Northern Florida's best of the best?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know for how far you are taking a cab but if possible, definitely rent a car or SUV. Florida is a very long state from north to south. I'm from north Florida but for someone's first time in Florida I would reccomend taking a trip down to the keys. A lot of travel but the keys are awesome!

Also- for a taste of old time Florida and strange critters go to the Yearling restaurant north of Ocala in spring country.

I think he means a pick up truck, with extended cab, not a taxi cab.

Your best bet would be a SUV from one of the rental places, you probably won't find a rental pick up truck.

Good call on Underwater Explorers! Kevin is great!

Dove yesterday off Jax in 110',had 30' to 50' vis water was 67 to 69.
Limit of bugs taken.
Saw gag grouper, red snapper,cobia,amberjacks,stingrays,nurse sharks,jewfish,school of spadefish,porkfish,blue runners,lionfish,porgies,mangrove snapper,spotted eagle ray,barracuda,kingfish,sheepshead,dolphin mammal,bonito and probly a few I don't notice much.Caught a #60 wahoo while trolling.Had a hammerhead and a blacktip shark to the transom just looking for a handout.

Where else can you see that variety of fish on one dive almost every dive?While you are busy getting 4-10lb lobster:rofl3:?

Devil's Den is the most interesting of all the springs.Drifting the Sante Fe River takes you past Ginnie and gives you access to some cool side springs.

From that i have compiled a list of great dives.....Hopefully!!

In no particular order:

Ginnie Springs
Devil's Eye
Devil's Ear
Blue grotto
Devils Den
Full day Manatee interaction and snorkelling tour
Drift dive down Rainbow River

I could still do with 3 more dives to fully fill my intinary, what have i missed that's really good. (We are not cavern or cave certified)........

Take Devil's Eye off your list since you're not cavern/cave trained. It's a 4-5 mtrs/12-15' wide hole in the bottom of the spring run that drops to 15' at the sand with the current river level. As the river level continues to drop, that depth will decrease. The spring run is 2 mtrs/6' at the deepest. Right now, because of recent rains, doing the drift from the Devil's Eye run to the Ginnie run isn't worth it because the river water is very tannic and very cold, about 20+ F degrees colder.

Other area springs that may or may not be divable at that time dependent on recent rains at the time include Troy and Alexander Springs. They are both OW dives. I don't know how much of your trip is already booked, but you may want to consider delaying it by a month or two so you can take advantage of diving more systems.

Take a look at a list I have on my website: Florida Fresh Water Springs Scroll down to look over the table on that page. At the bottom, I've broken the springs into locations.

You may want to consider filling in your extra days with a cavern course at the beginning of your trip. It will open up a lot more dives sites for you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom