No St. Andrews, so where to now??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Snuff

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
So, St. Andrews bay is going to be dredged from April to June. I figure the diving there will be pretty bad for the rest of the summer. I don't know when the last time it was dredged, but if anyone knows how the diving was after it was done, please let us know! How long did it take to recover? So, it looks like I'll be looking for new beach diving opportunities, and plan on trying the jetties in Destin. Can anyone tell me if there's any beach diving in Pensacola? Or any other areas worth trying? I can't really afford charters and we usually camp to keep the costs down.

That's the first I've heard about dredging this spring. Oh well. The east finger jetty in Destin can be a fun dive, however you won't enjoy the walk from the parking area so much. Ft. Pickens is always good, especially if you've never been. There are tons of smaller-ish beach dives from Gulf shores to Destin: Just post here when you're heading down!

I think it was last dredged a couple years ago. Visibility was down, but not horrible. I remember having at least 15' visibility in the shallows. It did get dark at about 50'. Don't write it off just yet.

Here's the link if anyone's interested. It's supposed to be a 24/7 operation until its finished. Doesn't even sound like camping would be much fun for us, as we have a pop up and hear everything at night anyways.

Welcome to Florida State Parks

The channel was dredged a year or so ago and at some points almost right up to the jetties, I didn't see a large change during the dredging but it was extremely loud under water during dredging operations. I'd say let's wait and see where they are planning to dredge at before you say "No St. Andrews"

My wife and I dived St. Andrews a several years ago when dredging was being done.

We'd catch the tide right after it came in so the vis was still pretty good. The stirring up of little things from the bottom brought in hoardes of fish . . . it was amazing.

the K

Presently the dredge is about a half mile north of the jetties. They are still diveable and not so noisy... however the natural eddy currents have brought some silty water over to the rocks on even a nearly full high tide some of the past few days. Ironically the water coming into the bay is as clear as I've seen it this year!

Thanks for everyone's replies. I guess ill just have to keep my eyes on the dive reports. I hope to head down in the next month or so. If anyone goes down anytime soon, keep us updated please!

Back
Top Bottom