Non-diving spouse - suggestions for travel destinations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I go to Cayman Islands a lot, I dive in the mornings and spend the afternoon with her. This has worked out well. She truly is a good sport, knowing that I love to dive.

I'm going to follow this thread for ideas. While my hubby isn't a "non-diver", he certainly is much less enthusiastic about it than I am, and he does much fewer dives than I do. I am quite happy to do 2+ dives a day, whereas he is fine to stop after one, I have ambitions to go beyond OW and AOW, he's fine to stick with OW only. So any ideas on stuff that offers surface activities for non-divers I'll happily latch on.

Sadly, we are also limited by the fact that due to him being a ginger, he doesn't like beaches (can't blame him. He is either red or white and nothing inbetween, and red is painful).
The next two big trips we booked, we'll do with non-diving friends, so he can hang out with them, and I can go frolick in more advanced depths. But yes, overall, I'll be happily browsing and getting ideas here :)

Bali has great diving and wonderful topside activities.

I've been to Bali almost every year in the last 10 years. A lot of topside activities for sure. Balinese are very peaceful people. You will see plenty of smiles.

July would be the best time to visit with cool winter breeze coming from Down Under.

Koalaroo does your husband know you introduce him as..a ginger,,I guess coming from Sydney may explain this derogatory slur :)

In your case I may take a wild stab in the dark and assume you have a Bintang tshirt and stubby holder re Bali lol..if you are the only Aussie who hasn't dived the liberty at Tulumben please fix this asap in the interests of keeping up the reputation of your compatriots.

In your case you are kind of spoiled for choice as you have quick cheap flights to places like Fiji, Samoa, Cook Islands, NZ, Vanuatu, PNG even French Polynesia with both diving and non diving stuff.

I dived in Vanuatu recently and found quite a lot to do topside too. There are a lot of caves such as millennium cave that may be a suitable day trip for a ginger on account of the darkness lol.

Koalaroo does your husband know you introduce him as..a ginger,,I guess coming from Sydney may explain this derogatory slur :)

In your case I may take a wild stab in the dark and assume you have a Bintang tshirt and stubby holder re Bali lol..if you are the only Aussie who hasn't dived the liberty at Tulumben please fix this asap in the interests of keeping up the reputation of your compatriots.

In your case you are kind of spoiled for choice as you have quick cheap flights to places like Fiji, Samoa, Cook Islands, NZ, Vanuatu, PNG even French Polynesia with both diving and non diving stuff.

I dived in Vanuatu recently and found quite a lot to do topside too. There are a lot of caves such as millennium cave that may be a suitable day trip for a ginger on account of the darkness lol.

*lol* I am not born and bred Aussie (I'm one of those bloody Expats :p ) . My husband is fully aware of his redheaded gingery heritage and calls himself such. Proudly so, including to admitting of having no soul of his own, and being part of the group that for every soul he steals he gains one freckle. He'd introduce himself as the ginger, given the chance :wink:

I have never heard of a Bintang shirt, and I have actually never been to Bali. I have also never dived the Liberty and so long as I am not certified to go beyond 18 meters, will likely stay far, far above any wreck.
So far, I have been to 4 dive sites in my "diving career" - One of which was the swimming pool of my LDS :wink:, and one I have dived 10 times so far ... I am far from experienced, but fully intend to get there (I has ambitions).

We have a trip planned to Vanuatu and New Caledonia in December by which hubby will likely have a handful of logged dives, and I will have had another 30-40 dives, if things go to plan. We'll end up doing shallow dives there and hope the dive sites are accommodating to n00bs. I'd love to have my AOW / Nitrox till then, in order to go deeper for longer and do a second dive. Might end up having to leave my husband somewhere in the shade with a good book.

As for future vacation, I know, I'll always want more dives than he does, and so I hope to find spaces where there are plenty of surface activities for him, too, that don't involve sun bathing. I'll definitely keep that cave in mind, and I'd likely even skip a dive for that to come explore that one myself :)

Ahh..a Pom..that explains everything :)

Actually the Liberty is a good dive for beginners and you can pick up a much coveted Bintang t shirt when you make it there.

You will enjoy NC and Van. Without clogging up this thread PM me if you need any recommendations for operators. The cave is good, worth doing on your off gas day...if he goes full lobster just give him a few shells of kava and park him in the shade while you go diving :)

Patty and I have simple pact. I select diving destinations with beaches. I dive in the mornings and then we snorkel/hang out in the afternoons. We love Cozumel and Belize. Patty is particularly fond of Turneffe Island Resort in Belize. Every 3 or 4 years I will do a liveaboard by myself, the last two were to Galapagos and Socorro. I have a GREAT wife......

_57c8a1a431a592af806925e57258202f.png

:wink:

You aren't scared, are you?

We have lots of antiquities and wrecks that go back to pre-Phoenician times in addition to the antiquities on Land that predate the Egyptian ones.

2012 Benghazi attack is still thick in my mind

2012 Benghazi attack is still thick in my mind

And so does 9/11 in NY. Libya is almost three times the size of Texas btw with about 1200 miles of coastline.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom