No scuba cave diving!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Damn, Doc......this just made my day.. I haven't laughed this hard in weeks. As I was reading your post, I was just picturing the mess we used to have at Peacock I when there would be as many as 15-20 dive teams in the cave at once.....and that many lines running from a log that was normally used as a tie-off point, to the permanent lines. It looked like a spider web spun by a spider on crack. I can just imagine 20 teams being in the system, with 2 divers each, and having 40 umbilicals running into the cave.....and 40 compressors on the surface....and 40 tenders....and 40-80 safety divers.......and you guys thought Peacock USED to get crowded on holiday weekends.. :D

I bet those traverse dives would be fun....enter at Orange Grove and exit Peacock I via the Peanut tunnel.....what would we need, 4700-4800ft of umbilical? On the bright side, we could ditch the spools and reels....just grab on the umbilical and pull your way out when you want to leave! Nobody would ever turn the dive due to 1/3's...damn.....anybody want to try this with me this weekend for the Grand Traverse?! :confused:

Mike

Surface supplied diving? Cave diving? Don't sound like fun. Count me out. I choose the danger.

Why do all of you let someone like this "doc" get you all in a tizzy, he's not a cave diver and obviously doesn't know much about tech diving so he's just doing this to get you all upset....DON'T BE SO EASY !!!!!

Originally posted by James Mosley
Why do all of you let someone like this "doc" get you all in a tizzy, he's not a cave diver and obviously doesn't know much about tech diving so he's just doing this to get you all upset....DON'T BE SO EASY !!!!!

Good Point. But it's so much FUN!!!!

James Mosley,

Because I'm stuck in this office. It's a full week before I head back to NF. Hell, I'm board. Arguing online is less boaring than the other things I could be doing. Just picture it 12 hoses run into Peackock, each with its own crew on that little wooden deck. Like an Abbot and Costello skit. It's kind of funny, as long as someone doesn't make us do it. My compressor is in Indiana. No way do they have hoses that long.

For Journey Into Amazing Caves, Wes Skiles actually dropped the lighting umbilicals in from holes he made in the ceiling, not the entire distance from the entrance to the cave. See: http://www.wesskiles.com/IMAX.htm, about the middle of the page, under the picture captioned "Ancient Accident or Human Sacrifice". There were 1500 feet of cable to 5 different light heads, which is an average of 300 feet of cable to each light head, quite different than dragging cords 3500' back.

I agree that dragging umbilicals back would be silty and very damaging to the cave.

:idea:Maybe we could feed in surface air from the ceiling to a few special places though. You go back to the dome room in Devils, and there hanging from the ceiling are a few surface air feeds you can use (ala the oxygen masks on airplanes, but these would be helmets). Then you can look around the room as long as you want, dragging your umbilical behind you, without exceeding thirds (but watch your deco!). Once you decide to leave you leave the helmet for the next diver, go back on your back gas and exit.:)

In docs defense, let's be careful to not to be close minded to new ideas.

Not in docs defense: don't mess with Sheck.

I know nothing about caves, but I still knew this guy was way off base. Now I think he is just looking to start trouble, check out his genius at work over here.
http://www.scubaboard.com/t11018/s.html

Doc

In response to your questions/comments let me first say that there are 5 Golden Rules of cave diving. The first rule is TRAINING. Almost all of the fatalities (of which there have been many) are by people who do not have the proper training attempting to penetrate a cave. Just because someone is a proficient openwater diver, divemaster or instructor does NOT adequately prepare them for hazards you may encounter in a cave.

Also, cave divers are for the most part very environmentally conscious. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but bubbles is a motto that is taken very seriously by the cave community. As far as Wes Skiles taking in 3 lighting cords, that was a well funded, extremely co-ordinated ONE TIME effort. The impact of that would be no where near the thought of 20 dive teams of 2-3 people a DAY attempting to dive using umbilicals.

To further comment on the safety factor, the average cave diver today is trained and equipped so that the most dangerous part of his dive trip is the drive to the dive site, or the possibility of slipping and breaking a leg while toting 150lbs of gear down to the entry point. To illustrate this, check out the WKPP as several others have pointed out. They have done some of the longest penetrations and the deepest depths on record and have a flawless safety record. While many may disagree with their attitudes, you can't argue with their results.

Dive often,but dive safe

John

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom