Northern Sea of Cortez Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaSteve

Wow.....what a DB
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am looking to find out if there is any good diving at the northern end of the Sea of Cortez. I may be working :banghead: in the Mexicali area, and would like to get some diving in :sharkattack:. The southern Baja, although I am sure has better diving, would be too far to drive.

Any feedback or suggestions would be much appreciated.

There's good diving in San Carlos (near Guaymas). Several operators running boats, also some shore diving. My favorite operator is Surface Time, near the marina.

The Dive Shop in Tucson runs camping dive trips to Himalaya Bay. That's probably the closest diving in Northern Baja from Mexicali. There's no facilities other than what they bring along.

Rocky Point/Puerto Penasco is also an option. There's a large tidal exchange since it's the very end of the Sea of Cortez. My buddy said that the viz isn't very good at times. Bird island 25mi. offshore has thousands of sea lions. The shorediving can be as shallow as 20' or so in most areas (lots of good beaches) so get on a boat. Sun & Fun is the diveop in that area. A good review of the area on DTMag's website. Also it's a huge Spring Break destination.

I'd estimate San Carlos to be about a 5-6 hr. or so drive...or more from Mexicali. But it's good - warm in the summer - diving. Lots of sea lions, eels, King and Cortez angelfish etc. - especially at San Pedro off the coast. Most of the diveops run daytrips out there, it's under 2hrs. each way - depending on the boat speed. We went out with Gary's (slow boat) which wasn't the best. It's typical to see dolphins during the crossing - we did. I second the recommendation for Surface Time, they seemed like the best local operator. And they're located at the marina, most of the other shops are in town.

"I may be working in the Mexicali area..."

Good luck with that.

As mentioned above there is exellent diving in the Northern part of the Sea of Cortez. I'd recommend hooking up with Arizona dive shops and dive in groups until you get used to the area.

daniel f aleman:
Good luck with that.......
:confused: :rofl3:

I agree. I have been there a couple of times on business and am kind of hoping it does not happen. But, the diving will be great from the sounds of it.. :11: ..Sea Lions?? most excellent.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom