans on our regular schedule.

THANK YOU! YOU understand and can read between the official lines. I wish everyone could understand this rather than deciding to blacklist Cozumel for rules they aren't even sure of or how they will be enforced.

Have a wonderful trip and we look forward to your report!

Christi:
THANK YOU! YOU understand and can read between the official lines. I wish everyone could understand this rather than deciding to blacklist Cozumel for rules they aren't even sure of or how they will be enforced.
I've kept my mouth shut all day about this thread (it was tough) knowing that it was full of over-reactions. People, if you have decent buoyancy skills you really are not going to be expected to stay 10ft. from the reef at all times... JEEZ! It is a protective measure against newbies and the zombies who don't pay attention.

I'm not saying the dive ops are going to break the rules, but rules are meant to be at least bent (bad choice of words?). If you can prove that you won't crash into the reef, I'm sure you will be able to dive like you want. OK, Macro photography is probably out but I would think that if you were really into that you wouldn't go to Coz anyway due to the currents.

Christi, i know you've had it up to here with this thread but could you clarify one thing? No night dives whatsoever or is it because the reefs are closed? I'm leaning to no night diving but want to hear it from you.

I know there was mention of Las Palmas as a night dive site (which I've had really, really good and just ok night dives on) but am a bit confused if night diving has been banned for the time being or if you can still do Villablanca and Las Palmas. Obviously this is just a temporary thing.

We're gonna try our best to get down their soon after the holidays.

If the defense of the "10 foot/3 meter rule" is "Hey, don't worry, it won't be enforced," then I think that really just reinforces my point...that these are silly rules to announce right now. Why make rules if you don't intend to enforce them? But whatever...we'll see what the real story is in six weeks :)

Honestly, I don't want to get into whether or not enough dive sites are open or whether these are rules made with the best interests of the environment in mind, etc, etc. What I'd really like to know the specifics of a few of the things mentioned on cozumelinsider...I'm sure I'm not the only one.

To quote cozumelinsider.com:
A strict rule of snorkel vests on the reef will be observed, and the use of cameras will be restricted.

1. Does anyone know what the limitations on cameras are, specifically? I mean, enforced or not, what is the current letter of the law regarding cameras and diving on Cozumel?

2. What does this strictly enforced snorkel vests line mean?

Christi:
Where on earth did you get the idea that ALL southern sites are closed???? None of the southern sites are closed.

Sorry, Christi..."all" was an exaggeration. I read the following, again, from cozumelinsider.com:
Additionally, other popular dive sites such as Islote, Punta Celarain, Maracaibo, Chunchaka’ab, Punta Sur and Columbia have been declared areas of limitted use temporarily, and the Marine Park will stringently enforce this.

It was my impression that Punta Sur was one of the more popular dive sites, and that it was in the south, and that it was rather deep. I seem to remember that some of the other sites are also in the south, but I don't have my map on me at the moment. I'm sorry if I was mistaken. But if I wasn't, and some of these are indeed southern, deep sites, then why are they closed? Wouldn't the deep sites have been the least affected? And if they are not closed, then in what ways is the use of these sites "limitted"[sic]?

Thanks for any clarification.

Gregg

Christi:

Have a wonderful trip and we look forward to your report!
We are going in February regardless of the restrictions. Like someone said even a bad day diving in Cozumel is better than most other places you can dive. I certaintly have no interest of cancelling my flights and going somewhere else.

Christi thanks for setting the record straight!!!

We were supposed to be flying down this Thursday but, American cancelled our flight and we are now heading to Curacao. Hopefully we can get to Coz sometime next year.

Heck I think those rules should stay permanently, minus the night diving ban on some reefs. Some people don't get it. :05:

I'm a "newbie" and I'm going this week. The encouragement is that if you're not a newbie, don't worry...well...hmmm...does the opposite hold true?

That said, I will let all the Newbies know how things go when I get back.

(BTW, I think that people are just frustrated after being encouraged not to change plans and then having yet another set of circumstances to consider at the 11th hour. I think all of us going this week decided to be patient with Coz, its residents, and its businesses during this trying time. Please, be patient with us.

Although, we're high and dry from hurricanes (for the most part), we'll be spending one of our most precious resources in Coz this week: vacation time. It is hard won for most people -- so, again, just have a little patience with that.)

Humuhumunukunukuapua'a:
If the defense of the "10 foot/3 meter rule" is "Hey, don't worry, it won't be enforced," then I think that really just reinforces my point...that these are silly rules to announce right now. Why make rules if you don't intend to enforce them? But whatever...we'll see what the real story is in six weeks :)\

In a word... well, in two words - selective enforcement.

Christi can't come in here and say "don't worry about the rules; we won't obey them", but IMO the rules are there to provide the dive ops an excuse to be more protective of the reef. It gives them the out to say, "it's not us, it's the government" when they have to tell someone to stay well off the reef because they are running into things or show poor buoyancy control. Nobody there is stupid enough to make Cozumel diving so restrictive that divers will en masse take their dollars elsewhere; that would kill one of their golden egg laying geese.

Two more words - common sense. I plan on getting myself down to Cozumel as soon as I possibly can, and I'm not at all worried that the diving will suck. ;^)

I think I'll postpone my trip. I'm not blacklisting Cozmel by any means, but I don't like the idea of selective enforcement in foreign countries. The wording of the official statement with its ambiguity and talk of federal ofense makes me uneasy. I would be very interested in Lilycat's account when she returns.

A bad of diving in Cozumel is no better than a bad day of diving in Cayman Brac.

Moodiejeff:
I've kept my mouth shut all day about this thread (it was tough) knowing that it was full of over-reactions. People, if you have decent buoyancy skills you really are not going to be expected to stay 10ft. from the reef at all times... JEEZ! It is a protective measure against newbies and the zombies who don't pay attention.

All I can read is what it says. And while I know that things like prohibitions on knives and gloves are rarely enforced, if the "rule" is there, it can be enforced. When folks are denied information or get confusing and conflicting information, assumption and over-reaction tend to catalize explanation and clarification. This, previous reports of MEX restricting flights to Coz and some recent pictures I have seen of damage make me wonder if some reports are not overly optimistic in a attempt to stimuilate the revival of tourism.

I think I'll wait a bit on my next vacation plans.

redhatmama:
I think I'll postpone my trip. I'm not blacklisting Cozmel by any means, but I don't like the idea of selective enforcement in foreign countries.

Suit yourself, but this is not a change in principle. There already was a minimum distance rule on Cozumel (I think it was 1 meter), but the only folks I ever saw called on it were folks that had no business getting that close to the reef anyway. The no gloves - no knife rule was also selectively enforced. What do you think, that there will be Reef Cops patrolling ready to bust anyone they see 2.9 meters from the reef? No, what we WANT is selective enforcement; we want the dive ops (who are the only enforcement available) to protect what is left of the reef from divers whose skills are such that they put it in jeopardy, and to give some leeway to those of us who show that we can get in to see a toadfish without kicking over a barrel sponge.

To avoid diving Cozumel because of this stuff is, IMO, just silly.

Back
Top Bottom