Not to start a flame war or anything

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Plungermartin, take this over to Spearboard.com and let's get it on. We can argue this to the death over there and prove you wrong. Anyway, all elitist freedive spearos claim that they are better spearos anyway due to lack of bubbles, stealth, etc. Why then would any freediver have a prob. with scuba spearing if they are so good anyway?

When I first started spearfishing back in the early 70s in the Canaries, I learned with a couple of suicidal types that used Scuba to spearfish sharks. They never used Scuba to go after normal fish. They told me it was allowable by law and not one sided and they had some nasty scars to prove it. :wink:
Of course there seemed to to be a lot more sharks around 35 years ago.

arguments over the ethics of different kinds of fishing are pretty inane. you've got an inherant evolutionary advantage no matter what, and its never going to be fair to the fish. as long as you don't take more than you eat and don't do anything to destroy the ecosystem, I don't see where ethics gets into it. just fish in the manner that you enjoy. the result is going to be the same.

Thanks for the links on this topic. I was unaware of where it was. Sorry about the intrusion, I'll take a look at the arguments on both sides.

ScottZeagle:
From the "sticky" on the top of this page:
But it doesn't explicitly say "no discussion about scuba vs. freediving spearfishing". That is why I posted my post where I did, couldn't find a thread about this anywhere.

miketsp:
in the Canaries, I learned with a couple of suicidal types that used Scuba to spearfish sharks. They never used Scuba to go after normal fish. They told me it was allowable by law and not one sided and they had some nasty scars to prove it. :wink:

...the aqua-version of a bullfight ?

...if everyone had the same underwater hunting skills as me - the fish would be safe (I am still learning though)

How right you are Scott! I've been sitting in traffic for 2 hours so I'm a little testy? :wink:

ScottZeagle:
I think if we ignore this thread, it will just die...

deadend:
Plungermartin, take this over to Spearboard.com and let's get it on. We can argue this to the death over there and prove you wrong. Anyway, all elitist freedive spearos claim that they are better spearos anyway due to lack of bubbles, stealth, etc. Why then would any freediver have a prob. with scuba spearing if they are so good anyway?

With that attitude you'll fit in well over at spearboard, with all the other weekend warriors :crafty:

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom