Notifying the team

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Confess, Communicate, Conform, Conserve

Confess = Admit that something was "normal" or expected
Communicate = While others have your "spare" gas, you've got theirs
Conform = follow instructions or decisions as needed
Conserve = now that you know there's an issue, you know there's less of a safety margin too

I would have pointed to me, done the "knuckle head" sign and communicated my "revised" pressure. Then ask if they wanted to proceed or turn the dive.

maybe i'm insane. a fundamentals level dive. gas has been analyzed and you have plenty to get a decent dive in.

what the problem is?

maybe i'm insane. a fundamentals level dive. gas has been analyzed and you have plenty to get a decent dive in.

what the problem is?

I agree. Sorry, but for me, there's a point of *over*-communication that I'd like to avoid. If your gas is still within the parameters of the dive plan, I'm really not overly concerned if it's lower than usual. Keep track of it and if it changes such that it would affect the plan, let everyone know.

I agree. Sorry, but for me, there's a point of *over*-communication that I'd like to avoid. If your gas is still within the parameters of the dive plan, I'm really not overly concerned if it's lower than usual. Keep track of it and if it changes such that it would affect the plan, let everyone know.

lol exactly
it's a 40' dive. the britannic it ain't.
just go diving people

I think a significantly lower than expected/normal gas supply is unusual enough to inform the team leader, even if there is plenty of gas for the dive.

Because I think it's important (even on a recreational dive) for the team to know what collective resources exist, if they are needed. It's also good to alert team members to the possibility of a gas leak.

Last edited:
Just curious. Being petite as you are, why take that behemoth tank on a 60' dive?

Why not?? Nobody ever died from bringing more than enough gas for the dive. Also, HP130s aren't that behemoth, save in comparison to an AL63 or LP72. I'm a little guy and I normally wear a LP95, but I would dive HP130s if I could get my hands on a set.

Peace,
Greg

thumb the dive.

You don't know what's in that tank with old analysis tape on it. Was x pressure, o2 was added to make 32% or even he was added to make 25/25 but it wasn't topped off with air = something not good.

Personally i think you are focusing way too much on the fact that your volume was less than anticipated (but still adequate for the profile - so i agree no big deal) when the real issue is that you had no idea what you were breathing.
+ 1

Well, if somebody showed me a gauge that was 1000 psi less than I expected, I'd assume they'd had a leak, a freeflow, or some kind of malfunction, and I'd cut the dive short.

The only way I could figure out to do this one would be to write in my wetnotes that I had misread my gauge and had less gas. But that would be a hassle, and since I still had enough gas to stay within parameters and complete the dive as planned (or more) I didn't think it needed to be communicated. It seems to me that you let the leader know if the gas changes the dive plan.

Disregarding the analysis issue:

I'd want you to communicate it to me. I have a habit of glancing at my buddies gauge when it's clipped off on their hip when I check mine. If I looked at yours and noted it that low with no communication from you on it, I'd be momentarily alarmed.

At that point I'd (?), signal gauge and ask if you're ok. Barring evidence of leaks, if you responded back with ok, I'd continue the dive. Not knowing why your tanks are suddenly below what was expected, I'd keep a close watch for the rest of the dive and we'd discuss it on the surface.

Why not?? Nobody ever died from bringing more than enough gas for the dive. Also, HP130s aren't that behemoth, save in comparison to an AL63 or LP72. I'm a little guy and I normally wear a LP95, but I would dive HP130s if I could get my hands on a set.

I own one for deeper single cylinder diving. I am 6'1", 220lbs and struggle to lift, etc. Only when the circumstances call for...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom