NOAA divers and their track record.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soggy once bubbled...

He did his checkout dives in Scituate, MA, I believe. I don't believe he was a federal employee.

Huh? On the NOAA diving webpage it says they train and certify in either Key West or Seattle at the HQ.....

Cincy... Soggy... DROP IT!!!

Well the latest NOAA manual is about 3 yrs. old now...The latest Navy Diving Manuals are 1 yr. old. Go get yourself some Navy Manuals...
The latest NOAA manual (4th edition) is from 2001, the USN (for the most part) was 1999, though they have done some updates a few times, mostly covering their heavy gear & other stuff not too applicable to sporties
The biggest factor is the $$; the NOAA manual runs almost $90 for the hardcover (their new CD is nice, but pricey) and the USN manual is available for free download from several sources.
For folks with slow speed internet connections, you'll find numerous copies (of wildly varying quality and content) on ebay.
I just "happen" to have one copy of the NOAA in hardcover, and one CD (first edition, I'm keeping the 2nd edition)
Also have stacks of USN manuals on CD, varying wildly in content & quality.:wink:
Anyone needing a copy of the USN manual, mail me a SASE with a blank CD & it's your for free.

I dive a long hose with my FFM, its about 150'.:tease:

cornfed once bubbled...
Cincy... Soggy... DROP IT!!!

LMAO :D Just having some fun...:(

It's been a slow day..:)

Bob3 once bubbled...

I dive a long hose with my FFM, its about 150'.:tease:

I believe the long hose needs to configured to the given situation. That is why I first mentioned the 50 ft or 100 ft long hose. For hookah or surfaced-supplied, the longer the better.

Hose length can be 27 inches to 1000 ft practically speaking.

I like 40 inches, because I can also use that for my deco tanks. I cannot use a 5 ft hose for my deco tanks.

I use 7 ft when I penitrate or participate in tech training. A 5 ft hose would be too short for a penitration dive.

I am surprised there is so much religious fervor over the 5 ft hose. Especially when it seems like a waste of money in the first place. But then, most divers waste a lot of money on gear and gadgets before they find the right gear and gadgets.

Karl_in_Calif once bubbled...
I use 7 ft when I penitrate or participate in tech training. A 5 ft hose would be too short for a penitration dive.

[rant]
penEtrate
penEtration

I'm sorry, but you've made this mistake every time you've typed the word and it is driving me nuts. It also makes me doubt that you've actually penEtrated anything.
[/rant]

I've only seen a NOAA diver using the long hose setup on one project. They were doing tech dives NW of hawaii. There was one NOAA diver and several non NOAA divers. The ship had folks from the Navy manning their portable chamber. Normal gear issued from the dive center to the diver was a seaquest stab jacket and scubapro reg.

If you are not doing penetrations what is the need for a 7 foot hose.

DennisS once bubbled...

If you are not doing penetrations what is the need for a 7 foot hose.

OOOOOO, DennisS Don't get them started...:D

Soggy once bubbled...

[rant]
penEtrate
penEtration

I'm sorry, but you've made this mistake every time you've typed the word and it is driving me nuts. It also makes me doubt that you've actually penEtrated anything.
[/rant]

its a pun, soggy. I like the i better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom