North Carolina wrecks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by cwb

I prefer to take nothing away from a wreck except memories or pictures... I'd like the person that dives there after me to have an opportunity for the same experience...

That is a truly comendable thought but the silver service was buried and on view for no one. Now at least some can view this treasure form the deep.

Originally posted by dkigreg

That is a truly comendable thought but the silver service was buried and on view for no one. Now at least some can view this treasure form the deep.

How did they end up locating them? Was it from knowledge or rumor that they were on the ship at the time? Seems that it would have taken a lot of "poking" around to stumble on them, so I'm guessing some sort of ship "inventory".

Where did they end up being displayed? Is it a public place that I might perchance visit if I'm "blown out" on my next visit to the area?

tx, Bob

Certainly knowledge plays into it but luck is the biggest influence (in my opinion anyway). Some of the details are on page 224 of Rod Farb'ss book on the wrecks of NC.

Has anyone dove any of the wrecks located directly offshore of the Outer Banks and supposedly reachable from the beach?

My research has brought up some wrecks no more than 200 yards from the shore, namely the Carl Gerhard, Kyzickes, Huron, and the Oriental.

In addition to some offshore boat dives this month, I'd like to see these sites as well if they are worth the time. Anyone seen these shore wrecks?

Most of the inshore stuff is in low viz water and buried in the sand. I'm not talking a foot ot two of buried either, the barrier islands move around a lot, measured in hundreds of feet...

I can not wait to get out to NC or SC for some wreck diving If every thing goes right Ill be heading out that way in aug. I only live about five hours away. hope to see some of yall out there.

:sharky:

I'll be in Kitty Hawk Sept. 14 throuh the 21st. Hope to catch a charter with Outer Banks Dive Center and perhaps even do a shore dive or two. No divers in group I'll be there with. If anyone is in the that area during that week, send me a note. May dive U-85 if possible. Had a great dive the last time I was in Outher Banks NC. Course diving mud puddles over the years in NE Ohio, anything else a real treat.

Can't imaging shore diving Outer Banks could be much worse than quarry I was in this past Sat. Vis about two ft. at best ;-0 Nelson Ledges if anyone is interested......... Hey if your hooked, you take what you can get and get wet! :mean:

bigcat

Know what you mean, I do a lot of quarry diving here in Tennessee and a lot of river diving also.

I dive with discovery twice a month, great operation. You'll be on the Captains Lady with Leroy (he is a great captain). You'll probably get the Papoose, Schurz, Uboat and aeolus suggested to you and hit the Indra or the Ashkabad in the way in.... Papoose has some big ol' sandtigers as does the Schurz, the Uboat is a good dive but lacks large life on it, sometimes the bait ball can get to thick to see the wreck also... Aeolus is a good dive with a nice profile 80-120', good for spear fishing. Indra is a good dive but I have dove so many time (16 last summer!) that I;m ired of it, you will most likely like it.... You'll have a great time... maybe I'll see ya there?!!!
:jester:

Back
Top Bottom