North Carolina wrecks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

O-ring -

Definitely depends on depth, but warmer than most think thanks to the Gulfstream which sweeps some nice, clear and warm water closer to the coastline.

On most moderate dives (60-80 fsw) a 5mil/7mil farmer john wet suit w/ gloves should be more than fine. If you tend to be on the cold-side, you might wear a heavier jacket or a hood.

If your dive plan calls for deeper dives or shallow dives with some deco stops, a heavier suit might be nice for the longer bottom time.

Overall, I would plan for water temps to be in the low 70s through about 70-80fsw. It'll cool off a bit (high 60s) beyond 130fsw.

All of this is based on previous log book entries. I would definitely check out the website on my prev post, the NOAA webtsite or ODC's website (Olympus) as your trip approaches for current info.

I was thinking 5 mil, so hopefully that will work out for me when I come down. This will be my first visit to the NC wrecks and I can't wait!

I found this someplace (I do not remember where). It is the Average water temperature and visibility.

Month Air Temp Water Temp Visibility
Jan 43 60 40
Feb 45 55 40
March 53 60 40
April 61 65 50
May 68 65 50
June 75 72 70
July 78 78 80-100
Aug 77 80 80-100+
Sept 72 80 80-100+
Oct 63 75 75
Nov 54 70 50
Dec 47 65 50

hope this helps

Mike

Last June I dove the Advance, wwwII class sub chaser sunk as artificial reef, approximatly 8-10 miles east of Oregon Inlet off Hatteras National Seashore. Vis 60+. Water temp 70 deg. Depth, 85 ft. to the sand. Cool part of this wreck is the suberstructure is at 40ft. so you can extend your bottom time while still enjoying the wreck. 1/4" neoprene exposure suit fine for typical dive. Chartered with OBX dive center.

Excellent marine life, large schools of Spade Fish, Amber Jack, Eels, etc. Very large animals. I have first hand experience with earlier post about motion sickness medicine. I'm a Lake Erie regular and still wasn't prepared for rough ocean. Funny thing is as soon as you decend, it goes away. Had a great time. Its hit or mis on the vis though. Labrador and Gulf stream currents converge in this area. Gulf stream is semi tropical and can allow for excellent vis if you can catch it. All in all an excellent time!

last weekend ( April 26-28) I made four dives on the Dixie Arrow and one on the Proteus. The bottom temps were around 72 deg. F. The fish life was abundant!

Robert:doctor:

Originally posted by DocRCH
last weekend ( April 26-28) I made four dives on the Dixie Arrow and one on the Proteus. The bottom temps were around 72 deg. F. The fish life was abundant!

Robert:doctor:

I think I should move.... water temp in the St Lawrence was 44F last weekend. sigh:(

My choice of boats from the Discovery Diving group is "Captain's Lady" with skipper Capt Leroy.

Many good wrecks have been mentioned. I happened to like the inshore wreck "Indra", recognizing that it is an artifical reef. The one that I would avoid if you have any say in it is "Suloide". It's a scattered rubble field not too far away from the "Indra", and I certainly didn't find it a suitable site to journey from NW Ohio to see. If I want rubble fields, I go to the western basin of Lake Erie.

Enjoy your trip,
cwb

Originally posted by cwb
My choice of boats from the Discovery Diving group is "Captain's Lady" with skipper Capt Leroy.

Many good wrecks have been mentioned. I happened to like the inshore wreck "Indra", recognizing that it is an artifical reef. The one that I would avoid if you have any say in it is "Suloide". It's a scattered rubble field not too far away from the "Indra", and I certainly didn't find it a suitable site to journey from NW Ohio to see. If I want rubble fields, I go to the western basin of Lake Erie.

Enjoy your trip,
cwb

I prefer the crew from Morehead but that's a different tale...

As for the Suloide, on a clear day it is a lot more than a rubble pile. Granted it no longer looks like a ship, unless of course you know what the disassembled pieces of a ship look like, but the Indra will never give up any wardroom silver service, like the Suloide did a couple of years back.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom