Non PADI Card Rejected?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NWGratefulDiver:
It was a shop in Kihei called "The Green Turtle" or some such ... we only chose it because of location (it was right next to our condo). We ended up going to B&B, which was an excellent operation.

He didn't give a reason ... just that they only accept PADI cards.

I figure in Maui, dive shops can afford to chase away business ... since there's so much of it. On the other hand, dive shops are on every street corner ... so it's no big whoop to find one that suits your fancy.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

WOW - that sounds quite "ridiculous" guess they won't let me dive with them either then (I only have NAUI and IANTD cards)

Really sad . . .and most ops here are so lax on their requirements for divers it's even worse - I ran into a diver several weeks ago that got her entire OW cert in one day - it was a last minute decision to get certified so I don't think she even had the book work done in advance. At least she got her cert through PADI though . . .

Tim

kidspot:
WOW - that sounds quite "ridiculous" guess they won't let me dive with them either then (I only have NAUI and IANTD cards)

Really sad . . .and most ops here are so lax on their requirements for divers it's even worse - I ran into a diver several weeks ago that got her entire OW cert in one day - it was a last minute decision to get certified so I don't think she even had the book work done in advance. At least she got her cert through PADI though . . .

Tim

Documentation please. This is by no means an allegation or an accusation, but please do not post things like this without providing someone with the necessary details so a QA report can be filed.

If there is no evidence, no witnesses or whatever, it's hearsay.

FatCat:
Documentation please. This is by no means an allegation or an accusation, but please do not post things like this without providing someone with the necessary details so a QA report can be filed.

If there is no evidence, no witnesses or whatever, it's hearsay.

sorry - not meant as an accusation or allegation on my part either, only a "subjective" observation - the person in question was a customer of mine at one of my part-time jobs - she and her boyfriend were shopping - he was wearing a dive t-shirt so I struck up a conversation and they informed me that the night before she had decided to get certified - and had just finished her course before coming in to the mall.

I've got friends who have taken all manner of courses up to the DM level and were dissapointed/relieved that the written standards were not even close to being met.

There are also a LOT of very good instructors around here - and I did not mean to impune them by any means. Only found it ironic with Bob's post and my little "observation"

Tim

P.S. Please take this as no more than "hearsay" because that's all it's worth when a rant is going on. . .

kidspot:
I've got friends who have taken all manner of courses up to the DM level and were dissapointed/relieved that the written standards were not even close to being met.

There are also a LOT of very good instructors around here - and I did not mean to impune them by any means. Only found it ironic with Bob's post and my little "observation"

Tim

Well, no skin off my nose. But just out of curiousity: are you sure it was an OW cert?

The reason I ask is that PADI has a "bailout" cert, the infamous Scuba Diver c-card. This can be done in a day or so (more likely two days, but OK, what the heck...) and is basically a resort diver card. Like a big neon sign flashing overhead, screaming "I need supervision".

But it's a cert allright...

Can't say for sure - the implication they made was that they were both equally certified now - and he had been diving for several years. But implications are easily mis-read. And the point was the same - in a market where you have some people trying to make the most money in the shortest time possible . . . you are more likely to get shoddy standards and the overlooking of standards. It's very easy when you assume you will never see your customer again - which is frequently the attitude of many different businesses here. Those businesses (in whatever industry) don't tend to last long as they soon discover word on Maui travels fast and we DO have a lot of dependence upon repeat business. I am amazed working at a mall (it's a Harley Davidson T-Shirt shop) how frequently I have customers who remember me from last year's visit (or a couple of years back) and I am only there part-time...
Tim

voop:
Everyone else: apologiez for hi-jacking the thread.
Don't apologize, Thomas. The hijack is highly interesting .... En effet, plus intéressant que le sujet original .... :wink:

I do have some follow-up questions, but I'll put them in a PM.
Bretagne:
but for N2+initiateur you are wrong. (as rescue part of the exam is done without air tank, apnea only, no risk of lung expansion;
... Perhaps no lung expansion injuries, no. However, you may well risk shallow water blackout. This very thing happened during an almost identical CMAS exercise in another country the other year. The victim was saved by very speedy and efficient resuscitation by the dive instructors (several were fortunately present at the scene). It's perhaps an interesting exercise but IMNSHO quite a dangerous one ... :06:

fins wake:
Don't apologize, Thomas. The hijack is highly interesting .... En effet, plus intéressant que le sujet original .... :wink:

Impressive! :) I've been here since '99, and I only write the language sporadically...

I do have some follow-up questions, but I'll put them in a PM.

Be my guest. :wink:

... Perhaps no lung expansion injuries, no. However, you may well risk shallow water blackout. This very thing happened during an almost identical CMAS exercise in another country the other year. The victim was saved by very speedy and efficient resuscitation by the dive instructors (several were fortunately present at the scene). It's perhaps an interesting exercise but IMNSHO quite a dangerous one ... :06:

Hmm, I haven't seen any shallow water blackouts during those exercises here, but then again: I teach different exercises and try to stay clear of hurting/killing my students.

Cheers,

Short from Norway. If you come here to dive, bring your license. Any will do from PADI OWD and up. (There's nothing but UP from that one anyway, is it...)

I only have PADI AOWD myself, and some years of experience. Still careful after all these years. I'm currently working on Basic Nitrox (My job pays for it...) and CMAS*** Skin Diver Instructor.

I'm considering to work for NAUI Divemaster. Any opinions on that one compared to other equivalents?

What's NAUI's position in general "over there" at your place? Would it be reqognized anywere in the States and around?

fins wake:
Perhaps no lung expansion injuries, no. However, you may well risk shallow water blackout. This very thing happened during an almost identical CMAS exercise in another country the other year. The victim was saved by very speedy and efficient resuscitation by the dive instructors (several were fortunately present at the scene). It's perhaps an interesting exercise but IMNSHO quite a dangerous one ... :06:
We have a rule in my diving club: never do apnea without someone in the water following you, watching you and ready to save you.
Nevertheless, the timed rescue exercise we have to do is: 100m with fins, mask and snorkel, immediately followed by 20 secondsof dynamic apnea (without breathing preparation, which reduces a lot the risk of shallow water black out, as we begin the apnea with quite a lot of CO2 in our lungs), 10 second of breathing in surface (no more), then apnea again to take the dummy, then 100m carrying the dummy. The difficulty of the exercise (where people fail the first time they try) is not to do less than the maximum time of 8mn (I do not even imagin how we can be close to 8mn, common time is less than 6mn, less than 5mn for good swimmers), but to succeed in holding the 20s apnea... while we usually hold far more than 40s with breathing preparation... where the risk of shallow water blackout is real.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom