not a diving accident but.......

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A buddy of mine T-boned a van at 65MPH knocking the van off the road and denting the van's door.

This guy had to be going way faster.

BTW, my buddy is a paraplegic now too.

cancun mark:
Wow, I was thinking more in the 150 Mph range, it sure looks like a lot of damage. That is why I posted it.
I've seen similar damage done by a deer running into the side of a moving car. I don't know how fast deer run but I'm guessing it's somewhere shy of 150 MPH.

James

I showed the pic to my dad, retired California Highway Patrol and currently Director of Fresno State Police Academy...his response:

A couple of things have to be considered in order to make a good estimate. How far sideways was the car pushed (energy being exerted) at impact? That aside, the motorcycle was probably doing 60-70 mph.

Just our 2 bubbles...

I hadn't realized that those little cars could go so fast sideways. Gee, that probably flattened the bike's front tire and scratched some of the fender paint.

nuthin a good wax couldn't hide

Wow, momentum can be real bummer if your in the wrong place at the wrong time. If both these vehicles were moving, what are the odds they hit like this? Very, very long i would bet.

Wendy:
...Cars are made to fold up like this upon impact. Its not that they are made poorly, but they are made to absorb the shock of the impact. There are 3 impacts in a crash: the car hitting an object, the body hitting the inside of the car, and the internal organs hitting the rib cage or the inside of the body...

How true!

I remember a car accident from about a decade ago. I was going through an intersection, fairly slowly, and all of a sudden everything went dark, except that I could still hear noises and such.

When I awoke, I was stuck in the middle of a car accident that resulted from another car running the light, apparently. The seat belt had kept me safely in my seat, and the height of my SUV-jeep had kept me above the major impact zone. But I still had a major headache from my brain slamming against the inside of my skull during the sudden stop.

The most interesting thing about it all was that I could not remember anybody's name at work, after the accident, for about a day. And it took about a week for the headache to go away.

Unscratched on the outside, though.

I pulled up to a stop sign going to school in a prety heavy fog one morning. I could just barely make out the red light at the next intersection down the street to my right (the other end of the block my high school was on) but saw no cars in that direction.

To my left I could see a car slowing down to turn right and go down the street behind me.

I began to cross the intersection and saw a chrome door handle at the end of my cars hood.

Then I felt the front of the car jerk to the left about a foot, heard a bang and felt a minor impact (I was going maybe 5-10 MPH at that point).

It turns out that a grey car (same color as the fog) with no lights on was speeding through the school zone. He ended up on the front lawn of the 5th or 6th house down the street after spining around a few times.

Remember, SCHOOL zone... speed limit of 35 / 25 during school hours. I had no 1st period class so I always came in starting 2nd period my senior year so it was WELL WITHIN school hours.

Looking at the skid marks, the 1st cop on the scene verbaly agreed that the other guy HAD to be speeding to end up where he was.

Too bad the cop who actualy wrote up the report was a more senior guy who showed up a few minutes later.

Guess who got a ticket and who got off.

Yep.

The 50+ year old 'upright citizen' who was running late for work got off scott-free. The 'irisponsible youth' was given a ticket for running a stop sign and MY insurance had to pay for the whole thing...

Evidence (skid marks, etc.) and whitnesses (at least 2 other cars pacticaly left their own skid marks leaving the scene so they wouldn't get stuck there answering questions) counted for NOTHING.

Heck, fixing my car cost me less than $200 worth of parts and a few hours in the back yard with the tool box. What with all the wild careening around and bouncing off curbs, trees and bushes, the other guys car was a total write off.

Life lesson learned: Sometimes ya just get screwed no matter whos fault it really was...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom