No Night Diving in Coz??? Aaaaaaargh!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lilycat:
I'm a "newbie" and I'm going this week. The encouragement is that if you're not a newbie, don't worry...well...hmmm...does the opposite hold true?

That said, I will let all the Newbies know how things go when I get back.

(BTW, I think that people are just frustrated after being encouraged not to change plans and then having yet another set of circumstances to consider at the 11th hour. I think all of us going this week decided to be patient with Coz, its residents, and its businesses during this trying time. Please, be patient with us.

Although, we're high and dry from hurricanes (for the most part), we'll be spending one of our most precious resources in Coz this week: vacation time. It is hard won for most people -- so, again, just have a little patience with that.)

Oh, please don't misunderstand me. I DO have patience of steel :) How do you think I've gotten this far doing business in MX? :wink:

No offense intended here whatsoever, but as a newbie, you are going to be so overwhelmed with the beauty of the reefs whether from a foot away or 10 feet away that you are going to enjoy it immensely! I have mentioned this in another post, maybe on the other board...but newbies will be monitored more closely but you won't be prohibited form diving or prohibited from diving certain sites. I know the marine park has asked us all to lower our ratio of DM's to divers and I am TOTALLY for this one. Some shops put up to 12 divers per divemaster and I don't care if he is superman, that is too many people to keep track of...especially if there are new divers in the group. I have spoken to some other shop owners who are going to be sending extra divemasters out with newbies for the sole purpose of helping them with buoyancy. I do this regularly and will continue to do so.

My impatience here is only with people who ARE experienced enough on this board to know how things often get blown out of proportion on the boards and jump to conclusions and make rash decisions or statements wiothout knowing REALLY what they are talking about. The truth is that unless you operate a boat or shop here, no matter how often you come down, there are simply things that you cannot possibly know or understand...nor are you expected to.

What I am asking for, is that people not jump to conclusions or blacklist Cozumel without having some confidence in your dive operation. I also encourage people to stop speculating and to trust those of us who DO operate here. People who know me and who have dove with me...KNOW that I am a straight shooter. I won't lie to you just to get your business, or in this case to get you to come to Cozumel. In some cases, my blunt honesty has cost me customers because I refuse to make empty promises that I can't guarantee. I do my BEST to accommodate specific requests, but if I can't guarantee it, I won't.

I also STRONGLY encourage you all to read the first hand dive reports that are and will be coming in from people who have been here since Wilma. These reports will give you alot of information and will give you clear indications of how the diving is, how the rules are being enforced, etc. You can also contact them directly if they provide info and you can ask them specific questions.

My whole point is that the assumptions, speculations and misinterretations are out of hnd and causing unnecessary and widespread panic among upcoming Coz vacationers.

If it is the DIVING that you are coming down for, then you are in luck! That is the best thing Cozumel has going right now. Despite the damage (that most of you will not even notice) the diving is fabulous...and that is NO LIE! In fact, I went diving with my friends at Deep Blue the other day. We had two AMAZING dives, and Debbie asked me what I thought afterwards. I told her "If I didn't KNOW a hurricane had come through, I wouldn't have known the difference."

If your main reasons for coming to Cozumel are for luxurious resorts and beachcombing, then perhaps you should wait a few more months until those luxurious resorts open. One thing I do know for sure, is that when all of these hotels DO reopen...they will be more beautiful than before. This is a good chance for all to upgrade those things that they just didn't have the opporunity to do before.

Speaking of hotels, Caribe Blu is REALLY coming along nicely. I spent some time talking to Alejandra yesterday and walked around the hotel...they are making phenominal progress and making upgrades in the process that I will save for later :)

I apologize to all if I came across as impatient or upset last night. The truth is that it IS frustrating to read all of this knowing how hard we are all working to get things back to normal for us as well as YOU ALL who make our livlihoods possible to begin with.

I have received various memo's from the marine park and have been briefed by Pedro who has attended several of the meetings on my behalf when I was in Texas. I also spoke directly withe the marine park yesterday to get a basic briefing. As mentioned above, I will make every possible effort to get each of these issues specifically addressed and post before I leave on Friday.

In the meantime, I ask that you all please give us a chance and please relax a little. Cozumel is alive and is coming back even stronger!!!

Dave Zimmerly:
When I originally posted this thread, my main complaint was that there would be no night diving or macro photo shoots. I realize that the 3m limitation is more or less a way for DM's to reinforce the need for buoyancy control.

I agree with redhatmmama about the wording of the official statement with its ambiguity and talk of federal offense. Makes me feel kinda uneasy as well.

The statement on Cozumel Insider IS NOT the official statement!!!! The owner of the site is someone I respect and trust, but I disagree with the way her statement and interpretations of the marine park statements is worded...it is very ambiguous and confusing. I am sure her intentions were the very best...but it has caused unnecessary panic and speculation.

Gordon really has hit the nail on the head with his last few posts. Thank you!

OK, this is all well and good, but not very informative at all, frankly. Instead of lecturing on patience, etc, it would be most helpful if those of you in the know clarified some of what you seem to feel is certainly a misunderstanding. Specifically:

1) What are the restrictions on camera use?
2) What specifically are the limitations on night diving?
3) Why are *many* (not all) of the deepr southern sites limited use? In what ways are these sites now limited use?
4) What is the reality of the snorkel vest rule?

Honestly, these are pretty simple questions, and I feel like the vehement Cozumel defenders are getting a bit defensive over something that is really very straighforward. I really do already know that Gordon loves Cozumel and feels there is no better destination on Earth regardless of what rules change or what happens there. I really do know that Christi is confident that everything will be much better than before given time and patience. I really do know that the Cozumel defenders feel these rules will be unenforced. But, while positive and rosy, sentiments like these really don't go very far towards answering the simple questions posted above that many of us would like clarified.

Please, if anyone knows the reality of the situation, I imagine we'd all like to hear. I doubt any of us need to read any more posts asking us to chill out or flaming us for daring to question the policies of the almighty dive Mecca, Cozumel. We're really just looking for clarification, not to criticize what seems to be many folks end-all be-all destination.

Cheers!

Gregg

Humuhumunukunukuapua'a:
OK, this is all well and good, but not very informative at all, frankly. Instead of lecturing on patience, etc, it would be most helpful if those of you in the know clarified some of what you seem to feel is certainly a misunderstanding. Specifically:

3) Why are *many* (not all) of the deepr southern sites limited use? In what ways are these sites now limited use?

Honestly, these are pretty simple questions, and I feel like the vehement Cozumel defenders are getting a bit defensive over something that is really very straighforward. I really do already know that Gordon loves Cozumel and feels there is no better destination on Earth regardless of what rules change or what happens there. I really do know that Christi is confident that everything will be much better than before given time and patience. I really do know that the Cozumel defenders feel these rules will be unenforced. But, while positive and rosy, sentiments like these really don't go very far towards answering the simple questions posted above that many of us would like clarified.

Please, if anyone knows the reality of the situation, I imagine we'd all like to hear. I doubt any of us need to read any more posts asking us to chill out or flaming us for daring to question the policies of the almighty dive Mecca, Cozumel. We're really just looking for clarification, not to criticize what seems to be many folks end-all be-all destination.

Cheers!

Gregg

Gregg, You obviously did not read my posts in their entirety.

I AM going direct to the source to get REAL answers and I am also voicing the complaints IF in fact these things are true.

CozumelInsiders statement is NOT the official marine park statements.

Most of what is in that write-up I have not heard or seen, nor has Pedro who has attended every meeting in my absence, nor have other operators I have spoken to about this.

I DID speak to A marine park employee yesterday very briefly and was specifically told that camera use was not prohibited. I really didn't get to discuss everything I wanted to because she was in a hurry to make a meeting.

I am in the process of getting each and every one of these issues addresses as I write this.

I am also sharing all of your complaints and concerns with marine park offficials.

I encourage you all to relax, take a deep breath, step back and read FIRST HAND reports from those diving here now and in the upcoming weeks...these reports will be very telling!

My unofficial statement is that you won't notice a difference in the way your diving experience is handled unless you are abusive to the reef. Capiche?

Finally, Pedro DID just tell me moments ago that in the meetings, the reef closings are through December...expected to be open in January.

Humuhumunukunukuapua'a:

These questions have been answered if you read my post again.

Camera use
I was told yesterday that cameras are ok, but the DM has to make sure photographers have proper buoyancy control.

Night diving
The SITES we use for night diving are closed. I am getting clarification on whether we are in fact permitted to dive the OPEN sites for night dives.

The deeper southern sites ARE NOT closed or restricted...I don't know WHERE Cozumel Insider got that information. As stated above, we have been diving them and they are FINE. Yucab, Tormentos, Chankanaab, and Paradise are the ONLY sites currently closed. They are all shallow reefs. I was JUST told that the closures are expected through December as discussed in the meetings. Your trip is in January, so you should be unaffected.

I ASSUME the snorkel vest rule applies to the big snorkel tours. I did not really ask about that one yesterday because I didn't care about it to be honest with you. It doesn't apply to my operation. BUT, I will specifically address that question as well in my meeting with the marine park officials.

bucky.gif

Thank you, Christi, for clearing up the FUD and keeping us updated on the restrictions we can expect in the coming weeks.

Humuhumunukunukuapua'a:

Cheers!

Gregg

Hmmmm. Try some sarcasm; that ALWAYS works.... ;^)

The reality is that most rules are not hard and fast. There are no Reef Police. While it is certainly true that I love Cozumel, my responses here are based on my nearly 30 years visiting the island. I don't know specifically what it's like down there right now, but I'm pretty sure I do know how things are down there in general. BTW, I have been to, and enjoyed, many other places as well, thank you.

I have seen Coz rules come and (some of them) go and the way that they are enforced, or not enforced, as cases in point call for. This is absolutely no different. Trust me, no one is going to pull up in a Federale boat and haul you out of the water and off to jail for snorkeling without a vest. No one is going to confiscate your camera for trying to take it out on a dive trip. Do I absolutely know all this ? Of course not, but I would be willing to make a sizeable wager on it.

I guess some overreacting is inevitable. Heck, I haven't even been down there since before the hurricanes; maybe things HAVE changed radically for the worse and it's not worth going there any more. Somehow, though, I seriously doubt it.

If you absolutely must have answers to your (somewhat demanding sounding) questions right this minute, I don't think anyone here can help you. If you watch this board for trip reports as they come in, in time you'll find out all you need to know from people who have the objectivity that you seem to be missing in my postings.

Peace,

To tell you the truth, if I could get a da*n flight to Cozumel for the week of Dec 11th thru the 18th, I'd be going back for my 4th time in two years. There's just nothing going out of Charlotte without staying overnight in Houston on the way back, or flying to Cancun. I'm not wasting two days messing around in Cancun or Houston trying to dive in Cozumel. The hurricanes wouldn't even bother me, as long as a few hotels and restaurants are open. There are enough medium and deep sites to dive for a week and anyone who has been to them knows what I mean. I could spend a week diving from Palancar and south. Cozumel is addictive, no broken coral at Chankanaab is going to stop us. The crazy airlines are all that can do that. I'll be back soon, but for now, I'll see what's in Roatan. I just hope US Air gets their direct flights back to Cozumel on schedule soon! Don't worry about all of the so called rules. Just go and dive there as soon as you can get a flight. Don't kick the coral and just be careful with your buoyancy, that's all they ever wanted in the first place. The Eagle Ray season is coming up anyway, you don't want to miss that do you?????????????

Missing Cozumel and putting up with Roatan for now,
Matt

rjchandler:
selective enforcement --- sort of like what Johnny Depp said about the pirates code in Pirates of the Carribean.
Exactly. Goes something like, "they are more like guidelines than actual rules", or something to that effect.

lilycat:
I'm a "newbie" and I'm going this week. The encouragement is that if you're not a newbie, don't worry...well...hmmm...does the opposite hold true?
It really isn't about newbie or advanced status. The concern is proper buoyancy control. If you are able to control yourself and avoid touching the reef structure, you are a better diving than someone with years of experience that is careless during a dive.

Christi, please stop teasing me with vague descriptions of how Caribe Blu is coming with their reconstruction :05: . Their web site says reconstruction photos are coming "soon", but it has been more than a week like that. While I don't doubt they are doing a remarkable job, it is the suspense of not seeing photos and reading any sort of a detailed report that is like an itch I can't scratch.

See you in December and enjoy your trip.
Bruce

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom