no safety stop after 53' dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thalassamania, why the difference between a safety stop and an asymptomatic deco stop? I can think of several reasons (more like assumptions and risk analysis ) for this but I'm struggling with the "never" part for a safety stop.

In the context of recreational diving, a safety stop is recommended but not mandatory as the exposure in any recreational dive is presumably comparatively low. Whereas a dive wherein mandatory deco stops are indicated, the exposure for the dive is comparatively high.

...snip, snip,... Surfacing without a line can be scary the first few times - this is a skill that I practice a few times a year just to keep it current - watch your gauges and watch particulates to monitor your ascent rate. snip,... snip,... .

Crush, very good advice. I will not ascend without a line if I can avoid it.

I've been diving since 1988 and just this year, because of a low air fill to begin with, saw that I was down to 1000 psi on a 50 ft dive, and so ascended approx. 10 ft above my buddy to stay in proximity by adding air to my BC. Before I realized it, I ascended another 20 ft. (I wasn't looking at my depth gauge) when I felt my ears equalize. I quickly grabbed my deflator hose to start releasing air but was too late. I got up to 15 ft before I knew it and then almost surfaced. So yeah, I have to practice that surfacing technique next time out, still after all these years of diving.

And as for the 3-min SS at 15ft, I tended to skip this step when I was younger without any consequences, but now in my later years, I'm doing it!

I've been diving since 1988 and just this year, because of a low air fill to begin with, saw that I was down to 1000 psi on a 50 ft dive, and so ascended approx. 10 ft above my buddy to stay in proximity by adding air to my BC. Before I realized it, I ascended another 20 ft.
This is very important. Do not ascend by adding air to your BCD! If you are neutrally buoyant when you start doing that, you will make yourself positively buoyant, which means your ascent will not stop until you reach the surface unless you do something to stop it. Once you start ascending, the air in the BCD will begin to expand, meaning that the little bit of air you put in to start the ascent will soon become a lot of air.

You should start the ascent through some other means (you can kick upwards or, if properly neutral, simply inhale more deeply) and then anticipate having to put on the brakes (exhaling and or releasing air) to stop the ascent.

I was a victim to this lack of depth perception. It was my first local dive, and going from 100ft in the keys to 10ft and decreasing was a shock. I was simply not used to the diving environment and it can happen. However, ever since that day I had never had this happen, and it will probably never happen to you again. After an experience like that you become hypersensitive about the sings of rising in the water column. As said before, you will be fine, a safety stop is optional, a DECO stop is mandatory. Also you and your buddy are/should be "linked together." If one of you leaves the dive than you leave with him/her. You will always have another dive so don't feel bad about making your buddy turn or end the dive prematurely.

What is this "1 minute floar benefit"?
Something I've seen suggested, and makes sense. You are more suspectable to bubbling when first on the surface and with exercise, so avoid the two together for a minute after surfacing.

Floating on the surface and resting (rather than striking out for shore) is the "second safety stop."

And as for the 3-min SS at 15ft, I tended to skip this step when I was younger without any known/obvious/overt/symptomatic consequences, but now in my later years, I'm doing it!

Fixed it for you.

:d

Something I've seen suggested, and makes sense. You are more suspectable to bubbling when first on the surface and with exercise, so avoid the two together for a minute after surfacing.

Thanks-I did not know that. Usually I just make the DM pull me out of the water after a dive...isn't that we tip them for?:D

Thanks-I did not know that. Usually I just make the DM pull me out of the water after a dive...isn't that we tip them for?:D
I greatly appreciate the crew pulling my BC & tank up for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom