North Carolina wrecks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive mostly with Olympus and Discovery. I have nothing but good things to say about both. The six-pack at Discovery is a lot easier to get into in rougher seas than doing the "carolina ladder ride" on the bigger boats. My opinion only.

I would recommend diving:
Shurz (lots of Morays)
Papoose (big sandtigers with menacing grins)
U-352 (lots of history)
And if your in the Wilmington area the "lobster wreck" or City of Houston.

There are alot of smaller dive operators in NC and I have NOT been diving with all of them. However, the two above plus Seaduced-n-sea out of Carolina beach are great. I have seen incedents on two of the others that were caused by improper boat maintenance or procedures. Talk to boat captains and check out the boats before you go out. I have even been put on the wrong wreck. I am sure there are many good small operations out there but the three I mention are the ones I stick to.

Also, try the food at Clawsons in Beaufort and Sanitary Fish Market in Morehead City...Yummy

Marlinspike

Scubadent,

There is a civil war era blockade runner right offshore in Carolina Beach. It's the General Beauregard. It ran aground in 63' or 64'. The boilers and parts of the paddlewheel are still intact. The wreck is in about 15-20fsw. This wreck is only right outside of the breakers as well. Not a bad dive if you don't mind the bad vis.

-christen

Originally posted by Marlinspike

I would recommend diving:
Shurz (lots of Morays)

The Shurz could be a very interesting dive at the moment. When I was down there a couple weeks ago The Olympus was out Mon, Tue, and Wednesday on a live-aboard digging. We got blown out thursday and friday so they never really got to finish...

[yea yea yea... I'll get a trip report up one of these days. I wrote it up last week but my system crashed and I lost it all :(]

There are several great wreck dives out of the Wilmington area.

If you like historic wrecks, there are several ships on the bottom as a result of the WWII german "artificial reef" program.

The John D. Gill is sitting in about 85 feet. Years of storms have taken there toll and while there is some relief, it is almost flat to the bottom.

Diving out of the Wrightsville Beach / Wilmington area, the summer water temps are fairly nice. water temps are in the low 80s for most of the summer.

the outfit i usualy dive with is Aquatic Safaris.

http://www.aquaticsafaris.com/index.html

When I go down to the Morehead area, I really like the wreck "Neaco". It is a little far from shore, so it does not get the dive traffic as some of the other. Also if you head north, the Atlas and Portland are excellent wrecks. In Atlantic Beach, the dive boat/operation DiverDown is great.

Robert:doctor:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom