NO spearfishing in Avalon (Catalina) waters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for posting Dr Bill.

I do find it sad though that some divers are dumb enough or mean enough to attempt to enter the dive park with a spear gun. One of the attractions to me of the park is that the critters are semi-tame and allow divers to get closer than normal. Taking advantage of this is very poor sportsmanship not to mention the danger in a crowded location.

Fortunately attempts to enter the dive park with spears or spearguns are extremely rare. The vast majority of spearos probably wouldn't even think of doing it (well, except in their dreams). Most of the incidents I've witnessed personally were in the City waters off Descanso and Hamilton Cove, and even these were not real frequent. They often involved individuals I would not consider real spearfishers, but people out for a "lark" with a new toy.

Doc that is the reason I brought up signs, most do not even think of a fishing licence for spearing. They get a device and want to get to the water and try it out, usually wounding, and not even prepared to fillet it, keep it cold or how there going to cook it for that matter.

Your state has close to 10 times the population ours does, so I"m thinking you have the fish officers out catching poachers. On the water every day here in wa, and only seen one at the dock on a derby, then as I was out salmon fishing they stopped and was only interested in vessel inspection. Even when there was three or four hundred boats trolling, never seen them out there. Its like they have there poaching number to call and they will want you to tell them where they are going to shore, that could cost you over $50 in fuel.

So my point of view is if it is posted it will be known there is no sea life collecting in certain areas.

Given the financial condition of the State of California, there is not much $$$ out there for enforcement... and CDF&G doesn't have a regular presence way out here on the island. It will be interesting to see if signs are posted by the State once the MPAs go into effect the beginning of next year. Local sheriffs can enforce the City municipal code. Ordinance 303 became part of Title 10, Section 1 of the City of Avalon Municipal Code which I quote below:

Sec. 10-1.01 Carrying Fishing Spears.

It shall be unlawful for any person to carry on the streets or other public property of the City any fishing spear, or any instrument which shall be sharpened or be dangerous, exceeding two (2') feet in length. (§1, Ord. 303)

Sec. 10-1.02 Fishing with Spears.

It shall be unlawful for any person to spear fish in the waters of the Pacific Ocean within the corporate limits of the City. (§2, Ord. 303)

I was surprised by Sec. 10-1.01 since I've seen plenty of Hawaiian slings and spearguns carried through Avalon with absolutely no enforcement.

Thanks for posting Dr Bill.

I do find it sad though that some divers are dumb enough or mean enough to attempt to enter the dive park with a spear gun. One of the attractions to me of the park is that the critters are semi-tame and allow divers to get closer than normal. Taking advantage of this is very poor sportsmanship not to mention the danger in a crowded location.

This is the kind of reckless assness that really gets under my skin. I'm in total agreement with you.

I have watched Portuguese Bend in Palos Verdes for a year. This area is designated as a no-take zone and signs are posted throughout the area. Most times I visit this site there are pole fishermen out on the bend. I have observed lifeguards telling them to stop through a loudspeaker but no one was directly approached or cited. I don't blame the lifeguards either. Confronting an armed hunter who is knowingly poaching in broad daylight in full view of beach spectators is best left to professionals.

Poaching can be reported to DFG by calling 1-888-CALTIP.

The MLPA only restricts take in the designated MPAs (marine protected areas), and only those which are specifically non-take MPAs. There are relatively few of them that will go into effect out here on the island come Jan 1st. Only two on the windward side and the ones on the leeward side include two very small ones (the dive park and Lover's cove which have essentially been off limits anyway). The vast majority of Catalina's coast is still open to take even after the new MPAs become law on January 1st.

Thank you Dr.Bill ....Its amazing what you can hear out hear some say the whole island will be closed .I was on Eagle reef this weekend and was told it will not be legal Jan.1st.....I need to find a good map of the closures and a good detail onwhat they are.

Thank you Dr.Bill ....Its amazing what you can hear out hear some say the whole island will be closed .I was on Eagle reef this weekend and was told it will not be legal Jan.1st.....I need to find a good map of the closures and a good detail onwhat they are.

The DFG is good about having maps and descriptions of the MPA's on their website. Don't expect the Fish and Game wardens to actually know where the lines are. A buddy and I had to pull out a GPS and show him where the line was on shore and that west was at a different angle from shore than he thought it was. I would think that they should know but we almost got cited because he didn't. Granted the MPA's were new, but still it is their job.

Bob
--------------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom