No Night Diving in Coz??? Aaaaaaargh!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I originally posted this thread, my main complaint was that there would be no night diving or macro photo shoots. I realize that the 3m limitation is more or less a way for DM's to reinforce the need for buoyancy control.

I agree with redhatmmama about the wording of the official statement with its ambiguity and talk of federal offense. Makes me feel kinda uneasy as well.

Christi:
(SNIP) New swim-throughs, bigger swim-throughs, and abundant marine life.

(SNIP).

How does one stay 3m awy from the reef on a swim through? :)

Dave Zimmerly:
When I originally posted this thread, my main complaint was that there would be no night diving or macro photo shoots. I realize that the 3m limitation is more or less a way for DM's to reinforce the need for buoyancy control.

I agree with redhatmmama about the wording of the official statement with its ambiguity and talk of federal offense. Makes me feel kinda uneasy as well.

But think about it - who is going to turn you in? The dive ops are the only enforcement available; how good is it for a business to bust its customers? The reef is their livelihood; my opinion is that the only way your dive op is going to hassle you about the rules is if your behavior at depth puts the reef in jeopardy, and in that case I fully support them. I wouldn't be surprised if I were to hear that the dive industry lobbied the Mexican gov't in favor of the rules; that way they can use them as a tool to keep clumsy or careless people at a distance from the reef without looking like they are unilaterally writing new rules on the spot.

I've been diving Cozumel for many years, and going there for many more before that. Tourism is the life blood of the island, and busting tourists for violating vague or ambiguous rules isn't good for business; it's not going to happen. If you (the collective "you") let this stuff discourage you from diving Cozumel, then (again, in my private opinion) it's your loss. But don't take my word for it; soon we will have trip reports rolling in again, and if this is a problem, we'll hear about it. I'll bet that it won't be.

ggunn:
Suit yourself, but this is not a change in principle. There already was a minimum distance rule on Cozumel (I think it was 1 meter), but the only folks I ever saw called on it were folks that had no business getting that close to the reef anyway. The no gloves - no knife rule was also selectively enforced. What do you think, that there will be Reef Cops patrolling ready to bust anyone they see 2.9 meters from the reef? No, what we WANT is selective enforcement; we want the dive ops (who are the only enforcement available) to protect what is left of the reef from divers whose skills are such that they put it in jeopardy, and to give some leeway to those of us who show that we can get in to see a toadfish without kicking over a barrel sponge.

To avoid diving Cozumel because of this stuff is, IMO, just silly.
Gordon, You are so right I see no reason to avoid cozumel I will be sure and take lots of pictures when we are there in Feb. Kathy

We're not cancelling our upcoming trip, but hopefully in the next couple weeks there will be a bit more clarity on "the rules" I just want to be clear on what to expect and on what's really expected of us. I don't touch things, I have good bouyancy control, etc., but reading that the breaking the rules could be treated as a federal offense makes it sound pretty severe and official and no room for selective anything.

Every diver starts out as a new diver needing guidance and time to master skills. Instructors and DM's should always monitor less skilled divers, regardless of the official rules. If that is really the issue and these rules are at the dive ops discretion, then why not just have every diver do a check out dive and then restrict certain sites by diver skill level?

selective enforcement --- sort of like what Johnny Depp said about the pirates code in Pirates of the Carribean.

scubawife:
Every diver starts out as a new diver needing guidance and time to master skills. Instructors and DM's should always monitor less skilled divers, regardless of the official rules. If that is really the issue and these rules are at the dive ops discretion, then why not just have every diver do a check out dive and then restrict certain sites by diver skill level?

<facetiousness alert> That sounds like a bureaucratic nightmare. Every op should do a checkout dive on every diver? And what, assign every diver a skills level between 0 and 9, and then take only 9's to some sites, but others are OK for 6's and above? Would you charge divers for these checkout dives? Install federal inspectors to ensure that everyone gets evaluated fairly? Rearrange divers on boats between dives so that no one dives over his skills level? Is there any appeal? Who would oversee all this?

I'd much rather rely on the ops' discretion. They already pretty much do what you are suggesting, anyway; a dive op that doesn't know you and your skills is not going to take you to Punta Sur or Barracuda first time out, and if you don't look like you can handle it, they won't take you there at all. Your first dive with most dive ops pretty much IS a checkout dive, whether or not they tell you that.

So who pays the fines? Sounds like the dive ops are the ones on the hook.

I've been all over the Caribbean and I can tell you for certain that there is nothing to be concerned or uneasy about in Cozumel. I cant say the same about Nassau, Honduras, Aruba or Jamaica. I feel safer in Cozumel than some places here where I live. Is Aldora still diving the East Side? I've made some incredible dives over there. You might look into that.

moodiejeff:
Christi, i know you've had it up to here with this thread but could you clarify one thing? No night dives whatsoever or is it because the reefs are closed? I'm leaning to no night diving but want to hear it from you

Honestly, I haven't heard that night dives are prohibited. The way I read the memo was that they are restricted to the sites that are open and that operators are to use their discretion on who to take on night dives. However, the fact that the four main night dive locations are closed really makes night dives a limited option right now...even if not prohibited. Even before, night dives further south were not common or encouraged due to stronger currents, and various other factors.

I am going to TRY to get to the marine park this afternoon and address each and every one of these "rules" specifically and individually.

Humuhumunukunukuapua'a:
1. Does anyone know what the limitations on cameras are, specifically? I mean, enforced or not, what is the current letter of the law regarding cameras and diving on Cozumel?

2. What does this strictly enforced snorkel vests line mean?

Again, I have not heard or read this except on Cozumel Insider. I have seen several divers out this week with cameras (both underwater and at SI's) and I have taken my camera down as has one of my customers. I did specifically ask the marine park yesterday if cameras were prohibited, and she said NO...but that the reef has to be respected and we have to be more careful than ever.

Snorkel vests, I imagine this is intended for the big "cattle snorkel" tours. The vest keep people from going under and damaging what little is left. To be very honest with you though, there is not much at all to see snorkeling right now except maybe at Palancar gardens. Generally speaking, the winter months are not suitable for snorkeling in my opinion...due to the choppier surface conditions...of course there are better days than others.

Again, I am going to address each of these issues individually IF I get a chancve before I leave on Friday for MY long, long awaited vacation that has been in the making for two years :) Fortunately, it was completely paid for over 6 months ago.

Humuhumunukunukuapua'a:
It was my impression that Punta Sur was one of the more popular dive sites, and that it was in the south, and that it was rather deep. I seem to remember that some of the other sites are also in the south, but I don't have my map on me at the moment. I'm sorry if I was mistaken. But if I wasn't, and some of these are indeed southern, deep sites, then why are they closed? Wouldn't the deep sites have been the least affected? And if they are not closed, then in what ways is the use of these sites "limitted"?

I don't know WHERE this came from. I mean I know where YOU got it...but I agree it is a very confusing statement and contradictory to another statement in the same write-up. I was specifically told that these sites are open and we have in fact dove the following sites since I have been back on the island...with and without customers (Punta Sur, Columbia, Columbia Deep, Palancar Bricks, Palancar Horseshoe, Palancar Gardens, Francesa, Delila, Francesa, Paso del Cedral, Santa Rosa, San Francisco, Punta Tunich, and Las Palmas) We were planning maracaibo today, but the port was closed due to a norte. It is now open, but my divers decided to offgas today because they've been diving 3 to 4 tanks everyday so far.

scubacoz22:
We are going in February regardless of the restrictions. Like someone said even a bad day diving in Cozumel is better than most other places you can dive. I certaintly have no interest of cancelling my flights and going somewhere else.

You have the right attitude, THANK YOU! Besides that, I think that by February people will find things almost completley back to normal around here. No doubt, we (as in Marine Park guides) WILL be watching buoyancy control and monitoring divers closely for these things...but not in a way that anyone would even notice anything differently. We HAVE to do what we can to protect the reefs.

dyarab:
Christi thanks for setting the record straight!!!

We were supposed to be flying down this Thursday but, American cancelled our flight and we are now heading to Curacao. Hopefully we can get to Coz sometime next year.

Heck I think those rules should stay permanently, minus the night diving ban on some reefs. Some people don't get it.

Thank YOU for understanding the reality of the situation. Have a great trip to Curacao and hopefully we'll see you in Coz very soon!

to be continued...too long to make as one post...

Back
Top Bottom