Non-underwater hunters please read

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drbill:
QUETZAL- Hold on here, fella. This thread was aimed at non-hunters, so non-hunters with rational responses to the issues raised have every right to post follow-ups. Likewise for marine ecologists who generally have a lot more knowledge about the resource than many fishers. Very inappropriate response on your part IMHO.

Archman does raise a good point. The sheephead fishery here in so Cal has been closed "early" a number of times because the harvest rate was too great. Now this was not due entirely to spearfishers by any means. The "party boats," charter boats that bring "large" numbers of sportfishers, that enter our waters take a large percentage of the catch. These are rod-and-reel fishers who are just too concentrated for the resource.

I'm always irritatingly "amused" by one boat, the Freelance (out of Newport Beach I believe), that not only frequents Catalina's shoreline but has a nasty habit of dropping its lines either in marine reserves or right next to them. And I thought the captains of such boats didn't believe that marine reserves work. I guess actions speak louder than words.

Dr. Bill
The Underwater Hunting Forum is here to discuss where to hunt, how to hunt, hunting equipment, seafood recipes and hunting adventures. It is not the place for folks who are not underwater hunters (or at least have an interest in becoming underwater hunters). If you're here to complain about spearfishing or lobstering or any other kind of hunting underwater you've come to the wrong place.
I posted what I thought was a decent question about bringing AJ's to the boat right after I posted here. I got one response for this post 12. Guess "I'VE came to the the wrong place!"

Yes, the commercial salmon fishers were among the first I'm aware of that have tried to replenish the resource. I used to have a part interest in a salmon boat out of Fort Bragg, CA, in the early 80's. It was strictly hook-and-line. Worked with the captain on a fish trap in the redwoods where we trapped salmon coming upstream top spawn. Calif. Fish & Game took the milt and eggs to fish hatcheries where they could be raised and later released in the streams.

Of course salmon farms have largely replaced the catch from this fleet now.

As for taking the larger fish and "making room" for the smaller ones to grow, I think my point about reproductive potential was lost in the shuffle. Generally the larger a female of a given species, the more eggs she will produce during any given spawn. It is often an exponential relationship. Therefore the large females are often far more valuable in effecting quick recovery in areas that are fished, or hit by natural disasters.

Dr. Bill

Quetzal, if you think this thread would be more appropriate in another forum, ask a mod to move it..

"Ecosystems and preservation" perhaps..

cancun mark:
Quetzal, if you think this thread would be more appropriate in another forum, ask a mod to move it..

What! You mean DOCTOR bill's not the MOD?

cancun mark:

imo it belongs right here to help the non hunters understand a little more and not point fingers.

It also helps hunters learn more from experts on what might be better and then the hunter can make the choice on what they want to do for themselves.

What you are saying then is that you can't stand to have non-hunters answer your polemic.

That is very weak in my opinion. If you have something to say then quit hiding behind a forum. Stand up on your hind legs like a man and defend your ideas!

OK... that was too harsh. But if you want to talk to non-hunters.. don't do it in a room where they are specifically requested to refrain from posting.

I have to agree with UP here. The initial post was pretty inflammotory to not allow anyone with dissenting views to post. Asking a "non-hunter" to read is tantamount to asking them to respond as well.

In the future, instead of wasting thread space complaining about a post or screaming at people to leave "your" forum, please use the "report this post" button instead. We will take a look, though we may not always agree with the initial assessment.

Like I said it was not a slam and I was just looking for some understanding on the situation since there was so many nonhunters deciding to post and a few of the non hunters even agreed with me.

The post was going fine and the only slam in this post was made by a moderator.

My post was polite and informitive imo

I surrender and you win.

scubapro5:
Like I said it was not a slam and I was just looking for some understanding on the situation since there was so many nonhunters deciding to post and a few of the non hunters even agreed with me.

My post was polite and informitive imo

I surrender and you win.
2nd that. You know why don't the just close the whole forum. I only post here because it seems to be more active than other places.

I think only UP and I have posted on this thread. I didn't see his post as a slam... just a reminder that you ASKED the non-hunters to read this particular thread, which is also an invitation to participate in it.

IF THERE ARE POSTS THAT ARE TROLLS ELSEWHERE IN THE FORUM, PLEASE USE THE REPORT THIS POST LINK. It's the exclamation mark on the lower left of every post! It's just that simple. If it's easy to clean up, we will do that right then. If it's more convoluted (like the Octopus thread), then it will take longer.

Many of our users use the "New Post" feature and really don't realize that they are posting in this forum. Clean up is pretty simple IF you tell us early on. (Did I mention the "Report this Post" link on the bottom left of very post...the one with the exclamation mark on it?) We want this forum to be troll free, but we need YOUR help to do it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom