Novice diver looking for 4/5-day trip to Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One of these days I'm finally gonna see this mythical herd of scuba diving Cozumel cattle and finally be able to mark that off my bucket list.

You'd think I'd have run into them after 6 trips, considering how many boats they rent out!

Well, I haven't seen any cows- but I've definitely seen the boats with 20-30 people on them.

That doesn't look like fun to me. But clearly it works for some, because they sure were full.

Well, I haven't seen any cows- but I've definitely seen the boats with 20-30 people on them.

That doesn't look like fun to me. But clearly it works for some, because they sure were full.
They're full because of groups who buy the packages, arrive, then have no choice. Cozumel is too easy to do without a group & organizer.

So my buddy and I are thinking we'd like to be efficient and stay at an all-inclusive with one site or next door dive ops, with no taxis to pick-up etc. we are only planning 2 or 3 days of diving.

does Scuba Club still fit that profile? Any others for comparison's sake?

So my buddy and I are thinking we'd like to be efficient and stay at an all-inclusive with one site or next door dive ops, with no taxis to pick-up etc. we are only planning 2 or 3 days of diving.

Sure, Scuba Club, Hotel Cozumel with Dive Paradise or any of many other Ops that will pick you up there, or almost any of the many All Inclusive resorts.

Scuba Club is AI except for alcohol, and most all the AI resorts on south have an in house op, but most of the smaller ops will arrange pickup there too, it's not a hassle to arrange.

I would think if you are going AI and not diving everyday, I would head south to like the Occidental Grand or something in the Sabor etc place that was Wyndam. Get the really AI feel with a fair beach and liquor. Iberostar was nice, but the SOBs charge dive ops 60 or 80 bucks to pick you up from the dock. Some ops are having people wade to the boat. (good for them!!) (#stillforboycottingIberostar)

Sunscape Sabor was a great budget AI, and Secrets next door is a little more luxurious. You can dive with the house op, or with almost any op in Cozumel- since the pier is right there and they will pick you up. When we stayed there, the pier was like Grand Central Station in the morning with all the boats coming and going to pick up divers.

The pier is closer to Secrets than Sabor, but it's like a 3 minute walk from Sabor. Really really convenient. Two pools, multiple restaurants with no reservations required. Multiple bars (but no swim up bar, Secrets has that). Sabor has a drink mini fridge refilled daily with beer, soda, and water- no liquor in the room, no food room service (at least not last year).

If diving is not the focus of your vacation, I don't think I'd stay at Scuba Club Cozumel.

Scuba Club & Hotel Coz are a short walk into town, while Blue Angel is about 3/4 mile further out but is still a walkable distance at that time of year (not TOO hot) and Park Royal is a long walk. If trips into town to explore the shops & restaurants sound interesting stay at one of them. OR if you want to stay on a real beach, don't expect to spend much time in town the southern hotel zone may be a better fit; or rent a car to head into town but taxi fare gets expensive down at that end of the island.
Hotel grounds tours, island map & more can be found here.

Picasa Web Albums - Larry

As for dive ops we all have favorites & I use a few to stay in touch with friends Most will look after you quite well as long as you let them know up front you're a rookie & want extra attention. That said Scuba Tony has been the best I've dove with over the years when it comes to helping / offering useful suggestions / keeping an eye on rookies BUT in general he doesn't pick up at hotels north of the Caletta (the marina where his boats are kept). If you stay south of there he'll pick you up & drop you off otherwise there's the additional expense of getting to & from the Caletta.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom