NOAA Standardized Equipment List

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KentFrazier

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I was curious about what dive gear NOAA approves. Looking on the NOAA website for a list of their standardized equipment, the only thing I was able to find was this very generic list.

Does anyone have or know of another resource that would have a detailed listing of NOAA approved gear?

Thanks,

Kent

Just for my own edification, why are you concerned about which gear is approved by the NOAA? I had no indication that the NOAA had anything to do with scuba diving.

the K

The Kraken:
Just for my own edification, why are you concerned about which gear is approved by the NOAA?
As I said in my OP, I am curious. I'm not intending to go out and buy "NOAA approved" gear, it is just an idle curiousity.
I had no indication that the NOAA had anything to do with scuba diving.

the K
Since they wrote the NOAA Diving Manual I thought they had a lot to do with scuba diving. :)

The Kraken:
Just for my own edification, why are you concerned about which gear is approved by the NOAA? I had no indication that the NOAA had anything to do with scuba diving.

the K

They train their own divers and divers from some non military agencies.

KentFrazier:
I was curious about what dive gear NOAA approves. Looking on the NOAA website for a list of their standardized equipment, the only thing I was able to find was this very generic list.

Does anyone have or know of another resource that would have a detailed listing of NOAA approved gear?

Thanks,

Kent

Did you look in the NOAA dive manual http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/09...f=pd_bbs_1/102-0926324-1664106?_encoding=UTF8 ?

I think you will find that the gear is pretty generic until you get to the chapters on trimix diving. Where you will find a photographic of a diver looking very DIR. So if you want want a detailed list you may want to also checkout Dan MacKay's book which can be purchased through GUE.

The Kraken:

the K

Well NOAA certifies their own divers, has the best dive manual out, and was a leader in developing nitrox diving. So yes they have rather a lot to do with scuba diving.

I haven't looked at the dive manual, yet. I have a copy, just not with me today. I'll get it tomorrow and have a look.

I was thinking that the "Standardized Equipment list" would be more specific as to makes and models, however.

I guess I was looking for something like this Navy Site.

In my line of work I know a lot of people from NOAA, and three of my dive buddies are NOAA divers. The NOAA diving program issues them new gear at regular intervals and they send the old stuff back to the main diving center for service. When diving for NOAA they are supposed to use the gear NOAA provides.

If you really want to know the exact details, I'll be seeing one of my NOAA diver buddies Monday so I can interrogate him for more info. To the best of my memory, they are currently outfitted with a Scubapro Mk 25 reg, Abyss neoprene drysuit, and a Seaquest Pro QD BC.

Chris,

Thanks for the information. No need to interrogate him :D , but if you get a chance to find out a little bit more like if there is a online list or something that would be great.

Back
Top Bottom