NOVA on Cave Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Did I hear correctly...when the young lady was explaining rebreathers, did she say that1 out of every 10 sold malfunction? I hope I heard wrong or my son is NOT getting into rebreather diving!

Bob
I think it is clear by now that the '1 in 10 dies on a RB' was not correct at face value. I don't know why Jill said that, but it obviously attracted attention.

For the record:
10 in 10 rebreathers will malfunction at some point, most under water given the long exposure times. It is inherent to any (electro)mechanical device. This is why training is so important. It helps understand the principles of RB diving, the unit operations and train your brain and body to address issues under water.

RB diving is not for the faint hearted, especially in caves. But with the right attitude and training, the benefits for me outweigh the risks.

I watched the entire program. Overall I enjoyed the program. There was an older gentleman who was interviewed numerous times, I don't know his name. But OMG he was over-the-top melodramatic. The word "Dork" comes to mind. Is this guy real?

wes skiles? google him.

Both Wes and Brian have said that the dialogue that ended up in the show was heavily edited, to the point of taking parts from different sentences and putting them together, and did not end up saying what they meant to say at all.

As Marci says, Google Skiles. He is, indeed, very real. And I think without a doubt the finest cave dive videographer there is.

i tell ya, if it were me i'd be *really* upset about editing like that and would consider suing. that's not even just taking a quote out of context, which i'd also be mad about, but more like making **** up with my face attached. i'd be livid.

They got money out of it to support their research. I think they are shrugging their shoulders and getting back to work -- at least Brian's blog says they are.

for me, it would have to be a *lot* to make up for forcing me to look like i said some of that crap.

i tell ya, if it were me i'd be *really* upset about editing like that and would consider suing.

But then you'd re-read the release you signed...and shrug your shoulders and get back to work.

:eyebrow:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom