No scuba cave diving!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That'd be one heck of an engineering feat Bob.... The Floridian Aquifer holds more water than all the Great Lakes combined!

You'd probably be better off trying to lower sea level a few hundred feet.

Time to launch your evil genius plan to start global cooling... hmmm, I knew there was somethin funny about you cold water divers!! :wink:

Originally posted by Bob3
I say we just pump the caves dry & put sidewalks in 'em. :mean:

I have been wishing for awhile that we could come up with a way to reverse the ocean current in the pacific (pacific gyre) so that we southern Californians would have tropical water from South America instead of cold water from friggen Alaska. If I help with pumping out the cave can I get some help with me little problem?
:) :) :)

On another note, I am still wondering how surface supplied divers get trimix. ?

The plan to drain the Florida Aquifer is already in place. Thousands of Yankees keep moving to FL every year, turning on their water faucets to water their lawns. [insert maniacal laughter here]. :mean:
... wondering how surface supplied divers get trimix. ?
Commercial divers mainly use heliox rather than trimix, just to keep things simple. Tightwad companies don't make the switch from air to heliox 'till 180' because diver impairment isn't as costly as the He. Many divers function more like "normal" when narked anyway.

Pre-blend heliox in 300 cu ft bottles is used, or sometimes a blending manifold. The preblend is more idiot proof. The Navy uses trimix sometimes, they find it decreases those nasty shakes. (HPNS)

I know nothing of either commercial diving or cave diving but I do know a little about problem solving. It to me looks like both camps could do a little looking over each others shoulders for ideas.

You guys are all too close to the problem to see a better solution (or alternative to your own technologies).

The swiss didn't buy into crystals for watches either....... how many swiss watch makers are around compared to 50yrs ago?

Thanks for the answer, it seems like Doc is trying to sell a system that is, in atleast some cases, used to save money at the expense of safety.

Originally posted by Bob3
The plan to drain the Florida Aquifer is already in place. Thousands of Yankees keep moving to FL every year, turning on their water faucets to water their lawns. [insert maniacal laughter here]. :mean:

LOL!! I was in Ft Lauderdale/Pompano last week and you got that right about thousands of Yankees moving to FL. I thought I had gone to NY/NJ! :eek:

Damn Yankees!!

Originally posted by WYDT

LOL!! I was in Ft Lauderdale/Pompano last week and you got that right about thousands of Yankees moving to FL. I thought I had gone to NY/NJ! :eek:

Damn Yankees!!

If it wasn't for all that Northern $$$$$$$$
Florida would still be all swamp!!! :wink:

You should be saying "Welcome, Yankee!" not Damn Yankee:wink: :D

Originally posted by Tavi

If it wasn't for all that Northern $$$$$$$$
Florida would still be all swamp!!! :wink:

You should be saying "Welcome, Yankee!" not Damn Yankee:wink: :D

I'd be VERY happy for FL to still be all swamp! The water quality would be a heck of a lot better.

All kidding aside water quality is a B I G issue right now in Florida... several caves that used to be crystal clear are now nearly undivable and the problem isn't getting better....

One very good thing that cave diving and cave exploration is doing is letting Floridians know that what they do above ground is effecting their drinking water to a HIGH degree...

DSAO!!

Firstly, I apologize for bruising any sentiments with my Exley remark, but I do not apologize for for making the point. Exley was an "expert," he wrote several books -- including one on cave diving survival. The man died in a cave, in pursuit of a dubious record, by his own hand, using UNSAFE diving procedures. Period, end of story and end of life. That some folks lionize this and find it heroic should be troubling to the more reflective members of the thread. May I venture to guess that if I died using some of the comm diving procedures I've endorsed and maybe some of my own design, that some members of this thread might be, shall we say, somewhat unkind in their observations regarding my demise??? That'd be fair and I've never claimed to be an "expert" or written any diving books, ok? Before my own accident, I was a pretty typical commercial air diver with limited gas experience and training.
I'm genuinely upset to hear about ANYONE dying while diving even if -- and especially when -- it's the result of easily-preventable factors.
When comparing accident stats between sport divers (including cave divers) and commercial divers, I think there is a distinction between folks working for a living and those engaged in recreation or hobby activitities. I don't know what the numbers are, but I suspect that the representative accidents are probably different. I've known two commercial divers who've been killed and a handful who've sustained serious injuries. None of these episodes were the result out of air or hyperbaric injuries of any sort. They were trauma accidents; crushings, lacerations and that sort of thing. I tend to think of these as industrial accidents, rather than diving acccidents, per-se. If you had welders, riggers, crane operators and manual laborers working blindfolded in dangerous environments, you'd probably get a lot of the same things.
I have seen a few hyperbaric injuries and breathing media supply problems, but in every case (that I've personally witnessed) the built-in redundencies or the chamber saved the situation.
Hey, I wish EVERYONE safe and happy diving -- and no Burke, I'm not selling anything.
And Bob3, you're damned right I cut sneaky farts and leave the room. It's standard operating procedure and the only way -- short of wearing a drysuit -- to escape detection! I thought they taught you guys that in dry suit school ;-)

Best regards
Doc

by "selling" I meant

(-To bring about or encourage sales of; promote: Good publicity sold the product.
-To cause to be accepted; advocate successfully: We sold the proposal to the school committee.
-To persuade (another) to recognize the worth or desirability of something: They sold me on the idea. ) Quote from dictionary.com
And you most certainly are "selling" something.

Secondly, how can you say "I apologize for bruising any sentiments with my Exley remark" and then say "but I do not apologize for for making the point" that would be about as stupid as saying "I apologize for hurting you, but I do not apologize for punching you in the face"

I am not going to comment on your original point any further as many people have already done so far better then I could, and you haven chosen to ignore them so I am assuming that you would ignore anything rational or intelligent that I might have to add to that discussion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom